Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Election 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭radharc

So they marginally favour Carlow getting one seat with a decent chance of none.

What happened the days when we regularly secured two :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭fits

radharc wrote: »

What happened the days when we regularly secured two :confused:

Why does it matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭Carlow2011

It's unbelievable that only 1 Carlow TD scrapped in on the 13th countin 2011 because Fianna Fáil weren't transfer friendly in 2011. If Carlow people don't get out and vote for their own there'll be no Carlow TD in the next Dail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

A couple of thousand Carlow votes will be going to Kilkenny anyway for sf. They might give either of the 2 main Carlow candidates a lower pref tho.

Even more worrying I ve seen John McGuiness flyers around Carlow/Bagenalstown so he seems to be looking for Jennifer's potential vote.

As for Pat Deering, I ve heard nothing at all about him, not even a flyer.

Mind you haven't seen any canvassers at all

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

fits wrote: »
    Why does it matter?

Exactly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Carlow really needs to start mustering up a few electable TD's, hence the few votes in Kilkenny. The likes of McGuiness, JP Phelan and Ann Phelan are able politicians by any measure and even have national profiles with some influence. JP Phelan is a Ministerial possibility, only for Enda Kenny. Ann Phelan already has a Junior Ministerial role.
    Pat Deering is the best of a very poor field of Carlow candidates, Murnane O'Connor FF seems a nice lady and a good local councillor I'd gladly swap her for Bobby Alyward seat but I think the Alywards always had a big vote base.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

Murnane O'Connor was one of the main people who pushed for the Fairgreen so I don't know how anyone can vote for short sighted thinking like that

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

brianblaze wrote: »
    Murnane O'Connor was one of the main people who pushed for the Fairgreen so I don't know how anyone can vote for short sighted thinking like that

I think the Fairgreen is a good development for Carlow but it should have been more focused towards the town centre with better access and walkways?

road_high wrote: »
    I think the Fairgreen is a good development for Carlow but it should have been more focused towards the town centre with better access and walkways?

I disagree. A stupid place for a sopping centre with very few locally owned businesses there. An absolute shocker it got permission to be that close to town centre

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭jay gatsby

brianblaze wrote: »
    I disagree. A stupid place for a sopping centre with very few locally owned businesses there. An absolute shocker it got permission to be that close to town centre

What's your thinking on this Brian? I thought the accepted logic was that having shopping centres away out at the edge of town dragged people away from town centres. Surely if you want an anchor tenant like Tesco's in Carlow its better to have them relatively near the town centre so that at least people are being drawn into the town?

I have to say i'm not a fan of fairgreen but that is due to the type of shops in there and cold feel to the central coffee shop area.

I actually think its location is not bad and if a throughway could have been developed maybe down through carlow shopping centre to connect up Tullow St etc. it might have worked out quite well. As in, I park in Fairgreen and can do my main shop there but can also stroll down the town inside 5 minutes and pick up a few bits before heading back to the car.

I have no planning experience whatsoever so this may be all pie in the sky.

• Advertisement

I hate the fairgreen. Any time I am there (rare) I just park up, get the necessaries and go again. theres no inclination to browse and no flow to the design that would draw you to the old town centre. Its a planning disaster in my opinion. Tullow and Dublin Sts have been totally killed off. I go to Kilkenny in preference to Carlow these days. And of course then I dont support lovely places like Brian's coffee shop and my old friends on Dublin St.

It makes me mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Jed and Dave

if they built a back entrance to the fairgreen onto the junction of tullow street it would link the fairgreen with tullow street and the centre of town-would be a start. went in to see the plans for the penneys redevelopment have to say i was impressed with the design and layout. back on topic....

is all politics local? would the kilkenny based tds do a good job representing carlow.. i dont see too much advertising for them in carlow likewise was down in ferrybank at the weekend and didnt see any posters for deering and murnane o connor/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Why does it matter?

It matters.

Why are there so many sports centres, health centres etc. built in Minister's back yards? It's because all politics is local. They will try and look after people from their own area first.

If a Kilkenny TD had the opportunity to get jobs for an area, why would they get them for Carlow? Naturally they would want to get them for their own locality if they had the chance.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    It matters.

Why are there so many sports centres, health centres etc. built in Minister's back yards? It's because all politics is local. They will try and look after people from their own area first.

If a Kilkenny TD had the opportunity to get jobs for an area, why would they get them for Carlow? Naturally they would want to get them for their own locality if they had the chance.

Well it shouldn't matter. The parliament is supposed to operate on a national level, not local. That's the job of the councils.

Also, our Carlow TDs in recent years have hardly done a good job have they? The county, especially the town, is an absolute shambles and a joke. At least Kilkenny is a well run county.

Well it shouldn't matter. The parliament is supposed to operate on a national level, not local. That's the job of the councils.

Also, our Carlow TDs in recent years have hardly done a good job have they? The county, especially the town, is an absolute shambles and a joke. At least Kilkenny is a well run county.

I agree, it shouldn't matter, but unfortunately that's the way we are.

It's absolutely ridiculous that people go to their local TD to get help with their medical card/council house/planning permission etc. If you are entitled to a medical card/council house/planning permission, you should get it, not because your local TD had a bit of "pull".

Kilkenny is a well run county, I wonder would that be because they have four out of the five TD's?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I agree, it shouldn't matter, but unfortunately that's the way we are.

