Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Election 2016

Options
  • 02-02-2016 6:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭

Figured there may as well have a thread since the election is going to be announced tomorrow.

Runners announced so far: http://www.rte.ie/news/election-2016/constituencies/carlow-kilkenny/

5 TD's all running for re election. 2 FF, 2 FG and 1 LAB. Pat Deering of FG is the only Carlow based TD.

Other Carlow candidates are Jennifer Murnane-O'Connor (FF) and Adrienne Wallace (PBP-AAA-ANTI EVERYTHING).

Tbh I think all 5 seats will end up with Kilkenny based candidates. 2FF, 2 FG and Lab or sf for the last, hopefully Lab.

Don't think Pat Deering has done much for the county and haven't heard anyone talking positive of him. Seems to have been invisible for the last 5 years.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

Think carlow will only get the one seat again. I have a felling it will be jennifer murnane getting it. She seems to have a big following around town it would be bad if we didn't get a seat at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

I agree that we need one for Carlow as little as may have been done (not saying this is the case) f all would be done if we had nobody.

As said above I would prefer to not have an SF seat or politician and it is a shame that John Cassin is a member of that party as he seems to do great work. In fairness to Jennifer she kicked her campaign off in earnest last year and has been doing a phenomenal amount of door knocking and walking the streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

I dont think murnane o'connor will get the seat as a lot of her base is in graiguecullen which is the laois constituecy. For me it will be a disgrace if carlow doesn't have any representation and one has to wonder should carlow have been made a single constituency by the boundary comission.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

votecounts wrote: »
    I dont think murnane o'connor will get the seat as a lot of her base is in graiguecullen which is the laois constituecy. For me it will be a disgrace if carlow doesn't have any representation and one has to wonder should carlow have been made a single constituency by the boundary comission.

Too small. But the chunk that was hived off to Wicklow should be returned.
    Murnane O'Connor and Deering are not good candidates, they won't get much outside of Carlow. That's a huge part of the problem, the quality of the candidates from Carlow are poor at all elections i can remember. Back bench numbers on seats is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

A complete lack of a decent candidate if you ask me. Deering is a sound bloke from when I've talked to him but no one is sticking out to me. Party politics makes it a real struggle to pick a candidate

• Advertisement

feargale wrote:
    How did London v. Carlow go today? Thanks.

Carlow won 4.04 to 1.11.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

iano.p wrote: »
    Carlow won 4.04 to 1.11.

Watch all the candidates try claim credit for the win lol

On topic I see sf were out and about in Carlow today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Owryan wrote: »
    Watch all the candidates try claim credit for the win lol

On topic I see sf were out and about in Carlow today

I wouldn't be voting for them anyway but whoever it was rang my doorbell were a good 100 yards up the road when I opened the door about 15 seconds after it rang. Some canvassing that is. I also had a "sorry I missed you" left in the letterbox from Ann Phelan. I didn't leave the house until 2.30 or so when I saw the SF and Ann Phelan leaflet. Why annoy people in their homes by ringing the doorbell if you've no intention of talking to them or worse still, put in a "sorry I missed you" when you never knocked or rang the doorbell? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

New candidate in the race from the Carlow side of the constituency.

Keith Gilligan running under the Right 2 Change banner as an Ind./NP; here's his GFM Page which details why he's running >

https://www.gofundme.com/cakmqsn8

He's the 3rd R2C Candidate in the race; PBP-AAA Candidate from Carlow Adrienne Wallace & Shinner Kathleen Funchion.

Find it odd that C MacLiam of AAA-PBP is not part of this movement given the 2 Parties have united for the General Election.

Policy wise is there much difference between AAA & PBP/PBFP/PB4P and indeed the R2C (which includes R2W & R2H) movement?

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    Policy wise is there much difference between AAA & PBP/PBFP/PB4P and indeed the R2C (which includes R2W & R2H) movement?

AAA also fix your car if it breaks down

• Advertisement

Keith Gilligan running under the Right 2 Change banner as an Ind./NP; here's his GFM Page which details why he's running >

He's the 3rd R2C Candidate in the race; PBP-AAA Candidate from Carlow Adrienne Wallace & Shinner Kathleen Funchion.

Find it odd that C MacLiam of AAA-PBP is not part of this movement given the 2 Parties have united for the General Election.

Not really, they all seem to be in favour of cutting taxes, giving away money and expecting a select few to cough up the tax to pay for everything.

