Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lucan - House near M4 - Noise

Options
  • 03-02-2016 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭

Hi,
    Just looking at house in Lucan that's quite near the M4.
    Fine house but concerned about noise levels.
    Don't want to give exact location, but in general on that stretch heading west, is the noise very noticeable for houses close to the motorway.

Jos

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

jos_kel wrote: »
    Hi,
    Don't want to give exact location, but in general on that stretch heading west, is the noise very noticeable for houses close to the motorway.

Jos

Did you try the Dublin West forum for advice from locals?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Are you looking at 12B Esker Park, or further away?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭furryvision

difficult to say without an exact location... i grew up about 1 minute walk from the N4 and you could barely hear it, knew lots of people on hillcrest drive which is just on N4 and never noticed it inside the houses... in the garden, obviously, i did. wouldn't be put off by it at all myself tho

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Also depends on what you're used to. If you're coming from somewhere rural, you will basically find anywhere within 1km of a motorway or major road has a constant hum - especially if your property is higher than it.

If you've lived in cities all your life, you won't even notice it unless the motorway is literally right over the wall. Even the drop in noise level being one street removed from a motorway is huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ronanclinton

I have a brother and Mam live right next to the M4. Only thing that separates them from the M4 is an 8ft wall and trees. I have to be honest when I have visited and stayed I heard very little from the motorway. Other parts maybe different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭JimmyMW

jos_kel wrote: »
    Hi,

Jos

In general if the property is higher than the road it will be worse than if the property is below the road, if there is trees etc to break it, it will help

Advertisement