Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contract price changes

Options
  • 02-02-2016 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Virgin Media recently announced they were increasing the contract prices by €5.

According to Comreg, the following applies when this happens;

''Is the service provider allowed to change a contract?

Yes, the law allows your service provider to change the terms and conditions of its service, including its prices. However, it must notify you of the changes at least one month in advance and tell you that you have the right to end the contract without penalty within the month if you do not accept the change(s).
    - See more at: http://www.askcomreg.ie/tell_us/guide_to_phone_and_broadband_contracts_and_switching.232.LE.asp#sthash.uJHR0Jxs.dpuf ''

They want 30 days notice of cancellation.. can they request this notice, when they are the ones increasing the cost? Surely I can just cancel outright with out penalty?

I had sent them an email requesting cancellation two weeks ago, but they said they never received it. Kind of fed up at this stage with them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

The 30 days notice is standard as part of the contract, in turn you get to cancel.

As far as I remember the payments are not in advance of the month, hence the 30 days notice required. It's the same with most phone networks and Sky TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

didn't they give you 30 days notice of price increase? - Notice works both ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Techmaster wrote: »
    Hi all,

Virgin Media recently announced they were increasing the contract prices by €5.

According to Comreg, the following applies when this happens;

''Is the service provider allowed to change a contract?

Yes, the law allows your service provider to change the terms and conditions of its service, including its prices. However, it must notify you of the changes at least one month in advance and tell you that you have the right to end the contract without penalty within the month if you do not accept the change(s).
    - See more at: http://www.askcomreg.ie/tell_us/guide_to_phone_and_broadband_contracts_and_switching.232.LE.asp#sthash.uJHR0Jxs.dpuf ''

They want 30 days notice of cancellation.. can they request this notice, when they are the ones increasing the cost? Surely I can just cancel outright with out penalty?

I had sent them an email requesting cancellation two weeks ago, but they said they never received it. Kind of fed up at this stage with them.

I think you've misread that:
    UPC wrote:
    You can cancel or change your services within 30 days of receiving notice of your price change, without any penalty fees by calling us on 1908 and selecting option 1.

No need to provide 30 days notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Virgin are telling me otherwise. They want 30 days notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭richieb

got an email from eir today saying increase of 2 euro per month, it said I could cease my contract if I was not happy with the price change , rang them str8 away and quoted the email and they said that WITHIN the next 30 days the service will terminate...WITHOUT penalty... rang Vodafone and sighed up with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭richieb

Having you as our customer means a lot to us and we hope that your plan still offers you good value and that you will continue to enjoy the services that we offer. However, if you would like to downgrade or withdraw from your contract, call us on Freephone 1800 303 605 within 30 days of the date of this email and you can do so without penalty. We would also be happy to help you find an alternative plan that may suit you better.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I think you've misread that:

No need to provide 30 days notice.

Just to clear this up. You still do have to provide 30 days notice, meaning that the cancellation cannot be completed immediately, rather you must finish the remaining month/30 days.

What it says is that you, the customer, has 30 days from the time of being advised of the price increase to contact UPC/Sky/Vodafone to get out of your contract without any early termination fees.

Advertisement