They also seem to think that the billions in natural resources we "might" have are the answer to everything

What is this "Right to change" non-sense though really?- all it means is taxpayers like me will have to fork out even more to sustain those who contribute nothing and never will- they see the rest of society as existing to support them. They can keep their so called change...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭hadepsx

That write up from that new candidate seems a bit odd/ slightly aggressive. And that most wanted like mugshot won't help his cause either.

hadepsx wrote: »
    That write up from that new candidate seems a bit odd/ slightly aggressive. And that most wanted like mugshot won't help his cause either.

I don't think it's coincidental, that's how the chap is from what I've seen. One of these rage against the system anarchists...while he likely collects his €188 a week from the state and system he so despises...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

road_high wrote: »
    I don't think it's coincidental, that's how the chap is from what I've seen. One of these rage against the system anarchists...while he likely collects his €188 a week from the state and system he so despises...

http://www.carlow-nationalist.ie/2015/05/15/carlow-man-says-gardai-assaulted-him-as-he-tried-to-tackle-taoiseach/

He was Director of lections for A Wallace...yet she is running also this time- has there been a split in the camp there? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Quoted verbatim from his own personal profile (not his candidate page) > "No, I'm running as a candidate in Carlow-Kilkenny with Adrienne Wallace Carlow/Kilkenny and Kathleen Funchion and encouraging people to get out and vote."

With? It's against. That's how elections work......splits the left vote even further (NB Conor MacLiam not part of R2C movement despite AAA-PPP being together.....very odd that).

Anyone know Gilligans profession? I always like to know what my candidates do for a living (if indeed anything) so I can an informed as possible a decision about them? Look forward to being pleasantly surprised to hear he is in full time employment, contributing to the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭oscillating wildely

I wonder why FG/AAA/PBP don't propose a levy on income from €87,000 upwards, maybe this is why or am I being too cynical

http://www.oireachtas.ie/parliament/tdssenators/salariesallowances/salaries/

Anyone know Gilligans profession? I always like to know what my candidates do for a living (if indeed anything) so I can an informed as possible a decision about them? Look forward to being pleasantly surprised to hear he is in full time employment, contributing to the state.

Could joke and say he is a professional protester but I wouldn't be far off. Think he was a student up till last year.

I saw him in action in tesco last year when he was arrested. A peaceful protest involves getting in someone's face, hurling abuse and shouting "peaceful protest" when told to shut up.

At least he ll be helping dilute the far left vote IMO.

• Advertisement

Could joke and say he is a professional protester but I wouldn't be far off. Think he was a student up till last year.

I saw him in action in tesco last year when he was arrested. A peaceful protest involves getting in someone's face, hurling abuse and shouting "peaceful protest" when told to shut up.

At least he ll be helping dilute the far left vote IMO.

Bit old to be a student isn't he? No doubt on back to education or some other handy scheme. He'd be an asset to any company or organisation. It's exactly the kind of manner and attidude all employers crave these days!

Bit old to be a student isn't he? No doubt on back to education or some other handy scheme. He'd be an asset to any company or organisation. It's exactly the kind of manner and attidude all employers crave these days!

Hey !!!!! I'm a student and I'm 40.

Hey !!!!! I'm a student and I'm 40.

Ok sorry, just in the mindset of student 18-22 years old like I was lol. But you're right, all sorts and ages now.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JaCrispy

If Pol Pot, Idi Amin, Stalin, Hitler, Mao (.....ok you get the picture) were running in this constituency along with Gilligan, he still wouldn't get my vote.

What is this "Right to change" non-sense

Campaigning for the reintroduction of 1 and 2 cent coins....

brianblaze wrote: »
    Campaigning for the reintroduction of 1 and 2 cent coins....

Paid for by all those legions of 100 k plus earners!

Newstalk/Ivan Yates prediction for the constituency: 2x FF, 2x FG, 1x sf

https://www.newstalk.com/reader/47.1252/65552//

Owryan wrote:
    Newstalk/Ivan Yates prediction for the constituency: 2x FF, 2x FG, 1x sf

I have a feeling that's the way it will be. The only candidat I seen was pat Deering. Haven't seen anyone else.

Smartvote.ie told me to vote PBP and Green. I'm. A lefty it seems. (And I registered for and paid me water taxes!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭Carlow2011

Paddy Power latest betting, thought JMOC would be shorter odds with popularity in Carlow Town and being transfer friendly https://sports.paddypower.mobi/#sport/33/competition/26921/event/9869825

Advertisement