Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using old laptop as media server. Reduce power consumption.

Options
  • 02-02-2016 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭

I'm re-purposing an old laptop to use as a media server.
    I'm looking for ways to reduce power consumption as id like it to be running almost all the time.

Things i can think of.
    1. Remove DVD drive.
    2. Disconnect display power cable.
    3. Disable GPU device driver.

Anything else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

See if it'll run with the battery removed. Disable anything wireless (WiFi/Bluetooth/etc) if you're going to be using ethernet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

ya good idea about the battery. Im going to be leaving the wireless on as im going to be using it with Chromecast, but ya will disable the bluetooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

ya good idea about the battery. Im going to be leaving the wireless on as im going to be using it with Chromecast, but ya will disable the bluetooth.
    Chromecast doesn't connect directly to your computer Wi-Fi, it'll connect to your access point. Unless this laptop is your wireless access point? If your laptop is wired back to the access point it won'd need it's own Wi-Fi.

Ah forgot about that. Ok great.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

If its running Window s ,shut down service,s eg wifi ,blue tooth,
    Remote diagnostic, this frees up ram,
    put in a 500gig sata drive or a 200gg ssd ,
    ssd drives use less power ,
    maybe reduce resolution to 1024x768
    reduce brightness to 1 per cent,
    I presume you are just playing files of the laptop .
    Have at least 5 gig free space on drive c .
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/how-to-delete-a-windows-service-in-vista-or-xp/
    more ram reduces disk acess ,put in 2-4gig .
    if close to router connect using ethernet cable

.http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/6-lightweight-linux-distributions-give-pc-lease-life/
    Some versions of linux run from a 2gig or 4gig drive ,
    This may save power .Windows has power saving modes to spin down hardrive
    after a time set by the user ,
    If no files are being played .
    Keep laptop away from heat sources, radiator,s ,
    a cool laptop uses less power .
    leave space around it for air to circulate .

if The laptop has fan outlet ports underneath ,put it on a stand .
    my laptop is great ,but it gets hot as the only air outlet is underneath the case,
    I have to raise it up a bit otherwise it gets really hot .

http://g02.a.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1PL9uIFXXXXXkapXXq6xXFXXXd/New-Design-Aluminum-Laptop-Stand-For-MacBook-A
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/5-great-linux-media-cente-distributions-transform-tv/

• Advertisement

I've realised my laptop only has a dedicated GPU. It doesn't have an onboard chip.

Is there any way to disable the device driver temporarily until a reboot?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Even headless any OS you'll be familiar with needs at least terminal level output so some basic display adapter is required.

The Mobo is going to supply power to the GPU no matter what you do, but it won't clock up unless "3D Mode" is triggered so it will operate at minimal power consumption.

Really laptops are designed to live for a few hours on a small 6 cell battery, they're reasonably efficient from factory so there are little gains left for you to make.

I disable at least 5 windows services,they take up ram,eg i,ll never need bluetooth,or remote diagnostics,or fax,tablet input services on windows .

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/10-things/10-plus-windows-7-services-you-may-not-need/

There,s linux os distros that run on 512meg ram on older pc,s .
    less services=more ram avaidable=a more effecient laptop ,

Saying every laptop os is totally effIcient is not true,
    a standard windows os runs many services for business users that i,ll never use or need .
    i,ll never use bluetooth or tablet mode on my dual core 2.0ghz laptop.
    I use 3g data or wifi on my new android phone,
    i use airdroid to share files from phone to pc ,laptop with the chrome browser app.
    I cannot think of a reason to use bluettoth on any device i have.
    Go to settings switch off aero in windows 7,
    go to windows settings ,
    set laptop for max performance ,
    This switches off various visual effects .

http://www.pcmag.com/slideshow_viewer/0,3253,l=251692&a=251692&po=12,00.asp

i think if you enter safe mode ,vga mode , it,ll stop the ati, or nvidia device drivers from loading .reboot laptop,
    Press f8 to acess safe mode,
    use arrow, up,down keys , enter keys to select vga mode .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

ED E wrote: »
    Even headless any OS you'll be familiar with needs at least terminal level output so some basic display adapter is required.
    Linux runs fine with no display adapter. I repurposed several old (no onboard graphics) desktop machines to run as home servers running Mandrake/Mandriva and only popped in a PCI graphics card for setup or troubleshooting.

I see OP has run openSUSE in a VM before so will be at least somewhat familiar with it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Add in WoL , Wake On Lan , and you can leave it off most of the time waking it up only when needed.
    If it's a corporate laptop there's usually an option to wake up at a certain time.

If the BIOS allows you could underclock / undervolt it.

Laptop uses maybe 30Watts* which works out at 262 units of electricity a year so €50 a year if on 24/7
    *multiply the battery AH by the voltage and divide by the hours it could stay on for a rough estimate. Remember the charger is for max power while charging the battery too.

• Advertisement

Switch off wifi,.if using ethernet,
    some laptops have wifi on/off switch.

Switch off bluetooth service in windows.

Advertisement