Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Election 2016

Options
124»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Niemoj

I'm surprised Jennifer Murnane-O'Connor didn't get a seat.

She may start getting a move on bringing Graiguecullen into the Carlow/Kilkenny consistency so she can have a chance in 2021 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

Anyone else see a bible on the check in table at their polling station ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

I don't remember exactly why but they have to have a bible at every polling station, it's in the constitution.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JaCrispy

sunny2004 wrote: »
    Anyone else see a bible on the check in table at their polling station ?

If the polling station is in a school, the chances are (even though the schools are de jure and de facto multi-denominational) that the Catholic/Protestants Church still have ownership over the grounds and building.

I don't remember exactly why but they have to have a bible at every polling station, it's in the constitution.

Is this true ?

• Advertisement

Is this true ?

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/airish-news/why-are-there-bibles-in-polling-stations-1.2222157

Sorry its not in the constitution but its in the pack ROs get.

Link wont work, but you learn something every day..

Link wont work, but you learn something every day..

http://www.thejournal.ie/bibles-at-polling-stations-2118222-May2015/

Bit more detail in this link

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭contrary_devil

Niemoj wrote: »

She may start getting a move on bringing Graiguecullen into the Carlow/Kilkenny consistency so she can have a chance in 2021 :pac:

Somehow I don't think we'll have to wait until 2021 for the next General Election.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon. Does she live in Graig? That would have been to her disadvantage. Also heard she didn't budge beyond Carlow, whereas as all the FF KK based candidates were active and got 1000s of votes in Carlow. Likewise Pat Deering had a big preference in KK which ensured he was elected.

• Advertisement

Would you like to elaborate on that statement?

We've a poor choice of candidate here in Carlow and Deering is by far the lesser of two evils. Jennifer is a "fix the roads" candidate and i'd think its better for FF in the long run to have Fintan Phelan coming up next GE who'll have a great chance of taking Deering out. I'd rather have an FG representative in any case and i'm no FG supporter. Anyone who thinks Jennifer is a good Councillor let alone good TD is delusional at best.

She comes across as "one of the people" and I'd say is parish pump and that's why she is so popular. That's why FF are so successful, they are the DNA of the ordinary Irish man and woman!

road_high wrote: »
    I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon. Does she live in Graig? That would have been to her disadvantage. Also heard she didn't budge beyond Carlow, whereas as all the FF KK based candidates were active and got 1000s of votes in Carlow. Likewise Pat Deering had a big preference in KK which ensured he was elected.

The results will be published no later than 31/3 regardless of Jennifer but I'm just saying if she was thinking ahead she would have campaigned about it as a huge portion of her supporters are in Graiguecullen which unfortunately is in the Laois-Offaly constituency.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

The results will be published no later than 31/3 regardless of Jennifer but I'm just saying if she was thinking ahead she would have campaigned about it as a huge portion of her supporters are in Graiguecullen which unfortunately is in the Laois-Offaly constituency.

114 Submissions.

99 were a copy & past/mailshot job from different organisations so effectively one argument/submission.

So 16 separate submissions in total.

Not privy to the detail of them but have heard from someone down the council they're 50:50.

For her sake I hope Ms.Murnane O'Connor has made a submission (presuming she's not breaking any ethical code as a Cllr. in doing so?) ahead of giving it another go in 2021*; we may well have Killeshin too included in Boundary Review?

Unsure how far out beyond Graiguecullen/Killeshin the boundary is proposed to be expanded to/incorporate into the county & constituency.

Her cousin, another Cllr. however was on the wireless couple days before the closing date & he didn't want Graiguecullen included for family reasons; justification was odd.
    Something about them being from Laois I think he said? Sure they'd still be from Graiguecullen like, even if it's in a different county from end of March.

Boundary review is going to change nothing. It's not even binding so unless Laois agree it's not going to happen.
    She really needs to work in the parameters of the constituency rather than wishing she could get Laois votes. She did nothing in Kilkenny, actually the opposite- if anyone in Kk had been considering voting for her they may have thought twice after reading her rant during the election complaining about Kk getting more roads finding than Carlow...I was astounded she could be so stupid as the constituency IS Carlow Kilkenny...all the other candidates pitched and got votes in both (Deering got in as he got a very high preference in Kk, she didn't)

Do FF still control this paper;
    http://www.carlow-nationalist.ie/2016/03/04/the-people-of-carlow-wanted-me-as-their-td/
    ....even she seems to struggle with understanding the PR system, despite having run twice. Let's ignore all the no. 1s Pat Deering got plus all the preferences he got and dismiss those and declare I was wanted as the TD based only on No.1's.
    There already was two formidable FF td's on the ticket, there's not an endless well of diehard FF voters with collective amnesia out there thankfully, but close!
    Sounds to me like playing the victim card in advance of any future elections.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Maybe she needs to look at how many people in Carlow voted for the 2 Kilkenny ff candidates. Maybe 12-1500 votes she could have got went to them.

Better canvassing might have given Carlow 2 TDs but it's in the past now. There were people complaining about funchion getting so many votes from Carlow but they were votes for sf since she was the lone runner. Why Carlow people voted alyward or McGuiness beats me.

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    Unsure how far out beyond Graiguecullen/Killeshin the boundary is proposed to be expanded to/incorporate into the county & constituency.
    To be honest I'm not sure of that myself. Well it's currently just after Graigue Bridge I think so you'd assume they'd be taking the new border past Dunnes which btw is already Dunnes Carlow and not Dunnes Laois!

