Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crossing a picket line

Options
  • 02-02-2016 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭

What happens when one of a number of unions in a workplace calls a strike? Do the remaining staff report to work as usual and do customers have access.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Unless your Union are picketing then go to work as normal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

Never cross a picket, regardless of your union membership status.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

Go to work unless your own union ballots in favour of strike action.

Anyone who gives you grief about crossing the picket unless your union is also 'out' is a fool.

Without your own union serving strike action notice, you won't have a leg to stand on if you don't go to work.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

And face disciplinary action for not showing up to work?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,572 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Stheno wrote: »

Yea, but you can live of the union morals, right ??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

_Brian wrote: »
    Yea, but you can live of the union morals, right ??

Not really getting your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,572 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Not really getting your point?

Sorry. I didn't agree with previous post about not crossing the picket. It's risking your job. To have that attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,969 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Which is likely to be less unpleasant than the unofficial "disciplinary action" taken by union members if you cross their picket line.

It's a hard call OP. Look to your own union for advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

It's a really difficult one.

What if you don't agree with the reason for the picket?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Customers do have access, pickets cannot block public access to a premises.

Union members could also find themselves fired for being intimidating or abusive to customers entering the premises, as this is gross misconduct separate from the strike action.
    It's a really difficult one.

What if you don't agree with the reason for the picket?
    Any civilised person would recognise the individual's right to disagree with a picket and go back to work. Unfortunately those who engage in unions are rarely rational, so if you're seen going in the union's staunchest supporters - who are usually a little bit unhinged anyway - will try to make life in work difficult for you. And because they're union cronies, your workplace will be wary about going after them for bullying, etc, and the union itself won't step in.

One of the main reasons I'll never join a union.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭heffomike54

I have crossed a picket line union before and I think if you are friendly to the people on strike they will understand your position of having to protect your job. Still not an enjoyable thing to have to do plus the work atmosphere is very strange on days like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

How longs the strike? Could you call in sick.

If you plan on going to work, there's not much you can other than go to work. Or join that union if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

TallGlass wrote: »

If you plan on going to work, there's not much you can other than go to work. Or join that union if you can.

Just to note calling in sick on a day strike action is going ahead will be viewed very poorly and you run the risk of disciplinary action being taken for A breach of the sick leave policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Most places have more restrictive policies on sick leave and annual leave when there's industrial action.

If you're not on strike, you don't have legal protections if you don't cross. It's more a moral question as to whether you chose to cross one or not. If you're in a union not taking action, that union should be talking to management about respecting members who chose not to cross.

Most subsequent ill feeling I've seen in such circumstances are where the people stand to benefit if the action is successful but don't partake or if those crossing go out of their way to make a point of crossing (I've seen people deliberately barge through picket lines and stuff like that). Non union members are equally likely to be "unhinged" and to go out of their way to cause issues.

Most people on both sides will respect the choice you feel you have to make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

There are other options. It is not unknown for non-union members or members of non-striking unions to state that they will not cross a picket and simply not attend work. They will lose the day's pay/pension, but given that advance notice is given, there is usually no disciplinary impact.

Taking holidays or a sickie is a big no-no.
    Macy0161 wrote: »
    Most subsequent ill feeling I've seen in such circumstances are where the people stand to benefit if the action is successful but don't partake or if those crossing go out of their way to make a point of crossing (I've seen people deliberately barge through picket lines and stuff like that). Non union members are equally likely to be "unhinged" and to go out of their way to cause issues.

Talk to anyone who worked in the big banks. People were divided for literally decades after the long drawn out 1976 strike into those who did and those who didn't - very bad feeling arose.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭txt_mess

It's always going to be personal choice so just make sure you are clear on why you will / will not cross the line and I think you can morally be ok.

Never been part of a union but I do see both sides here I have seen pickets for really good reasons and some not so.

I have crossed picket lines in the past and gotten comments to which my answer was are you or the union going to pay my bills and that's the truth of it at the end of the day if you risk your job make sure you can afford to lose it as without the union protection it just like any other day of work for you.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

RainyDay wrote: »
    Talk to anyone who worked in the big banks. People were divided for literally decades after the long drawn out 1976 strike into those who did and those who didn't - very bad feeling arose.
    I was union rep for my bank branch in 2011, and one woman who crossed the picket in the 70s wanted to get back in the union, so she came to me to do it. When I asked union HQ what the deal was, she was sent out this form, and she had to get people who were in the union at that time to sign it saying they didn't object to her being allowed to re-join. I think she had to get something like 10 signatures. I thought she'd have no problem getting them - she got 3.

OP if you are in a union and they aren't striking, they should already have issued communications about whether you should cross. I don't suppose there's any way you could work from home on the day of the strike?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

Toots wrote: »
    I was union rep for my bank branch in 2011, and one woman who crossed the picket in the 70s wanted to get back in the union, so she came to me to do it. When I asked union HQ what the deal was, she was sent out this form, and she had to get people who were in the union at that time to sign it saying they didn't object to her being allowed to re-join. I think she had to get something like 10 signatures. I thought she'd have no problem getting them - she got 3.

This is what I hate about unions. They claim to be democratic but that couldn't be further from the truth.

If she didn't agree with this particular strike then she was well within her rights to cross the picket. She may well have agreed with every other industrial action proposed by the union, but because she crossed 1 picket line she was instantly ostracised.

It's effectively a political whip system.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Macy0161

This is what I hate about unions. They claim to be democratic but that couldn't be further from the truth.

If she didn't agree with this particular strike then she was well within her rights to cross the picket. She may well have agreed with every other industrial action proposed by the union, but because she crossed 1 picket line she was instantly ostracised.

I would take the member choosing not to abide by the majority vote to be the one with the problem with democracy tbh. You make you're argument against a course of action before a vote, but then abide by it if you lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I would take the member choosing not to abide by the majority vote to be the one with the problem with democracy tbh. You make you're argument against a course of action before a vote, but then abide by it if you lose.

I'd never join a union myself but would have to agree with Macy. When you join up you've got to be willing to go with the majority vote, that's the what democracy is, otherwise why bother balloting?

• Advertisement

You seem confused about what 'democracy' means. We live in a democracy, but we don't get to ignore the laws we disagree with. It's the same for a union - if you're not prepared to be part of 'strength in numbers', you have no business in a union. If you expect other members to support your issues, you need to support theirs - all agreed through democratic processes of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

Toots wrote: »

OP if you are in a union and they aren't striking, they should already have issued communications about whether you should cross. I don't suppose there's any way you could work from home on the day of the strike?

In alot of places, you may also be putting future career advances at risk by crossing the picket line. Those picketing will not want you to work with them if they are ever in the position to promote someone.

Those who are high up in many unionized companies were once union members and only quit because they are now very senior management. So would probably have a soft spot for the union. I know plenty of managers who won't hire people who have crossed picket lines.

Your own union should have issued instructions regarding the picket. If not you should strongly consider staying at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

You get a vote in any decision to engage in industrial action. You are obliged to fully support the outcome as a union member.

If this was not the case unions would be weak. You should support the decision of your colleagues even if you disagree.

FrStone wrote: »
    ....I know plenty of managers who won't hire people who have crossed picket lines....

I know plenty of managers who won't hire people who would refuse to cross picket lines when they weren't striking themselves.

If I had an employee who called in sick or refused to cross the picket line when their union wasn't striking, I'd have no hesitation in enforcing company disciplinary procedures against that individual.

Union officials only care about themselves and the majority view. Every union has a minority of members who are pushed to one side and sometimes sacrificed for the 'greater good'. Another form of self serving politics and to hell with anyone who doesn't agree.

I'd rather be judged on my individual merits than have a union protected mentality. Solidarity isn't all its cracked up to be. Unions treat dissenting members with the most venomous responses so why would anyone in this day and age want to be a part of that?

You should support the decision of your colleagues even if you disagree.

Why? Because that's the union way?

What's wrong with someone standing by the convictions of their own conscience and principles?

If you disagree, you disagree. Why should you have to put up and shut up, just because everyone else takes an opposing view?

I know how it works. I just don't understand WHY it remains that way. People are more educated, better equipped and supported in the workplace today. National and international legislation along with social welfare systems provide for the people, while unions simply make doing business more difficult, reducing competitiveness and weakening the value of an Irish workforce as a production or service input.

If someone is happy to go along with something they disagree with, just because others say they should, they're a bit of an idiot.

Even in government, there's an opposition. They don't bully each other the way union workers do. That's really saying something.

If I had an employee who called in sick or refused to cross the picket line when their union wasn't striking, I'd have no hesitation in enforcing company disciplinary procedures against that individual.
    Knock yourself out. You might find it difficult to explain to a tribunal at some stage why you took disciplinary action against employee A (non-union member) but not employee B (union member).
    Union officials only care about themselves and the majority view. Every union has a minority of members who are pushed to one side and sometimes sacrificed for the 'greater good'. Another form of self serving politics and to hell with anyone who doesn't agree.
    That's the joy and the horror of democracy for you.
    I'd rather be judged on my individual merits than have a union protected mentality. Solidarity isn't all its cracked up to be. Unions treat dissenting members with the most venomous responses so why would anyone in this day and age want to be a part of that?

That's your choice. Union membership isn't compulsory. Most members see it as a worthwhile option to help support them against poor management practices.

RainyDay wrote: »
    Knock yourself out. You might find it difficult to explain to a tribunal at some stage why you took disciplinary action against employee A (non-union member) but not employee B (union member).

That's the joy and the horror of democracy for you.

That's your choice. Union membership isn't compulsory. Most members see it as a worthwhile option to help support them against poor management practices.

I will never work for an employer who recognises a union in the first place. Without recognition, it's a moot point you're trying to make. Strength in numbers doesn't stack up so well against outstanding performance as an individual anyway and the slightest whiff of a union mentality or disruptive behaviours in the workplace from an employee and they'll be let go. Plenty of opportunity to do so. No need if they're not causing trouble and doing their job well.

Unions silence or ignore dissenting members and protect those who often don't deserve it. I'm not going to overlook all the bad in favour of the occasional good a union does for a member. Legislation and clear contracts of employment already provide adequate means for a genuine case to be heard or an employee in difficulty to be assisted.

This is bollox,
    A few years ago a building site I was working on was picketed by the TEEU.
    My fathers family business with about 7/8 staff at the time.
    None of who were union members.

So if someone pickets your workplace you just wont go in?
    So the whole job should shut down?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Why? Because that's the union way?

What's wrong with someone standing by the convictions of their own conscience and principles?

If you disagree, you disagree. Why should you have to put up and shut up, just because everyone else takes an opposing view?

If you can't accept the idea of putting aside your own opinions and going with the majority decision then you're just not the union type.

In for a penny, in for a pound. Take the rough with the smooth.

Choose a cliche.

I couldn't do it myself, that's why I'd never join one. But if a friend who was a union member asked me if they should ignore an official balloted strike I'd tell them "Hell No". Implicit in your decision to join is a decision that strength in numbers and presenting a unified front is more important than the opinion of an individual member, you must trust the collective and follow their decisions.

OP, I wouldn't necessarily say there's no way to avoid crossing the picket. Not all managers would have a problem with non-union members making alternative arrangements for the day.

I worked as a contractor when some of my client's staff went on strike. We were given clearance to work off site and just emailed files to ourselves the day before to work on.

A friend of mine is a non-union staff member in a heavily unionised organisation, when his union went out his manager had a quiet word and advised him to book holidays for the day, in his case he would have been the only member of his department in attendance and wouldn't have been productive on his own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You get a vote in any decision to engage in industrial action. You are obliged to fully support the outcome as a union member.

If this was not the case unions would be weak. You should support the decision of your colleagues even if you disagree.
    What about closed shops?

If you work in a closed shop but you disagree with the union, how is that fair?

That kind of absolutist tyranny was exactly what unions were created to fight against, not to become one themselves.

Advertisement