Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

• 02-02-2016 7:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭

Hi Guys

Well after all that, I today purchased from Philip www.The EV Company.com a 2013 Nissan Leaf UK import but in really nice condition Its now charging in my Driveway and I am happy out Philip was great to deal with and will source a car and import for you if you want I went this way as It saved me the hassle and he is well used to doing it

Delighted with the car

mylesm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 J.Dev

Welcome! I also picked up a 2014 Leaf from Philip late last year, delighted with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭steelboots

If you don't mind me asking what kind of money 13 & 14 Leafs are making and what spec did you go for.

Well ware and enjoy the many cheap miles your going to cover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

Well done Myles and welcome to the fold.
    I was looking at that car on DoneDeal, it looks fresh.
    Did you trade the Yaris in against it?
    I still have the 2011 Leaf (its Fergus here BTW) and was considering trading it in against a 132 or 141 Leaf for the extra range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭mylesm

macnab wrote: »
    Well done Myles and welcome to the fold.
    I was looking at that car on DoneDeal, it looks fresh.
    Did you trade the Yaris in against it?
    I still have the 2011 Leaf (its Fergus here BTW) and was considering trading it in against a 132 or 141 Leaf for the extra range.

Hi Fergus I thought that was you no I am going to sell Yaris private

Yes its very fresh just getting used to it today is really first day to drive it about really nice to drive

talk soon
    myles

steelboots wrote: »
    If you don't mind me asking what kind of money 13 & 14 Leafs are making and what spec did you go for.

Well ware and enjoy the many cheap miles your going to cover.

Well imports are cheaper than what Irish cars are so I can only go by that

My car was on for 14650Euro

• Advertisement

Well My first day went well drove across dublin and back must say on M50 battery went down fast

What do people advise re battery charging do you plug in any chance you get or just at night mainly do you charge to 100% or 80%

thanks
    mylesm

I usually charge to 80% at home, drive to work and charge to 100% in there. By the time I get home I have about 40% to 60% battery remaining.
    For maximum battery life the gurus say not to use rapid chargers more than once a day, I only use them in emergencies. Dont leave your car at full charge and unused for long periods. Charging between 20% and 80% is very kind to your battery.
    After a while you will get to grips with what type of driving suits the Leaf. If you cruise at or above 120kmh the battery guessometer drops fast. 80kmh cruising is very easy on battery percentage. Accelerating fast (more than 3 dots) uses a lot of juice.
    In general I take the percentage with a pinch of salt, the remaining bars are easier to use as a distance forecast.
    In my car 1 bar equals 10km at easy driving, your car with the newer battery might get 15km per bar remaining.

Well wear, there is no going back to ICE again as your main car !

The % indicator is good to know exactly what's left. The GOM will be accurate enough provided you don't suddenly put the boot down.

I drive pretty hard over my 135-140 Km commute but I have work charging but a 10 min fast charge got me home from Naas with about 18-20% battery left before I got the work charge point.

This was driving between 100-110 Kph.

Charge at every opportunity, the standard street charge points will make a difference particularly with the 6.6 kw charger but even without the 6.6 Kw charger the standard street charge points will mean less time needed at fast chargers. Don't run the battery low often if you don't need to.

Does your car have the 6.6 kw charger ?

Well wear, there is no going back to ICE again as your main car !

The % indicator is good to know exactly what's left. The GOM will be accurate enough provided you don't suddenly put the boot down.

I drive pretty hard over my 135-140 Km commute but I have work charging but a 10 min fast charge got me home from Naas with about 18-20% battery left before I got the work charge point.

This was driving between 100-110 Kph.

Charge at every opportunity, the standard street charge points will make a difference particularly with the 6.6 kw charger but even without the 6.6 Kw charger the standard street charge points will mean less time needed at fast chargers. Don't run the battery low often if you don't need to.

Does your car have the 6.6 kw charger ?

Thanks No my Car has 3.3 but I reckon in my case hopefully most charging will be done at home

mylesm wrote: »
    Thanks No my Car has 3.3 but I reckon in my case hopefully most charging will be done at home

Even so, plug in at every opportunity , keep your battery topped up and it will reduce the time needed at fast chargers.

• Advertisement

Even so, plug in at every opportunity , keep your battery topped up and it will reduce the time needed at fast chargers.

Well I am still getting used to it but I drove from Blanchardstown to Naas and back today and a bit of running around charged at Rapid charger in Blanchardstown this afternoon so when I drove it about 90km/hr on m50 and n7 it was fine and energy consumption was ok better than i Thought it would be I think it just takes time to adjust your driving style to maximise EV Lovely car though

mylesm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Charging between 20% and 80% is very kind to your battery.

There is no real evidence to support that claim. the 20% quoted by the leaf, is not actually raw 20% battery anyway as the leaf prevents discharge to real 0%

Equally Nissan have very conservative charging regimes, because they do not thermally stabilise the battery, So the finish charge rates are very restricted and easy on the battery. IN that charging to 100% ( by any Nissan method) has no effect on the battery life to any extent. The terminal charge rates for the fast chargers for example are quite low as programmed by Nissan.

The main reason to stop a FCP at 80% is the remaining time takes forever , thanks to that conservative charging regime

mylesm wrote: »
    Well My first day went well drove across dublin and back must say on M50 battery went down fast

What do people advise re battery charging do you plug in any chance you get or just at night mainly do you charge to 100% or 80%

thanks
    mylesm

based on my own work on Lithiums and extensive study of the scientific papers , Id be on the view that it makes little difference whether you charge repeatedly or do full zero to hero charges.

Nissan regimes is very conservative so the battery is fully protected from you over doing it.

The only proviso is leaving a lithium fully charged for long periods ( i.e. several weeks ) , They are better stored at around 60%.

Nissan's regime, is not very conservative at all.

Anyway people can do their own research into this I'm not getting involved with these I'm right and you're wrong debates again, it's tiring.

If people want to use all the battery 100%-0% or to --- all the time then it's up to the owner. If they want to keep the leaf and maximise longevity then please do your own research.

Anyway people can do their own research into this I'm not getting involved with these I'm right and you're wrong debates again, it's tiring.

If people want to use all the battery 100%-0% or to --- all the time then it's up to the owner. If they want to keep the leaf and maximise longevity then please do your own research.

I suppose its what you compare it to , compared to say " Tesla" its conservative

I would entirely agree, charge as you see fit , use the car as you see fit.
    what is tiring is people harping on about " do this " or " do that " or fixated by battery health. Factors affecting Lithium health actually take years of testing to resolve , its like fat versus sugar.

Jus use the damm car as you need it . Thats what I intend to do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

I'm afraid I'm in agreement with BoatMad on this one. Even the SoC etc. numbers you are reading from Leaf spy are not exactly accurate, they are just what the BMS is reporting over the CAN bus.
    I think the only reason the charge to 80% option even exists is to make people feel like they are doing something.
    The main factors in your battery's longevity will be calendar age, high discharge events and any excessive thermal events.
    All charging to 80% does is turn your 160km range EV into a 120km EV

I'm certainly not going by any leaf spy data, Nissan did not leave a lot top and bottom.

Everything makes a difference you just don't notice it until range starts to become a problem and people have control over their charging, and they don't have control over calender life. It's delaying this noticeable range reduction which is important and will only become important when it is noticed . The battery is a lot better in the current gen.

But I do agree if people do need all the range then use it but there's no point in the stress of always watching the range indicator if a 5-10 min fast charge or just plugging in to a standard charge point for a while reduces or eliminates this anxiety.

Everything makes a difference you just don't notice it until range starts to become a problem and people have control over their charging, and they don't have control over calender life. It's delaying this noticeable range reduction which is important and will only become important when it is noticed . The battery is a lot better in the current gen.

Sure , it's just you or I don't really know which of the " everything " is important and which isn't . You have people all over the Internet talking about lithium " this" or " lithium " thAt , when in reality outside a major multi year substantive trial with statistically relevant numbers , it's just rumour and ill informed nonsense.

The reality is charge and use the car as you see fit. There nothing the user can really influence over the longer period.

Sure , it's just you or I don't really know which of the " everything " is important and which isn't . You have people all over the Internet talking about lithium " this" or " lithium " thAt , when in reality outside a major multi year substantive trial with statistically relevant numbers , it's just rumour and ill informed nonsense.

The reality is charge and use the car as you see fit. There nothing the user can really influence over the longer period.

• Advertisement

BoatMad wrote: »

I don't think that's true, the 1st Gen didn't like excessive fast charging and even Nissan advised against that, and still do in the current Gen manual.

It just so happens the current gen battery is more robust and the changes made remain unknown, so it could be a higher charge C rate, more resistance to heat and a higher cycle life and possibly a longer calendar life, or a combination of all, small changes can have a big impact to battery life.

I don't think that's true, the 1st Gen didn't like excessive fast charging and even Nissan advised against that, and still do in the current Gen manual.

It just so happens the current gen battery is more robust and the changes made remain unknown, so it could be a higher charge C rate, more resistance to heat and a higher cycle life and possibly a longer calendar life, or a combination of all, small changes can have a big impact to battery life.

High charge rates and high discharge rates result in high battery temperature. The 1st Gen Leaf does not have the stabiliser that was added to the Gen 2's battery chemistry to resist degredation due to excessive temperatures. That's why I avoid fast charging my Gen 1 Leaf.
    At 85,000km my Leaf recently dropped from 11 to 10 bars, the range has not reduced as a consequence. The last Nissan health check at 11 bars indicated 83% battery remaining.

Has anyone here got a leaf with high mileage,. like 120,000Km plus, whats the battery health like ? ( and not Gen 1)

Advertisement