It remains to be seen anyway, hopefully it'll be Carlow officially soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭Carlow2011

7 days gone and still posters up all over the place, sick of looking at the eyesores. Well done to the candidates who did remove their posters on time even though it would be better if they were all banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Murmane O'Connor didn't fail because she failed to attract votes in Kilkenny or because Deering did attract them. She failed because she didn't get transfers from Fianna Fail voters, and that was because there weren't any to distribute. John McGuinness only had a surplus of 234 votes....and thay was it from Fianna Fail. Deering had available tranfers from FG colleagues amounting to more than 9,000 votes (plus another 5596 from Labour). What's more, as the only FG candidate remaining in the final count, he got almost all of John Paul Phelan's 2,531 surplus. FF didn't have the support to elect 3 FF TD's (thankfully). Deering got FG support, not Kilkenny support. It has nothing to do with anything else and it's what a GENERAL election is supposed to be about.

Also the 800 votes that Aylward and McGuinness received from Carlow wouldn't have been enough to save Murnane O'Connor anyway even if they had gone to her. Deering finished 1,631 ahead and Kilkenny based FG candidates recieved votes from Carlow too. People are entitled to not have to vote for a candidate they don't like just because they are from down the road. That's the kind of ****e that enabled FF to destroy this country over a 14 year period.

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Murmane O'Connor didn't fail because she failed to attract votes in Kilkenny or because Deering did attract them. She failed because she didn't get transfers from Fianna Fail voters, and that was because there weren't any to distribute. John McGuinness only had a surplus of 234 votes....and thay was it from Fianna Fail. Deering had available tranfers from FG colleagues amounting to more than 9,000 votes (plus another 5596 from Labour). What's more, as the only FG candidate remaining in the final count, he got almost all of John Paul Phelan's 2,531 surplus. FF didn't have the support to elect 3 FF TD's (thankfully). Deering got FG support, not Kilkenny support. It has nothing to do with anything else and it's what a GENERAL election is supposed to be about.

Also the 800 votes that Aylward and McGuinness received from Carlow wouldn't have been enough to save Murnane O'Connor anyway even if they had gone to her. Deering finished 1,631 ahead and Kilkenny based FG candidates recieved votes from Carlow too. People are entitled to not have to vote for a candidate they don't like just because they are from down the road. That's the kind of ****e that enabled FF to destroy this country over a 14 year period.

As long as Ann Phelan and David Fitzgerald were not elected there was a fair chance Deering would pass Murnane out. He was in poll position to take all the transfers from those two and as it turned out, that's exactly what happened. How Murnane and her supporters couldn't see that is beyond me, they were celebrating like she had already won.
    Couldn't agree more re FF. Destroyed the economy but yet 2/5 dingbats in Carlow/KK voted for more of the same. It's mind boggling how they get any votes let alone nearly 3 seats here. It really is a mark of the intelligence of the average Irish person.

• Advertisement

I can see how John McGuiness gets the votes, he has involvement in just about everything that is going in Kilkenny, he somehow seems able to distance himself from ff, sure you need to concentrate to see his party affiliation on his posters.

As for Alyward, how anyone could vote for him astounds me, he looks and sounds as if he is terrified of being asked anything off script.

You have to despair when a party that ruins a country gets so many votes in such a short time, meanwhile the parties who have been doing ok get hammered

Owryan wrote: »
    I can see how John McGuiness gets the votes, he has involvement in just about everything that is going in Kilkenny, he somehow seems able to distance himself from ff, sure you need to concentrate to see his party affiliation on his posters.

As for Alyward, how anyone could vote for him astounds me, he looks and sounds as if he is terrified of being asked anything off script.

You have to despair when a party that ruins a country gets so many votes in such a short time, meanwhile the parties who have been doing ok get hammered

The Labour Party did not deserve the kicking they got. There was a frenzy whipped up by SF and fanned by the media about all their broken promises, whereas it turned out 60% of their manifesto was implemented, all while they helped restore the countries economic soveirgnty. Then those that caused the disaster in the first place were rewarded. I see no logic in that at all.

I seen on the One O'Clock news today on RTE that John McGuinness is being mentioned as in the running for ceann comhairle, which would effectively make Carlow/Kilkenny a 4 seater constituency at the next election

So good luck to those who think it's possible to get both Deering and Murnane O'Connor elected next time if that happens.

I seen on the One O'Clock news today on RTE that John McGuinness is being mentioned as in the running for ceann comhairle, which would effectively make Carlow/Kilkenny a 4 seater constituency at the next election

So good luck to those who think it's possible to get both Deering and Murnane O'Connor elected next time if that happens.

Oh Christ no...that would surely make it easier for her though as McGuinness would be automatically re elected, she'd get more if his votes, potentially. He does my head in with his two faced act to the public and its high time he was some kind of Minister rather than living his whole life on the fence...

road_high wrote: »
    Oh Christ no...that would surely make it easier for her though as McGuinness would be automatically re elected, she'd get more if his votes, potentially. He does my head in with his two faced act to the public and its high time he was some kind of Minister rather than living his whole life on the fence...

But you're assuming FF wouldn't run another Kilkenny based candidate along with Aylward to hoover up his votes. Surely they would. They'd be stupid not to

Can't see him wanting that job, it wouldn't be high profile enough for him and would mean he would have to step back from publicity

Now if M Martin was proposing him as a way of sidelining him, that's a diff story

But you're assuming FF wouldn't run another Kilkenny based candidate along with Aylward to hoover up his votes. Surely they would. They'd be stupid not to

I wish they'd just disappear...sadly not going to happen!

Owryan wrote: »
    Can't see him wanting that job, it wouldn't be high profile enough for him and would mean he would have to step back from publicity

Now if M Martin was proposing him as a way of sidelining him, that's a diff story

I wouldn't vote for him but he has a lot more to give politically and really he is unproven in the big league so I'd like to see him get a Minister and feel the heat, he has all the answers so let's see him in action!
    CC is more for politicians approaching retirement I think...

Advertisement