Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Here's what I saw today, mark 3 (don't quote pictures, 24h ban!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Was it in the wild or at a dealer's? If at a dealers it could be a dealer plate like what you might see down south "161-D-0000" just to show the year and reduce the chances of cloning.

I'd be more thinking it's a handy way of covering up that you've a forecourt full of imports.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

vandriver wrote: »
    Edit Jersey maybe?

Jersey number plates start with "J" and have 6 numeric digits after that. So not a Jersey number plate. They would also typically have a "GBJ" logo, where we have a "IRL" EU logo.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Big Nasty wrote: »
    I'd be more thinking it's a handy way of covering up that you've a forecourt full of imports.

What a strange view :confused: those "000" plates are used by dealers for display purposes to let Irish buyers know straight away what year the car they're looking at is. The year on the plate is a major factor Irish buyers take into consideration when buying new and used cars. It's the deciding factor for a lot of buyers here.

Not strange at all. If you had an Irish reg 2016 car for sale would you really bother your bollox removing the plates and changing them to 161-D-0000?

If you had a 2016 UK reg car on other hand.........

Not strange at all. If you had an Irish reg 2016 car for sale would you really bother your bollox removing the plates and changing them to 161-D-0000?

If you had a 2016 UK reg car on other hand.........

Of course not. it's immediately apparent to any potential buyer that cars with those '0000' plates are imports that haven't been registered in Ireland yet so I can't understand why you think this is a way for dealers to "hide' the fact that they're imports - it's literally doing the opposite and distinguishing them as imports.

• Advertisement

What do you think stands out as an import more? A big yellow plate or a white IRL plate with 161-D-XXXX on it?

Yeah, thought so.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,960 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Do you think their strategy is to tempt the prospective customer onto the forecourt by hiding the fact that it's an import and depend on their sales patter to sell it to them anyway?

Of course if the buyer is not from Dublin he will get the car registered in his own county so the 161-D never arises.

What do you think stands out as an import more? A big yellow plate or a white IRL plate with 161-D-XXXX on it?

Yeah, thought so.

What do you believe is wrong with dealers selling UK imports? A higher spec'd car in better condition with a better history compared to its Irish equivalent in most cases - why are you so insistent that dealers are trying to hide something from potential buyers when the eventual owner will know well that it's an import anyway? :confused:

elperello wrote: »
    Do you think their strategy is to tempt the prospective customer onto the forecourt by hiding the fact that it's an import and depend on their sales patter to sell it to them anyway?.

'Hiding' might be taking it a step to far I guess. There's nothing wrong with imports of course. Having a forecourt full of yellow plates doesn't sit well with a lot of people though. IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

The only people that wouldn't sit well with are SIMI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

MOD: Hiding or not hiding, let's just leave it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭jrar

Our roads are good for manufacturer testing.
    What is it to the gardai as long as it is registered in the EU and road legal?

Well in the case of this one, the 'W' plate indicates demo cars at a dealer, but I wasn't aware that they could be used outside of France i.e. should have a temp transit plate for anywhere else.

Anyone know the definitive ruling ?

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭jrar

49035871547_a09b159016_c.jpg

49035774871_736cc2b0fe_c.jpg

49036012152_0fbb28b687_c.jpg

49035637966_a86db47ea4_c.jpg

49035123728_723786e147_c.jpg

49035841062_9050807cf1_c.jpg

49035121603_0d0568fa4b_c.jpg

49035840842_fe064f57b1_c.jpg

49035840192_962ac36c4b_c.jpg

49035618431_041fa2f434_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

jrar wrote: »

Any idea what's going on with the 500 and the weird narrow track?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

eljono wrote: »
    Any idea what's going on with the 500 and the weird narrow track?

Back axle is converted, engine power output is limited and then they are reclassified as tricycles and thus can be driven by 16 year olds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Seen in south Dublin last few days. A lady driving a 192 reg. Mercedes GLS AMG 5.5L
    I must be seeing things. Looked it up on Carzone.... 186K

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Back axle is converted, engine power output is limited and then they are reclassified as tricycles and thus can be driven by 16 year olds.

Interesting, seems quite extreme when there are cars like Ligiers and Aixams designed for that purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,960 ✭✭✭✭elperello

eljono wrote: »
    Interesting, seems quite extreme when there are cars like Ligiers and Aixams designed for that purpose.

Gas, it's probably because kids think these are cooler.

Interesting story about them here.

https://jalopnik.com/theres-actually-a-decent-reason-why-germans-will-spend-1794673235

If you have the head space :).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

kEEConH.jpg

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

This was immaculate inside and out. Baby seat in the back so it's being used too which gets an extra bonus point...

49043338316_843809dcca.jpg

49043552467_dc531d1b6d.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Porsche are doing their thing in the NW again. Drove past a convoy of three new models testing this morning. Think the first one was the Panamera Turismo, which reminded of the Ferrari FF. Had to google Porsche estate to know what it was. Followed by two new 911s. I wonder what the appeal of Ireland is for them? Surely they can recreate crappy roads and pot holes closer to home. I reckon it's the engineers pulling one that they have to go for testing, to get their annual holiday and feed of stout.

1449ea9b7dd400fdd66a7e362da773f1

• Registered Users Posts: 9,616 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Porsche are doing their thing in the NW again. Drove past a convoy of three new models testing this morning. Think the first one was the Panamera Turismo, which reminded of the Ferrari FF. Had to google Porsche estate to know what it was. Followed by two new 911s. I wonder what the appeal of Ireland is for them? Surely they can recreate crappy roads and pot holes closer to home. I reckon it's the engineers pulling one that they have to go for testing, to get their annual holiday and feed of stout.

1449ea9bdd400fdd66a7e362da773f1

There is a lot of the development bases based around Galway. And it's genuinely hard to recreate cr@p roads in a country that only has good ones! We can supply thousands of miles of the genuine article for a fraction of the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

vintagevrs wrote: »

1449ea9b7dd400fdd66a7e362da773f1

There was 4 of those heading west on the cork macroom road round 11 today

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

192 Audi A7 5.0 in an aldi car park last night

Obviously all the money they've been saving has allowed them to get a nice car

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

192 Audi A7 5.0 in an aldi car park last night
    The 5.0 you thought you saw was actually a 50 TDI which is a 3.0ltr diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Sharp MZ700

Caught me out the first time I saw one too....282 bhp starting at €77,000!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

fletch wrote: »
    The 5.0 you thought you saw was actually a 50 TDI which is a 3.0ltr diesel.

Thanks. Dark Aldi car park at night in a heavy rain shower.
    Serious motor though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Absolutely immaculate VW van in Kinsale

attachment.php?attachmentid=495336&stc=1&d=1573746872
    attachment.php?attachmentid=495337&stc=1&d=1573746880

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Bentley Continental GT (2018 reg) on the Brewery Road Stillorgan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Parapara2017

nx1qLEJ.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement