Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mould in Apartment

Options
  • 02-02-2016 10:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭

Hi guys at the moment i have a major problem with mould as its a old building so i was expecting there to be a small few problems with damp before i moved in and it seems to be getting worse in my bedroom only room that has the problem. At the moment it is covered nearly one full corner and around one of the windows in my bedroom and the build in also covered in it.

I have been opening the windows and using a dehamidfider none stop over the past few weeks and still been giving huge problems. So how would i go about fixing this ?. As i cant use 1/2 my room at the moment as i afard of things growing mould on it.

Thanks for the help before hand.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

First you need to find the source of the moisture. Maybe a leak in the wall, or water coming from above?

This page seems useful - http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/How-do-I-get-rid-of-damp-and-mould.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Been trying to work out what it could be for the past 2 weeks and no luck it just seems to be comeing from the one area in the corner of the bedroom near the window and around the window. Could there be a leak or something around it ?.

Every day there seems to just be more and more water getting picked up in the dehamidafar.

I was talking to my sister and she was telling me there is a spray you can get to help fight the Mould ?.

The landlord keeps blameing it on being a old building but there is no problems in any other parts of the apartment as its a fairly big place. It just seems to be my bedroom as my housemates has no problem. I have started to store my clothes in the sitting room for safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

You should not accept that answer from the landlord. He should sort it out, either by having the window resealed and treated, or have the wall itself checked and sealed. It might become a structural problem for him later, if that area is suffering from water damage.

Before you treat the mould, you need to stop the damp/water issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭irishmoss

The spray is called Detol Mould & Mildew. It is very strong, so open windows wide when using and for a few hours after. But it might only be a temporary measure if it is a structural problem

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Short term solution: http://www.mouldx.com/mouldx_remover_chlorine_free.html

This is better than less professional stuff you would get from Tesco as it actually has a lasting effect killing the mould and preventing further growth, and will not damage the paint on the wall/ceiling too much. I suggest to protect your eyes, nose, mouth, and hands when you apply it as it is pretty strong stuff.

The protective effet will only last a few weeks/months however. To solve your issue in the long term you need to identify the source of humidity. If it is not obvious to you and you are sure it is not due abnormal activity on your side, you might want to have a professional look at it (or ask your landlord to send one). There could well be water leaking from the outside or from a broken pipe and infiltrating into the wall (especially likely if the issue is limited to a specific area of the room).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Jen44

I had an issue with a damp wall on my landing it was rain penetration through a chimney breast. First thing i did was buy the mould spray, got some in LIDL and it got rid of all the black mould completely after two applications, then once all the black is gone you spray it once more to stop it coming back. Once thats done you need to find the source of damp. As its near a window could it be that the window isnt sealed correctly and is letting in damp there? Is the any gutter leaking outside that is allowing rain run down the walls that could cause penetration. We had to get a rain cowl for our chimney and now have to get the wall re plastered only way to be sure the damp will be gone as it can sit in the plaster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

Personally I would be concerned about any possible health effects of breathing in mould spores in my sleep every night. I think your landlord is in breach of minimum standards here if this is persisting. There is likely a leak elsewhere in the property that is causing the issue and by him not fixing it, you're never going to get rid of this issue properly.

Have you tried the PRTB?

Been in touch with the landlord twice now about it and shes just been a pain told her there i am going to get the mould xand clean it myself but will take the costs of everything for it from the rent as its been going on for over 2 weeks now and i think i am starting to get a bit sick from the dampness.

I think i could be the windows that are the problem as they seems to be a small draft coming trow the sides of the windows.

She told me i could break my lease if i wont to but the problem is where else am i going to find to live ?. I am reg with the PRTB so would it be worth givieng them a call ?

Personally I would be concerned about any possible health effects of breathing in mould spores in my sleep every night.

You are very right there. I am prone to allergies (light asthma, dust mite allergy) and the way I found out about mould issues in my apartment (it was not obvious as the mould was mostly hidden behind furnitures) is that I kept having a sore throat during the night and getting throat infections.

Been in touch with the landlord twice now about it and shes just been a pain told her there i am going to get the mould xand clean it myself but will take the costs of everything for it from the rent as its been going on for over 2 weeks now and i think i am starting to get a bit sick from the dampness.

I think i could be the windows that are the problem as they seems to be a small draft coming trow the sides of the windows.

She told me i could break my lease if i wont to but the problem is where else am i going to find to live ?. I am reg with the PRTB so would it be worth giving them a call ?

Two ways of looking at this:
    - The landlady is definitely not being reasonable here and should at least look into the issue to understand if it is due to your behaviour or something wrong with the building. In both cases it is an issue fore her and in the second case she could even be legally at fault. From that perspective (I am assuming since you are mindful of the issue you are not doing silly things yourself creating theissue) you would be very right to lodge a complaint with the PRTB and it could have an effect.
    - On the other hand once you have done that and even if the PRTB says you are right and forces the landlady to address the issue, she will likely be annoyed with you and take every opportunity to increase your rent or replace you with an "easier" tenant.

I'd still talk to the PRTB, but if the landlady doesn't come to her sense after this initial warning shot and lets things escalate, be ready for a conflictual relationship whereby the best solution might be to move somewhere else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

I wouldn't advise you to deduct any costs you have cleaning up the mould from your rent. If your rent is not paid in full and on time your landlady can issue you with a fourteen day notice to pay any arrears in full. If this is not paid within the allowed fourteen days you can be issued with a termination notice.

Ensure you put any complaint to your landlady about the mould and any request for the problem to be fixed in writing. If nothing is done a complaint to the local authority might help move things along.

If you absolutely have to incur significant expense to deal with the mould keep it separate from your rent. Pay your rent in full and on time and look to recoup any expense through the small claims court if your landlady is not willing to repay any expenses. If your expense is not worth pursuing through the small claims court then you might just have to put it down to experience.

I have called the letting agent where i rented the apartment from and told them i am not happy with what her reacting to doing stuff and sent them on the photos in my room as well. And hinted i might report her to the PRTB if notting is done soon as the dehadmidlfer is not doing anything at all. I just txt the landlord and told her about the damp in my bedroom send her photos and everything. I even offered to buy the spray and clean the walls myself. No reply.

I also asked the letting agent is there anywhere else coming up ?. Said she get back to me. In writeing would a txt/whats app message from me class as writing ?.

Its 1200 a month for the appartment a lot of money i wont to be able to live in the place ?. As i have moved all my clothes out to the sitting room to be safe.

I have called the letting agent where i rented the apartment from and told them i am not happy with what her reacting to doing stuff and sent them on the photos in my room as well. And hinted i might report her to the PRTB if notting is done soon as the dehadmidlfer is not doing anything at all. I just txt the landlord and told her about the damp in my bedroom send her photos and everything. I even offered to buy the spray and clean the walls myself. No reply.

I also asked the letting agent is there anywhere else coming up ?. Said she get back to me. In writeing would a txt/whats app message from me class as writing ?.

Its 1200 a month for the appartment a lot of money i wont to be able to live in the place ?. As i have moved all my clothes out to the sitting room to be safe.

Just a update on it. Txt the landlord and told her i am not happy and wont it fixed.

She is now blaming me for drying stuff in my room and not using the heating ?. I use the dryer to dry things and the heating is on every evening for 2 hours to try and warm the room up with the dehadmidfer going as well.

She told me she is going to come in and clean it with bleach at the weekend. That wont work ..... And she is going to get my room re painted ..... So the problem will happen in 2 months again ......

I will have her in Saterday as i offered to clean everything and get it fixed myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Just a update on it. Txt the landlord and told her i am not happy and wont it fixed.

She is now blaming me for drying stuff in my room and not using the heating ?. I use the dryer to dry things and the heating is on every evening for 2 hours to try and warm the room up with the dehadmidfer going as well.

She told me she is going to come in and clean it with bleach at the weekend. That wont work ..... And she is going to get my room re painted ..... So the problem will happen in 2 months again ......

I will have her in Saterday as i offered to clean everything and get it fixed myself.

Not surprised but makes me sad. Worst house I was in they had painted over black mould with ordinary paint. I had never seen black mould before.. the worst was behind the settee and I was getting sicker and sicker.. noticed I was fine when I was out at markets. Googled it and realised i was in great danger so simply left. Not your fault but f course you know that! Good luck

If she is to clean and repaint (very important to properly clean and kill the mould before repainting - using a spray designed for this purpose will be better than "simple" bleach), do at least try to convince her to use specific paint which is mould repellent. Once dried that paint will have a very flat and smoth surface which makes it more difficult for mould to stick to it and thus grow on it.

But of course to fully solve the issue she needs to find out why the wall is too humid.

Graces7 wrote: »
    Not surprised but makes me sad. Worst house I was in they had painted over black mould with ordinary paint. I had never seen black mould before.. the worst was behind the settee and I was getting sicker and sicker.. noticed I was fine when I was out at markets. Googled it and realised i was in great danger so simply left. Not your fault but f course you know that! Good luck
    Bob24 wrote: »
    If she is to clean and repaint (very important to properly clean and kill the mould before repainting - using a spray designed for this purpose will be better than "simple" bleach), do at least try to convince her to use specific paint which is mould repellent. Once dried that paint will have a very flat and smoth surface which makes it more difficult for mould to stick to it and thus grow on it.

But of course to fully solve the issue she needs to find out why the wall is too humid.

I know i tried to tell her that a proper clean is to get this spray to try and kill the mould. I just dont see bleach killing it myself.

Thats the plan about the paint as she said to me the room was re painted just before i rented the place proves that the problem was always there. She keeps on blaming the guy who was renting it before me who did not look after the place.

I told her also about the dehidmidfer going none stop and about how i wont her to pay the costs for keeping it on witch i think is very fair as why should i be out of pocket for this problem. She said it uses less then a lightblub the thing is the size of a 4 year old child i say it eats the ESB. Does anyone have exp with them ?.

The Mould is growing by the day if it gets any worse i am going to have to sleep on the sofa in the sitting room as i dont wont to get sick i am going to give the landlord a call tonight about this again as she has had 24 hours since the last call to try and get someone to look at it.

I told her also about the dehidmidfer going none stop and about how i wont her to pay the costs for keeping it on witch i think is very fair as why should i be out of pocket for this problem. She said it uses less then a lightblub the thing is the size of a 4 year old child i say it eats the ESB. Does anyone have exp with them ?.

It depends on the kind of dehumidifier, but if I had to give an average I'd say running it 24/7 it is costing you 10 euros per month.

I have one running most of the time myself ( had mould issues and not very careful about humidity level) and it doesn't have a huge impact on the ESB bill. Turning on on electric heater for an hour probably costs more than the dehumidifier for a whole day.
    The Mould is growing by the day if it gets any worse i am going to have to sleep on the sofa in the sitting room as i dont wont to get sick i am going to give the landlord a call tonight about this again as she has had 24 hours since the last call to try and get someone to look at it.

If she doesn't do anything and you think your health is starting to be impacted, at some point I would suggest to clean it yourself (just take pictures before and after and keep a written track of your request for her to address the issue - so that you can prove there was a health hazard and you had to take action yourself).

Update again landlord got back to me its getting fixed monday she is getting someone in to treat it with a spray clean it and then repaint it with the proper paint for mould. Only took 2 weeks but at lest its getting done ha ha.

I will have to bring 1/2 my stuff with me to work monday as dont wont to leave the laptop and tablet around the housemate ha ha

Update the place is getting worce not better. There is 2 dehadminfiers on the go now in both bedrooms Eg mine and roommate both have problems now with damp. The new dehadminfier I have tells me what % damp there is in the room 1st turned on it was 75% not good at all should be about 40% I think ?. It has now dropped to 55% in 2 days on 24/7 getting nearly 20L of water a day from my bedroom.

The bathroom is covered in mlood now as there is no fan in there for ventalation for the past 6 weeks have told her countless times to fix it.

She told she is getting the full building tested Monday and keeps on moving dates to come in to the appartment to test stuff. She was in once this week and said she can't find anything wrong in my bedroom ha ha.

Will I have a case now to report her to the PRTB or what ever it's called ?.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

I think you had a case ages ago TBH.

Your situation sounds grim. I'd be exploring all options to GTFO!

Have bwen looking at other options got offered another house that I viewed but it was very meh and there was a problem with damp there as well.

Thanks about the case going to email the letting agent Monday 1st and tell them I won't to be 1st in line for another place that comes up after renting me this crap. Then just reporting her to the board then.

Any time my girlfirend stays the night she is dying sick the next day and my housemate is allway's sick because of it to and he is pissed as well. Like I think someone is going to end up very sick because of the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Brego888

OP just get the hell out of there. Take whatever accommodation you can get. Your health and that of anyone else staying there is at risk now.

Just a update landlord said I can breck lease over this.

So me and housemate just took a new place to live today and we move in 2 weeks delighted to get this fixed by moving out ha ha.

Just a update landlord said I can breck lease over this.

So me and housemate just took a new place to live today and we move in 2 weeks delighted to get this fixed by moving out ha ha.

I suspect the landlord is tired of this and hoping for a new tenant who doesn't complain.

Anyway - all good for you and I'd say moving out is the best option!

So tommarow is my move day and I am delighted to be getting out as no more 24/7 dehadminfier on the go and clearing out every single day.

Since I told her I am going she has added a new system to the sitting room Eg a 3rd dehadminfier to the appartment ans also more vents to the place.

Still 20L of water pair bedroom per day with this fix.

Was speaking to the guy fitting it and told me this building is in a very bad way. The basement appartment has water running down the walls and all the other appartments are as bad as yours. He said the dehadminfiers won't fix it at all and the place more or less needs to be redone from the ground up.

Got the esb bill today thanks to 2 months dehadminfier cost a good 100 euros extra compare to the last bill. Trying to get the old landlord to pay the extra cost. As if they where not on you could not have lived in the place at all.

Advertisement