Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I am having the worst time!

Options
  • 02-02-2016 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

So I went to the docs yesterday and they have said I have *SPD and send a referral to a physio. Has anyone else had this before ? I'm 6 months on my second. I also have pulled a few belly muscles . I'm afraid to cough and I laughed earlier and my toddler and fell to the floor in pain! Thank God only 3 months left !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Mac0783

Hi,

I have spd to, I don't think I had it at all with my first. some days are much worse than others, have been waiting on a physio appointment for weeks now.

I have no advice, but I literally feel your pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

I can commiserate too ladies, it really is the most awful pain. I had it very bad on my first, the good news is it disappeared after delivery, although that's not comfort at the moment! I had physio, pelvic belt, crutches etc nothing really abated my pain but helped manage it. Go easy on yourself and make sure to not over do it. Turn under in bed instead of over and when getting up kind of swing your legs to the side and sit up from there.

I'm 21 weeks on number two and haven't escaped it either. I'm going private for physio this time as I know the wait can be long, had my first session last night and again while it doesn't get rid of the pain it helps you manage it.

Sorry you're going through the same thing ladies, it really is awful :(

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭ja1986

Sorry guys mine actually doesn't sound as bad as yours. I just kinda had pressure and felt the baby was going to pop out and they said it spd. Iv only 3 months left so I'm hoping it doesn't get too much worse I have a 2 year old to be running after! Didn't realise the physio would be that long. I picked up a back support belt in deals and also a sleep pillow. Gonna move into the spare room tonight. Sick of being kicked in the back by the little one! I hope ye feel a bit better soon.

It's all discomfort Ja1986 which is literally a pain in the bum! Take all the support you can get and hopefully you get a bit of comfort soon :)

I have 3 months left as well, 30 weeks next week and then I'm on the count down. Went to pennys today. god I love pennys bought some lovely little things for the new baba, made all the pain worth it. :o

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I had it when I was pregnant and it was awful. I was actually crying turning over in bed. If the wait for the hospital physio is going to be weeks, try and get to a physio privately if at all possible. I waited 6 weeks for hospital physio and really regretted it. She was great when I finally got to see her but I was in a complete jock by the time my appointment finally came around. I reckon it might not have been as bad had I been seen earlier. The belt was a godsend.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭ja1986

Ya its just discomfort at the moment thankfully no pain. Iv never heard it before and always wondered why people are put on bed rest! I sailed through the first pregnancy no bother so I knew something wasn't right this time. It's awful isn't it .Well it will be all worth it anyway. Haven't bought anything yet for the poor baby! Gonna pick up vests and stuff and go on a mad shopping spree when it's here. I don't know what I'm having yet so don't really want to be putting the baby in loads of bland stuff.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Oh god, SPD is horrendous. I attended physio for a few months and had been given some exercises to do but my god send was a bump band which was just a large piece of tubi-grip and it really did work! And like previously mentioned, my SPD also disappeared straight after delivery. Best of luck op

I never thought of going private for physio! time to check my newly minted health insurance. Do I need a special physio who deals with pregnancy or can any physio do it?

I have picked up a few bits in the sales, we know what we're having even though we've told people we don't. I was in pennys yesterday... I love pennys. hospital bag sorted, just need a few 0-3 vests now and I think I'm sorted for a while.

• Advertisement

Mac0783 wrote: »
    I never thought of going private for physio! time to check my newly minted health insurance. Do I need a special physio who deals with pregnancy or can any physio do it?

most physios would deal with it, when I was looking for one I googled and most of them have websites which either mention pregnancy or if you give a quick ring they'll tell you.

My VHI covers €40 per session up to 12 sessions a year so if you have health insurance it's worth checking out!

I checked there and I claim up to €600 in the year so it's well covered and you're right the local physio just up the road from my house has done extra training in womens health etc.. so will definitely book an appointment.

I'm not sure what to expect but no harm going once anyway.. thankfully the pain isn't to bad these days but I'm getting very big so I imagine it'll get worse as babs gets bigger / more pressure

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

You can also check some places that do Pregnancy Pilates, I found a lot of them can deal with it. The tubi-grip bandages can also be bought on the likes of Amazon, I bought a big long length of it, cut it in to two pieces, and then folded each one in half before putting it on (to give extra support). That way I had one being worn, and one clean - what with the pregnancy sweating I usually only got a day or two before they needed to go in the wash.

Advertisement