It's absolutely ridiculous that people go to their local TD to get help with their medical card/council house/planning permission etc. If you are entitled to a medical card/council house/planning permission, you should get it, not because your local TD had a bit of "pull".

Kilkenny is a well run county, I wonder would that be because they have four out of the five TD's?
    It's how the Healy Raes keep getting re-elected. One of them actually emailed me back several times about a drug we were trying to have funded for people with MS when a local guy wouldn't even take my call.

Kilkenny would have a bigger budget, I would imagine , the tourist revenue alone must be huge.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

So who has canvassed you? (Shoving leaflets through the door and legging it doesn't count!)

Pat Deering went next door and when I had baffled the guy at my door so then came to ours.
    Kathleen Funchion's reps called and spoke to, but no sign of herself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

So who has canvassed you? (Shoving leaflets through the door and legging it doesn't count!)

Just pat Deering and jennifer murnane 's brother called haven't seen anyone else

No one has called at all. Very few leaflets too. I'm living in the town as well.

I did get a vote John McGuiness flyer tho. Someone keeps leaving that right-to-change rag too. Least I can use that in the cats tray.

Have to say doesn't appear to be much stir in Carlow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Our PBP-AAA Candidate Ms.Adrienne Wallace will be on tonights RTE 2 Facebook Election Debate.

Other candidates include Leo Varadkar, Aodhán Ó Ríordáin, Timmy Dooley, Mary Lou McDonald (funny how when people have a cut off Cllr. Patrick McKee for jumping ship from FF to Renua (via a brief dalliance with SF), they don't have a pop at Mary Lou for going FF > SF.), Averil Power & Eamon Ryan.

As an aside does Conor MacLiam use AAA-PBP to assert which of the two parties he belongs to?

The R2C/Right 2 Change movement isn't one he's signed up to which I find odd given he's part of the AAA/PBP amalgamation.

At yesterdays R2W/R2C etc Protest March which was attended by 10k/20k/60k/70k/80k/1 Billion (depending on what source you choose to believe) only one of the R2C Candidates (Ms.Wallace, Mr.Gilligan, Ms/Mrs. Funchion and I think maybe Mr.Walsh too?) participated & there's a definite split in the camp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

I've had Pat Deering and Jennifer Murnane with Anne Ahern, had SF, LAB, PBP leaflet and a Renua guy come to the door too. Theres very little activity from KK candidates in Carlow town as far as I can see, I wonder is there an agreement that kilkenny candidates won't come to Carlow and vice versa among the FF/FG guys? Would make sense I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Owryan wrote: »
    No one has called at all. Very few leaflets too. I'm living in the town as well.

I did get a vote John McGuiness flyer tho. Someone keeps leaving that right-to-change rag too. Least I can use that in the cats tray.

Have to say doesn't appear to be much stir in Carlow

Like you I have had nobody to the door. I live a bit outside Carlow town in between Tullow and Carlow. There are a number of estates so surprised nobody called or even any leaflet drops. Only leaflet I got was for a candidate from Wicklow/East Carlow who is not even in my constituency. It was delivered by the postman.It was a 4 page A4 glossy production. Enough to turn me off voting for him.......if i actually had a choice!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I was in Carlow over the weekend and was struck by how orange Jennifer Murnane O'Connor looked in her posters. It's very distracting (and not in a good way).

Mr E wrote: »
    I was in Carlow over the weekend and was struck by how orange Jennifer Murnane O'Connor looked in her posters. It's very distracting (and not in a good way).

Orange or not, she does a good bit of work for her local community.

But back to the canvassing question, do people actually vote for politicians based on whether they call to their door or not? I certainly don't vote that way. I'll vote for whoever I think will do the best for my locality. That's what I care about.

Orange or not, she does a good bit of work for her local community.

But back to the canvassing question, do people actually vote for politicians based on whether they call to their door or not? I certainly don't vote that way. I'll vote for whoever I think will do the best for my locality. That's what I care about.

No. But I spend a lot of time in Kilkenny and there seems, to me at least, to be a massive difference in the level of canvassing in the 2 areas.

I know who I won't be voting for but it would be nice to be able to ask a few questions related to what I am concerned about

Owryan wrote: »
    No. But I spend a lot of time in Kilkenny and there seems, to me at least, to be a massive difference in the level of canvassing in the 2 areas.

I know who I won't be voting for but it would be nice to be able to ask a few questions related to what I am concerned about

They'll tell you whatever sh1te they think that you want to hear. And besides, their word means jack sh1t eitherways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

KCLR FM Constituency Debate tonight from 8-10pm anchored by Matt O'Keeffe (Presenter of the Farm Show/Editor of Irish Farmers Monthly and a Farmer himself) & ably assisted by Eimear Ni Bhraonain (Producer & sometime Presenter also of KCLR Live from 10am-12 Noon Monday to Friday) who'll be time-keeping/refereeing all 15 Candidates (for their sakes I hope they've all had a shower beforehand & thrown on some deodorant/aftershave/perfume respectively!).

Feel free to text in your questions to 0833069696 or Tweet them @KCLR96FM etc.

Listen live here > http://kclr96fm.com/livestream/

Tuned in now!

Embarrassing listening to them. Some of them are talking out of their arse.

As for the guy presenting it........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Where do people in Bagenalstown vote? Was wondering if it was Fr Mc Grath Hall?

Advertisement