Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sold Car , Problems with buyer today

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Yeah, like they really need to stop now. Private sale, caveat emptor. No comeback whatsoever. They tried, you're not playing, so they need to stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

pudzey101 wrote: »
    Thanks again lads for all the advice , id rather stay away from guards etc like "jesus" said its not worth it worth having a pissed off Cop on your ass for as long as he's in my local Barracks :) someone suggested getting a tesco phone and sim for 12 quid and leaving it in the car along with the logbook after sale i like this idea made my day lol :)

do you all think it would be stupid or smart to report the buyer to the guards if they make contact with me again for harassment as i actually have a missed call on my phone from the number i recognize from yesterday :) ?

Just tell them there's nothing more to discuss and if they contact you again they will be getting a letter from your solicitor.

i.e. Tell them to **** off and stop annoyin ya.

Like someone said earlier if it was a genuine Garda he was most likely calling about the tax disc but since the car was sold back in December anything could've happened since then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

bilbot79 wrote: »
    I knew I was probably getting a dud and the fact it was cheap gave me enough space to fix any problems. I knew that.

The point was that even when people know the car they are selling is bad they can still say it's fine. The OP may well have known his car was a dud but doesn't care. If that was the case, I find it immoral even if it's not illegal. I don't know if it was though

It is buyer beware and I don't disagree with that but some sellers are chancers and it's effectively stealing selling on a car with known issues that are costly to repair without disclosing. So I would agree it's immoral.
    Disposable SIM sell in car park not registered owner are all hallmarks of these chancers.

Unless the advert stated something it's not or they put something in writing. It is very difficult to have any sort of comeback.
    Unfortunately the conversations about never misses a beat or let me down, everything is working as it should is just hot air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Jaysus lots of jumping to conclusions here.

Did the Garda actually ring up and demand you refund her or just ring up for a chat? If some psycho bitch lands in the Garda station ranting and raving about being sold a crappy car, illegal tax discs, etc etc, demanding to press charges, then the Garda is going to try and smooth out the situation, including by ringing the seller to find out what the story is.

There is no issue with Gardai "interfering" in civil matters as a mediator provided that they don't try to intimidate either party or give incorrect legal information about what either party must or should do.

Gardai get involved in civil matters all the time because two people with an ongoing feud cause more headaches than two people who've come to an agreement without having to go to court.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Rob C

That's a good idea, you can do down to the Gardai and tell them you think you're a victim of a suspected scam. That way you can tell them about this 'Garda' who called you and that will go down in the notes without you appearing to be making a complaint. if the call was legit and was indeed from an actual Garda in the station, then don't go postal and rant and rave about your rights, there was probably a logical explanation as described by a poster above, the Garda was just trying to mediate and calm things down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭goochy

why do I seem to be only 1 who would have problem selling / buying a car in public place / side of road. if I am buying a car I want to see where person lives and that it matches log book. the seller or the buyer should not be by themselves either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭cletus

I've bought from guys in well lit public areas. If I were selling a car in the morning, I wouldn't want a heap of different unknown people coming to the house where I live with my wife and children. No idea what sorry of nut jobs you could get.

Once the car checks out on cartel (or similar), the logbook matches the vehicle, and the seller doesn't mind my mechanic checking it over, or me taking it for a test drive, then I've no problem meeting in a neutral venue. Obviously take all precautions necessary, well lit, not at night if possible, not on your own etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

This is always the thing.

Trading "experts" will always tell buyers to meet the seller at their house to verify that the guy's not scamming them. I've even heard them advise that you ask to use the toilet so you can be sure it's their house!

Out of the other side of their mouths they'll tell sellers to meet buyers in a well-lit shopping centre car park so that people aren't calling to their door and casing the gaff.

You can't win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

goochy wrote: »
    why do I seem to be only 1 who would have problem selling / buying a car in public place / side of road. if I am buying a car I want to see where person lives and that it matches log book. the seller or the buyer should not be by themselves either.

I'd be the very same goochy, but then you hear stories like this and have second thoughts. Imagine this person knew where you lived after they weren't happy with the car. Would you want them knocking on your door?

What would really set me off though is the total lack of caution on her part to have the car looked over if she wanted such a perfect car. Not relevant to the thread but I was selling a car a couple of days ago to a couple. The husband was fairly quick about looking at the car, didn't even take it for a spin. We had done the deal fairly quickly and the wife started to fill out the logbook but she started picking at things such as a scuff on the bumper, and then she asked "i hope the clutch is good". I was pretty pissed off now so I handed them back the money and told them no thanks.

She was fairly annoyed about it but he husband was apologetic (to me)

But I don't need hassle like her in my life. I could just tell she'd ring up and complain if it ran out of fuel.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

You had the money and threw it back at them out of spite? You're too thin skinned for this game.

