Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy wooden flooring

Options
  • 02-02-2016 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭

Hi,

We're thinking about throwing out all the carpet in our house since its effecting the children's asthma and putting down a wooden click floor instead. The area involved is over 120 square meters.

Were interested in a simple real/engineered wood floor in oak, light in colour. Which companies would you recommend in terms of getting a reasonable price? We live in the Midlands but can travel to Dublin or elsewhere if its worth it.

Thanks,

Barra
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Brooks or Noyeks.

A proper engineered laminate - something like 6mm oak on 8mm ply is not really click together stuff but it will last a lifetime.

Were you thinking of the cheap mdf based stuff? You get what you pay for there.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭BarraOG

Steve wrote: »
    Brooks or Noyeks.

A proper engineered laminate - something like 6mm oak on 8mm ply is not really click together stuff but it will last a lifetime.

Were you thinking of the cheap mdf based stuff? You get what you pay for there.

I'm looking to put down a floor which will last for decades rather than years, thats why I want to avoid laminate. So we're looking for Engineered Flooring with a click system or even tongue and groove so we can lay it ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,985 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

recently got flooring in brooks
    we got cheap laminate though. not what I wanted, but with three kids it was what everyone recommended.
    have to say, the price was very very very good, and the quality was certainly not as cheap as I though. it is actually pretty decent stuff.
    they did have some great deals on semi solid flooring and junkers. I don't think you will find anywhere as good value as here

we got cheap laminate though. not what I wanted, but with three kids it was what everyone recommended.
    have to say, the price was very very very good, and the quality was certainly not as cheap as I though. it is actually pretty decent stuff.
    they did have some great deals on semi solid flooring and junkers. I don't think you will find anywhere as good value as here

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Seve OB wrote: »

What did you get in Brooks? (AC3/AC4?) (V-groove?) and how much was is per square yard / meter was it?

• Advertisement

What did you get in Brooks? (AC3/AC4?) (V-groove?) and how much was is per square yard / meter was it?

Oh im not sure. Have a spare pack somewhere that ill check out details. Paid about 13 per sq mtr including vat.
    It was an oak finish

Actually the name dublin oak springs to mind

Then again..... Maybe im miles away. Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭e.r

Click engineered is expensive as far as I know.
    Tongue and groove is easy enough to install, but you will need braces/clamps to get a good tight joint.
    If it's in bedrooms upstairs id recommend using a fibre board 5 or 7 mm, to prevent your kids sounding like elephants when upstairs:)

Place in Dublin called floor design off Naas road and they sell to the public. (No affiliation )
    Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 23,515 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Seve OB wrote: »
    Oh im not sure. Have a spare pack somewhere that ill check out details. Paid about 13 per sq mtr including vat.
    It was an oak finish

I got kronoswiss 10mm with an embossed oak finish for that. A nice wide board. Des kelly can have some bargains from time to time

ted1 wrote: »
    I got kronoswiss 10mm with an embossed oak finish for that. A nice wide board. Des kelly can have some bargains from time to time

Does Des Kelly sell anything other than laminate flooring?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,515 ✭✭✭✭ted1

BarraOG wrote: »
    Does Des Kelly sell anything other than laminate flooring?
    Your kidding right ?
    "Des Kelly, Des Kelly the Carpet man." Also does beds and mattresses

He also does solid, semi solid and engineered floors

ted1 wrote: »
    Your kidding right ?
    "Des Kelly, Des Kelly the Carpet man." Also does beds and mattresses

He also does solid, semi solid and engineered floors

I meant in the wooden flooring line if they did anything other than just laminates. :) Hard to tell from the website what's what - I'll ring them instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

This is who i would go to,You will have to go to the trade counter,
    http://www.pfl.ie/home.html#products

Advertisement