Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving lessons not received

Options
  • 02-02-2016 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm posting this on behalf of my OH. He paid for 12 lessons with a driving instructor (that I and several friends had previously used and found excellent). He took a few lessons, 3 or 4, and was told to get a car to practice on before booking any more lessons, because he needed more practice than the lessons alone. It took us a while to save for a car, but we finally sorted it. Last week we tried to contact the instructor to book the remaining lessons, but his website is down, his phone is out of service and his facebook page says he closed down.

My OH is out the guts of €200 now. We've tried to email the instructor, but there's been no response (the email was a business account, so it's reasonable that it wouldn't be checked now that he's out of business). We don't know how else to contact him to try and get the money back. The instructor is a decent guy, and I think he'd be reasonable about refunding us if only we could get in touch. Having said that, I'm not opposed to following this up with the small claims court if necessary....I just really hope it's not necessary!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,035 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Small Claims Court won't find the guy for you either. Your only option is to locate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

L1011 wrote: »
    Small Claims Court won't find the guy for you either. Your only option is to locate them.

I suppose I assumed going the legal route would be a way to find his address.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,035 ✭✭✭✭L1011

jokettle wrote: »

Not in this case, no. You need to provide working details for the case to be served.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

jokettle wrote: »

Lots of claims settled in the small claims court have never been paid so it wouldn't be guaranteed that you would get your payment if settled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

check cro.ie you may be able to find the registered name and his address.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭ColinJennings

Did you check out the whois information on his website?
    It sometimes has address information for the owner of the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

check cro.ie you may be able to find the registered name and his address.

Done, thank you! We'll send a letter and see how we get on.

Advertisement