You had the money and threw it back at them out of spite? You're too thin skinned for this game.

It wasn't out of spite it was out of pure not wanting to deal with these people in a few days/weeks/months time for the sake of a sub 1500 quid car.

I'm not stuck for money and had plenty of people lined up. Sold that evening actually

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

I'd be the very same goochy, but then you hear stories like this and have second thoughts. Imagine this person knew where you lived after they weren't happy with the car. Would you want them knocking on your door?

What would really set me off though is the total lack of caution on her part to have the car looked over if she wanted such a perfect car. Not relevant to the thread but I was selling a car a couple of days ago to a couple. The husband was fairly quick about looking at the car, didn't even take it for a spin. We had done the deal fairly quickly and the wife started to fill out the logbook but she started picking at things such as a scuff on the bumper, and then she asked "i hope the clutch is good". I was pretty pissed off now so I handed them back the money and told them no thanks.

She was fairly annoyed about it but he husband was apologetic (to me)

But I don't need hassle like her in my life. I could just tell she'd ring up and complain if it ran out of fuel.

Jeeeeeez the woman tries to come across as knowledgeable and interested and you getting all thick blow everything out of all proportion and walk away... :confused: lmao

Agree with duke you need to sell to a saavy buyer . He obviously sensed that this person would hound him if problems arose in future

Jeeeeeez the woman tries to come across as knowledgeable and interested and you getting all thick blow everything out of all proportion and walk away... :confused: lmao

I repeatedly asked, no insisted that either of them drove the car but they choose not to. Some might think something like that is the easiest sale in history but I know better. She started to pick things out after we had done the deal. And that spells trouble

I repeatedly asked, no insisted that either of them drove the car but they choose not to. Some might think something like that is the easiest sale in history but I know better. She started to pick things out after we had done the deal. And that spells trouble

Well, fair enough and at least you sold it that day. But you know yourself how it goes "The car blew up 500 meters down the road? Too bad, see ya, bye!"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Just to be clear, did the Garda actually threaten anything? Or merely told you this person was upset, can you work something out? I think the OP might have agreed up above that they may have been trying to mediate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

She started to pick things out after we had done the deal. And that spells trouble
    I'd be the same with cars for that amount of money... I'd rather sell it to someone decent who needed it and would appreciate warts and all, quite possibly for slightly less money, than sell it to an awkard ol cnut for slightly more.

If it was some un-sellable in Ireland yoke fair enough you just have to suck it up, but there's always a buyer for cheap honest cars.

TheChizler wrote: »
    Just to be clear, did the Garda actually threaten anything? Or merely told you this person was upset, can you work something out? I think the OP might have agreed up above that they may have been trying to mediate.

A lot of people advising the OP to report the Gard because it's not their own time that'll be wasted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

seamus wrote: »
    This is always the thing.

Trading "experts" will always tell buyers to meet the seller at their house to verify that the guy's not scamming them. I've even heard them advise that you ask to use the toilet so you can be sure it's their house!

Out of the other side of their mouths they'll tell sellers to meet buyers in a well-lit shopping centre car park so that people aren't calling to their door and casing the gaff.

You can't win.

Not to mention using a burner phone, yet the likes of this thread wouldn't exist if all the bad guys did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Agent Smyth

I am amazed the amount of people that have it in for the guards in this situation. the OP didn't make it clear what exactly the guard was calling for just that it was about the sale of the car but the OP did mention about a fake tax disc.
    It would be sorted out quick enough if the OP goes to the station and asks about it, he doesn't even know for sure if an actually Garda rang him.

It BeeMee wrote: »
    Not to mention using a burner phone, yet the likes of this thread wouldn't exist if all the bad guys did it.

Yes, the seller's guide is the absolute polar opposite of the buyer's guide. Reg hidden in the ad, not meeting you at their house, no email, only point of contact is an anonymous mobile phone, sketchy on personal information (Hi, I'm "Mike". Mike Noonan your Business if you have to know!), car doesn't match seller (pink Yaris with unicorn air freshener with a girl's name on the docket, sold by a big, hairy bloke), all these are warning signs to walk (or run) away as fast and far as possible, yet they are practically textbook for selling a car these days. And to me they all point towards unofficial, tax-dodge cowboy operation who don't want any of that pesky warranty business to deal with.
    Of course I get the whole point of not wanting some smelly stranger knowing where you live, or in my case, i live in the countryside and it's easier to meet people somewhere easy to find instead of them getting lost for hours in the countryside.
    The problem is, it's now harder to tell if it's some cowboy selling you the car or a genuine seller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

I never sold a car at my own house. Don't feel comfortable with it. Dunno who your gonna get knocking. Always met localy, never had any issues with it and if someone started pressuring me to meet at the house I'd be even more uncomfortable. I'd simple say no and that's it. Don't like it? Tough go find another car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,516 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I never sold a car at my own house. Don't feel comfortable with it. Dunno who your gonna get knocking. Always met localy, never had any issues with it and if someone started pressuring me to meet at the house I'd be even more uncomfortable. I'd simple say no and that's it. Don't like it? Tough go find another car.

They would have your address on the logbook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

They would have your address on the logbook.

They won't have the logbook :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Let her say what she wants, if she's not happy let her try taking you to court the minute she sits down with a solicitor that should put an end to it. If not and she goes ahead she'll have a year wasted, and she still needs to get a judgement against you, ignore that and she'll need to get onto a sherrif to inforce it, this isn't going to happen.
    If you want to speak to the Garda again do but if there's no need don't bother him as all he was trying to do was resolve a dispute.
    You phone has a block number function, tell he this is the last time your discussing it and block her.
    She's entitled to take a civil case if she wants, she just won't get anywhere with it.

M

They won't have the logbook :)

They will have to view and sign it so will see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

TheShow wrote: »
    Also, you cant be held responsible for how she treated/mistreated the car after the purchase.
    End Of.

Exactly, for all you/we know, she could have entered the car into a 24 hour endurance race at Mondello!! highly unlikely, yes, but not out of the realms of possibility.
    She could just also be a crap driver who exasperated a minor underlying issue with the car (the the OP was unaware of), into a major issue with her driving style!

They will have to view and sign it so will see it.

Debatable. If you're meeting them in a windy car park, you put it face down on the bonnet and hand them a pen. They sign it and hand it back, most people are very naive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭screamer

I wouldn't be impressed with the gard calling regarding the unhappy buyer. Overstepping their duties and an obvious attempt to pressure you into giving back money or something else. I would report it.
    As for the buyer well I dunno but it's a long time to leave to complain. She could have got a huge pothole and damaged the car herself you can't take responsibility for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,920 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

screamer wrote: »
    I wouldn't be impressed with the gard calling regarding the unhappy buyer. Overstepping their duties and an obvious attempt to pressure you into giving back money or something else.

Obvious how, given we have absolutely no idea what the Garda actually said to the OP???

M

Debatable. If you're meeting them in a windy car park, you put it face down on the bonnet and hand them a pen. They sign it and hand it back, most people are very naive.

Id never buy a car not knowing who actually currently owns it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Obvious how, given we have absolutely no idea what the Garda actually said to the OP???

I doubt any Garda called tbh.

this thing of meeting plp in car parks to view cars is a new thing , years ago it was always at persons house. if you advertise furniture on donedeal , do you meet someone in car park with it ? no.

its all about judging the seller and surroundings.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Barack Obama

this thing of meeting plp in car parks to view cars is a new thing , years ago it was always at persons house. if you advertise furniture on donedeal , do you meet someone in car park with it ? no.

its all about judging the seller and surroundings.

Absolutely.

There is no way that I would buy a laptop from someone let alone a car if it wasn't from their house. What have they got to hide?

And the same goes for selling - I would 100% expect someone to want to come to my home if I was selling something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Absolutely.

There is no way that I would buy a laptop from someone let alone a car if it wasn't from their house. What have they got to hide?

And the same goes for selling - I would 100% expect someone to want to come to my home if I was selling something.

Nope.. as someone who's bought and sold a lot of stuff on Adverts I have only twice met someone in my/their house - and that was because the items in question were big and bulky

For everything else you meet in a neutral venue, allow the item to be inspected, and if both happy you do the deal.

Not a chance would I have randomers turning up to my home, and to be honest it's never actually come up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭laoisfan

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Nope.. as someone who's bought and sold a lot of stuff on Adverts I have only twice met someone in my/their house - and that was because the items in question were big and bulky

For everything else you meet in a neutral venue, allow the item to be inspected, and if both happy you do the deal.

Not a chance would I have randomers turning up to my home, and to be honest it's never actually come up.

2nd this - I've sold a few mobile phones in the past and have always met in a neutral, yet public venue where there are a) plenty of people b) plenty of CTV. If a potential buyer objects then I politely decline to sell the item.

As for cars...supermarket during daylight hours I imagine would be a safe bet.

And it's this nativity that unscrupulous sellers rely on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I'd be the other way around - I'd be happier do a deal from home.

Should provide a degree of comfort to a prospective buyer that you've nothing to hide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭laoisfan

I'd be the other way around - I'd be happier do a deal from home.

Should provide a degree of comfort to a prospective seller that you've nothing to hide.

and possibly a prospective nutjob who now knows where you live.

Each to their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

bilbot79 wrote: »
    Did you really not know there was anything wrong with it?

The car is 11 years old. I can tell you for a fact, without ever looking at one, that there is something wrong with every 11 year old car.

In fact there is more than something wrong, there will be loads of problems.

M

laoisfan wrote: »
    and possibly a prospective nutjob who now knows where you live.

Each to their own.

But you will know where the nutjob lives too from their name and address they fill in on the logbook. I have sold my last 4 cars from the house, I have taken photocopies each time of logbook after it was filled in and then I have sent it on. You get the odd looper texting offers on the blind but that's why a special "car sales phone" number should be used :D.

But you will know where the nutjob lives too from their name and address they fill in on the logbook. I have sold my last 4 cars from the house, I have taken photocopies each time of logbook after it was filled in and then I have sent it on. You get the odd looper texting offers on the blind but that's why a special "car sales phone" number should be used :D.

Agreed.

I think it's easy enough to weed out the potentially serious buyer from the messers/serial texters/low ballers/tyre kickers.

this thing about people worried about randomers and nutjobs turning up at things homes to buy things is a sign of the society we live in today - being overly suspicious of strangers - when most people are grand. Thank god I don't have that mentality and view my fellow man like that !

• Advertisement

visual wrote: »
    And it's this nativity that unscrupulous sellers rely on.

It doesn't have to be unscrupulous though.

There are many legitimate reasons why the seller may not be the person on the logbook.

The biggest problem is making out to any prospective buyer that if the seller isn't the person who's named on the logbook that they should run.

There's a lot of room for honesty in this game, from both sides. If we aren't all socagey by nature, things could be much better for us.

...There are many legitimate reasons why the seller may not be the person on the logbook...

Apart from being a car trader I'm struggling to think of any.

Unregistered flipping cars bought at auction or elsewhere and doing so frequently doesn't want anyone coming back to them for what ever reasons but most likely car sold wasn't up to the description or impression given.

Even if they only sold 1 car a month sooner or later someone is going to get screwed over and seller disappear behind screen of invisibility. Burner phone, sale in car park, selling for someone else.

visual wrote: »
    Unregistered flipping cars bought at auction or elsewhere and doing so frequently doesn't want anyone coming back to them for what ever reasons but most likely car sold wasn't up to the description or impression given.

Even if they only sold 1 car a month sooner or later someone is going to get screwed over and seller disappear behind screen of invisibility. Burner phone, sale in car park, selling for someone else.

to give a good and genuine example, that i've experienced.

my mothers cars; she up until recently drove cheap enough cars and we would always move them on privately. my parents were together 30 years before they married, so my mother still has her maiden name on most of her paperwork, mostly for convenience sake. her car is in the name "Mary Byrne" and when she is trading up, i would generally look after selling her old car as my 50 odd year old mother isn't very good at it. I don't live at home and naturally took my fathers last name so my name is "Toyota Fanboy" and i am selling a car in the name of a female with a different second name to my own at an address that isn't the one registered on the logbook.

but it's entirely legit, but would you ever believe it? no.

another;

when i bought my Corolla, the chap was as honest as the day is long. He told me straight up he works for a main dealership during the day and he would personally purchase most of their trade sale stuff and dickie it up and sell it on himself. the garage trusted him and were happy and he's happy to make a few quid. he says look, it was traded in at "x" garage, i bought it, fitted two tyres, got the headlights focused, had it valeted and NCT'd it. it's there, it's €x euros, it's like any private deal, it's sold as seen. It does seem like a good car, i can't see any outstanding issues with it, but i don't know of it's past.

he was honest, i knew what i was getting into. the car was absolutely fine, 12 months later all it failed it's next NCT on was a seized caliper, 15k miles later, hardly his fault.

maybe he's dodging the taxman, but what's the harm there, really?

private individuals often deal in second hand phones, laptops and tablets, white goods and appliances, even animals and pets and we are happy to buy second hand with unknown history. why are we so bent out of shape when someone deals in second hand cars privately? it's just like any other consumer good.

i'm not saying there aren't dodgy characters out there, clocking cars, printing fake NCT certs, removing check engine light bulbs etc, but there isn't really anything inherently out of line by flipping a few used cars, is there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

this thing about people worried about randomers and nutjobs turning up at things homes to buy things is a sign of the society we live in today - being overly suspicious of strangers - when most people are grand. Thank god I don't have that mentality and view my fellow man like that !

I've sold two cars from my home. One was fine, a fellow boardsie in fact. The other was a nutter who got very aggressive when the clutch went after he bought it. and dont think you can rely on the guards either. I'd never sell from my house again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement