Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help with training aggressive boxer Cork area

• 02-02-2016 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi All

We got a 4yr old boxer in November rehomed as he out-grew his previous owners. He was a bit full on as expected for a boxer and pulled hard on the lead but settled well into our family and is a real slob around the house.

We sorted the pulling on the lead with a soft control lead which has really helped.

He is very aggressive though with dogs and new people, mainly men, and I wouldn't be confident that he wouldn't 'go' for someone. I want him to be with others as he is with us, wariness of new dogs and people is fine but not full on cross..

He surprised me recently though when he was off the lead and met our neighbours dogs, the neighbour was cool enough and said to let him be when I was trying to restrain him, his dogs and my boxer growled a bit at each other and sniffed a bit but that was all, no drama.

The other day though he charged out of our drive and according to my wife 'went for' a small dog owned by another elderly neighbour, I wasn't there but was really uptight about hearing that, I don't think there was physical contact but nobody was the better for it ..

We need to have more control over him, but when he is distracted by a situation he doesn't listen

We have spoken with 2 local trainers, they think they can help but understandably need to meet us and our dog for an assessment. Training is expensive and I don't want to commit to a trainer unless I know they can help us, any recommendations or thoughts would be greatly appreciated..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Do you know the home he came out of? Or his background?
    He may not have ever learned how to "meet" other dogs properly. Do you have any friends with dogs?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 -AS

thanks for your reply

I met with and spoke with previous owners before we took him, asked how he behaved around other dogs, they brushed it off saying that he barks back if a dog barks at him but no major issues..

Just need to figure out now how best to sort it. I think training is needed, really looking for endorsement of Cork trainers before I make the commitment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

I have no experience, but from hanging around here, I know that not all trainers/behaviorist are created equally and things to check are regarding there methods of training. If they talk about your dog trying to be dominant over you and pack theory this is probably an indicator that they haven't updated their skills or knowledge.

Have a look at this website
    http://apdt.ie/index.php/find-a-trainer/dog-trainers-in-cork/

And someone else might be along with personal recommendations for the Cork area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

I've dealt with Liz through Creedons Doggie Day Care. We did classes with her and had a one on one session with her before too. Highly recommend her.

I've also heard really good things about Ilse in Rockchapel and Nanci in Creedons also.

I'd be weary of anyone else in the Cork area tbh, i'd say there are a lot of chancers out there.

Advertisement