Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Here's what I saw today, mark 3 (don't quote pictures, 24h ban!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,616 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

I'm assuming most people here have seen the original film?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

ba_barabus wrote: »
    I'm assuming most people here have seen the original film?

Cannonball? Great movie and stellar line-up. I'd say they had savage craic making it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

DaveyDave wrote: »
    All these cars are heavily sponsored, are they just paid to drive across the country for a Gumball event? That's it? No official course or anything, just get from A to B as fast as possible without getting caught for speeding...I appreciate a big convoy road trip (Do they still have the big parties at checkpoints?) but I feel like I'm missing something...

Must be really boring driving €250,000 sports cars at 120kph :p

You pay to enter. The sponsors are all from the event organisers themselves and most rallys require you to display them in certain places on your car and reserve a certain percentage of space for them. Gumball for example, about 50% of the car space is for Gumballs sponsors, the rest you can do yourself. Some rallies ban all other sponsors. A good percentage of ralliers treat the events as holidays, and some of them manage to have the whole thing bank rolled by sponsors or their own activities e.g. VLogging.

All the rallies, there is no prize for speed or time between checkpoints as thats considered street racing in most juristions. Likewise, you can't place bets or wagers. The legal loophole however is that you can be given a prize for being the best navigator e.g. You are consistently first (or placed) at each checkpoint. How you do this, depends on your tactics i.e. Fast as possible, or take a different route to avoid cops. So even though they don't tell you to speed, you probably will if you care about such a prize. In my experience, only a small percentage of the group care, the rest just enjoy the ride and stay in convoy.

Cannonball is very, very tame by comparison to the antics that Gumball, Goldrush and Bullrun get or got up to in the States and farther afield. Gumball has calmed down a lot and Goldrush is very much above board to avoid any negative attention. Bullrun, at the last one and the mid 2000s, was nuts. You'd have multiple arrests per day and thousands in fines.

Yes, they have parties at checkpoints. Bullrun and Gumball probably had the best in their heyday. Goldrush would be up there too. Irish Cannonball, I have no idea but given its in Ireland, the question is answered there.

That said, the whole point is the community in my eyes. Amazing people, great stories and good fun. If you ever have the resources to do one, even Modball, I'd strongly suggest it.

(Feel free to AMA about Bullrun or Gumball, I've worked on and with both)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭Shpudnik

427423.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Pics not showing shpudnik

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭Marcinek_55

Remember videos on "extreme channel" from Gumball years ago. The way there were driving was just cool to watch but "don't do it at home". Speeding on hard shoulder, race everyone and everything and now it's more family raod trip than what it was...

But now back to Ireland and Cannonball. I've been there on Thursday. What I found weird this year was that cars with no sticker were sended away and they back after few minutes covered whit that shi*e. Every year I'm saying the same about stickers, They changed a bit for all those years but no matter how much they change I will still moan about them. I hate stickers on cars. Car which is 10/10 without them look like 6 or 7/10 with them for me. Last year on Thursday there was good chance to take a photos of cars without them, this year until 7pm when I was leaving there was 8 cars without them and they were clean only for no more than 5 minutes and after that there was a stickers team putting them on.

Location is great. I love background at Point Village. If you there early enough you can have good photos of cars arriving there but around half 5/6 crowd is becoming really big but then if you miss some cars at Point Village you have another 3 days to catch them somewhere on checkpoint or passing some nice village or nice road.

Cars in race are good too. Not expecting Paganis and Koenigseggs or any other hypercars. Even if most of cars are the same for years there is something new every year. I'm spoiled in supercars. I saw so many of them, so many "normal" Ferrari or Lamborghini that somethimes they just bored to look at but I still think Cannonball have good selection. I probably say something different every year but sometimes I expect more from events and when I go i'm dissapointed like I was last year with Fundracer and this year it was really good for me, same with Cannonball. Think it all depend of what mood I am.

STICKERS are the only thing I can and I will moan about. HATE THEM!!!

Now here are some photos I took yesterday on Thursday between 1pm and 7pm when I was there.
    sxDRiHm.jpg
    ObNY4oA.jpg
    YHB0l3H.jpg
    j5ouZkS.jpg
    21alK5g.jpg
    p5CH5A8.jpg
    6aTn5V2.jpg
    KoMOIuu.jpg
    QvW58EB.jpg
    CPnEAxX.jpg
    qKLaSkM.jpg
    bmyyUXv.jpg
    U0lcYoj.jpg
    T6Ui4e5.jpg
    9BJZPHl.jpg

Pics not showing shpudnik

I can see it :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭moonlighting

How much does it cost to enter

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Shpudnik wrote: »
    I can see it :confused:

I can't see it either all I see is a blank post.

I can't see it either all I see is a blank post.

How about now?

• Advertisement

Showing now shpud. You were down there early.

Showing now shpud. You were down there early.

And there till they left. Great event though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Passed a number of the Cannonballers on my way to work this evening. Funny to see so much exotica trundling along in a line of rush-hour traffic at 100kph.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,216 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I'm in Tilburg in The Netherlands. Apparently this is where the Tesla factory is? Makes sense since I've seen 3 or 4 already. I'll start taking pics (if i remember)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,388 ✭✭✭ofcork

Personally I think the line up is a little poor this year it's fantastic they have kept it going for 9 years but needs more no Zonda koenigsegg or carrera gt a veyron has never taken part?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

ofcork wrote: »
    Personally I think the line up is a little poor this year it's fantastic they have kept it going for 9 years but needs more no Zonda koenigsegg or carrera gt a veyron has never taken part?

There was a zonda and koenigsegg there last year, I don't know if they were driven.

Apparently some have issues with yellow plates coming over for it but it's the only way we're going to to see some of the above mentioned cars take part.

I'd love to see them all but I don't know if anyone in Ireland has one? (I know there was a veyron but never heard of any paganI or kegg here)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,216 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I've never heard of anyone in this country have anything like that on Irish plates. People who can afford to buy those types of cars can and do live anywhere. The roads in Ireland suck and you'd have to pay a ridiculous amount of vrt to bring one in so they just leave them in the uk

• Registered Users Posts: 5,388 ✭✭✭ofcork

I know the zonda segg and Carrera gt were there 2 years ago would be nice if they could get more exotica over,there used to be a show on tv late night covering the bullrun.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭goochy

Saw an even rarer car in naas today , 2016 D reg dark blue maybach mercedes S600 . Michael Moore on plates . Was too busy looking at car to see who driving . Michael Moore likes his top end mercs. So could have been his car.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

goochy wrote: »
    Saw an even rarer car in naas today , 2016 D reg dark blue maybach mercedes S600 . Michael Moore on plates . Was too busy looking at car to see who driving . Michael Moore likes his top end mercs. So could have been his car.

Pics?

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭wyf437gn6btzue

jozi wrote: »
    There was a zonda and koenigsegg there last year, I don't know if they were driven.

Apparently some have issues with yellow plates coming over for it but it's the only way we're going to to see some of the above mentioned cars take part.

I'd love to see them all but I don't know if anyone in Ireland has one? (I know there was a veyron but never heard of any paganI or kegg here)

Seen in an article over 40% of the cars in it were yellow plates (I`d say more in reality) Any of the nicer cars certainly were. The zonda and egg that were here in 2015 were from a dealer who brought them over for it. The cgt mentioned is owned by an Irish chap and was on it a few times (he brought his sv this year and last). In all respects there could be more really nice metal over from the uk or northern Ireland, why there isn't I don`t know but I`d bet you`d see more in the future.

Even though in majority it was the same cars as last I`m not complaining, there is something about the smell of burning unleaded and half-clothed press girls wondering around that makes you forget about it :D:D

Few photos I took below, Still have loads to edit.

36985041531_ff4a9c6037_c.jpg

36291231334_fd3655d313_c.jpg

36291232284_0debd0114f_c.jpg

36314137263_83a04f6355_c.jpg

36291234244_4f0b9c9427_c.jpg

36291235494_f7995ebc44_c.jpg

36314144713_0299d35d3e_c.jpg

36314146753_68ebcac3bb_c.jpg

36314148673_fcee8426f5_c.jpg

36291240344_b6a4fa684f_c.jpg

36955988152_7a3593913e_c.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭wyf437gn6btzue

goochy wrote: »

Not Michaels car afaik, arrived a day or two before Christmas last year and was reg`d in the new year. Seen pics of it the day it was delivered, it`s a stunning machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭goochy

Didn't get a good look , wasn't that blown away by it when it was passing but still would be my dream luxury car until new Phantom comes . Only ever seen 2 for sale in uk

A family member had a business meeting in The Netherlands this week. They were collected in one of these:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/86894/bmw-m5-30th-anniversary-edition-revealed-with-592bhp

Only €196k new over there and absolutely insane I was told.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

A family member had a business meeting in The Netherlands this week. They were collected in one of these:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/86894/bmw-m5-30th-anniversary-edition-revealed-with-592bhp

Only €196k new over there and absolutely insane I was told.

Only??
    https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/bmw/m5/bmw-m5-m5-30-jahre-edition-4dr-dct/7287422

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Cannon ball was in my local town today. I was in town after they were gone and there was a fair amount of zig zag 11's put down.

It cost the man 196k when he bought it new. I've met him a few times and he has a 911 gt2 as his weekend car. The m5 is the daily driver. The tax system on new cars is even more punitive than here I believe so the price is accurate enough.

427501.JPGThe engine of a Ferrari 456

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Bargain_Hound

One of many in Italy during the week - this one stood out

x3zw4h.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭E36Ross

Anyone get a pic of the Fiesta towing a Fiesta on the N7 / M7 yesterday?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement