Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two days in Kilkenny

Options
  • 02-02-2016 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi All, Heading to Kilkenny for the weekend and I was just wondering what would you recommend for things to do while we are there and places we should eat? We are thinking the castle alright but not sure what else we should fit in. Any suggestions would be great! Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Mosses in bennetsbridge, shopping and lunch ?
    La Rivista is good...not expensive either.
    Brewery tour
    Lots of good pubs,

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Mosses in bennetsbridge, shopping and lunch ?
    La Rivista is good...not expensive either.
    Brewery tour
    Lots of good pubs, O.Riadas,old but good,no yuppies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

Dunmore caves tour, St canices cathedral, smithwicks brewery tour, rothe house tour, and the kilkenny design centre.and places to eat try anocht opposite the castle over the design centre is a must but you will have to book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

It you're staying in town I wouldn't bother with Mosses or Dunmore caves. There's enough in the town with the castle and its park, canices cathedral and roundtower and rothe house as attractions. Then there's the shops.

There are plenty of eating options.
    La revista as mentioned and across the road the italian connection which think does better pizza.
    Asian food Arroi on friary street is great value with every course €11 but scattered about the town there's a good few options for varying budgets.
    Personal favorite though is Zuni.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭wrmwit

There are loads of pubs and restaurants so there won't be an issue there.

There's a lovely walk along the River Nore that we did a while back. We started on the castle side of the bridge, across the wooden pedestrian bridge under the motorway and back to the town. Takes about an hour.

Along with what the above posters said, you'll have no problem filling two days in Kilkenny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

Mosses, moth to a flame candle making and jerpoint glass are things you don't get to see all the time. Its amazing to watch them make them all,

You don't say what you are interested in, but its worth a trip and the scones and coffee in mosses are fab.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

I would recommend climbing the tower at St. Canice's cathedral which gives a great view over the city (weather permitting). The Smithwicks experience tour is great and very close walk from St. Canice's and Rothe House is just across the road. Not sure if there are walking tours of the city at this time of year but I did the Tynan tours before and I would recommend.

Lots of great restaurants in Kilkenny, I think Petronellas on the butter slip is a hidden gem, good value nice food and great staff. Foodworks is also nice for lunch and it is between High Street and Parliament street.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,096 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Folks just going to ask here instead of starting a new thread but I'm going to be in Kilkenny over Paddy's weekend with my girlfriend and was wondering if anyone would recommend a decent pub for the Friday evening for a quiet drink?

Another thing, anytime we've stayed before we have stayed in the Pembroke but would the locals recommend anywhere else? I heard on the radio the Rivercourt has been done up so was considering this.

PS thanks for the restaurant suggestions above. Also never been on the brewery tour so that might be an option aswell.

Hi Emmet.
    You've got a lot to choose from in Kilkenny and what type of pub I'd recommend would depend on what type of an evening you'd be happy with.

For example if you want a quite comfortable pub with some music then Bollards could do. Alternatively if you want a place that's heaving then probably Billy Byrnes, The Left Bank.

So what's your poison?

catbear wrote: »
    Hi Emmet.
    You've got a lot to choose from in Kilkenny and what type of pub I'd recommend would depend on what type of an evening you'd be happy with.

For example if you want a quite comfortable pub with some music then Bollards could do. Alternatively if you want a place that's heaving then probably Billy Byrnes, The Left Bank.

So what's your poison?

Quiet drinks would be best id say. Hectic few weeks in work for both of us so just looking for some time to relax.

• Advertisement

Bollards is lovely for relaxing, comfy big red leather lounge seats, open fire and possibly some acoustic music (no amplification) on Friday and Sat nights. Kytlers would be livelier and comfortable if you get in early enough for a cosy spot. The Hibernian is another comfy option. Tynans bridge bar is nice little spot but it can get very cramped very quickly.

A bit away from the centre is Lenehans on the comer roads, lovely pub.

The left bank can appear very comfy but it gets extremely jammed on the weekends.

Have a relaxing weekend.

catbear wrote: »
    Bollards is lovely for relaxing, comfy big red leather lounge seats, open fire and possibly some acoustic music (no amplification) on Friday and Sat nights. Kytlers would be livelier and comfortable if you get in early enough for a cosy spot. The Hibernian is another comfy option. Tynans bridge bar is nice little spot but it can get very cramped very quickly.

A bit away from the centre is Lenehans on the comer roads, lovely pub.

The left bank can appear very comfy but it gets extremely jammed on the weekends.

Have a relaxing weekend.

Thanks for all the suggestions !!

Advertisement