Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lucan House- Noise levels near M4

Options
  • 03-02-2016 8:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭

Hi,
    Just looking at house in Lucan that's quite near the M4.
    Fine house but concerned about noise levels.
    Don't want to give exact location, but in general on that stretch heading west, is the noise very noticeable for houses close to the motorway.

Jos

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

jos_kel wrote: »
    Hi,
    Just looking at house in Lucan that's quite near the M4.
    Fine house but concerned about noise levels.
    Don't want to give exact location, but in general on that stretch heading west, is the noise very noticeable for houses close to the motorway.

Jos

In fairness who can answer that without a location. Go sit outside the house you are looking to buy and see yourself or get the selling/letting agent to let you in and have a listen. It's not motorway anywhere in Lucan anyway its a dual carriageway with an 80 kmph limit so the majority of cars will not be doing motorway speeds. The road will certainly be busy a lot of the time though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭megaten

I lived in hillcrest for a while and could always hear the traffic as backgrounds noise. It wasn't loud enough to bother me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭jos_kel

bmwguy wrote: »
    In fairness who can answer that without a location. Go sit outside the house you are looking to buy and see yourself or get the selling/letting agent to let you in and have a listen. It's not motorway anywhere in Lucan anyway its a dual carriageway with an 80 kmph limit so the majority of cars will not be doing motorway speeds. The road will certainly be busy a lot of the time though

The location is hermitage park. I've done as you suggested and sat outside and thought the noise was an issue.
    I compared it to Beech Park and that was a lot quieter. I guess buying a house is a long term project so will have to consider all pros and cons

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

The location is hermitage park. I've done as you suggested and sat outside and thought the noise was an issue.
    I compared it to Beech Park and that was a lot quieter. I guess buying a house is a long term project so will have to consider all pros and cons

Have you not just answered your own question so?

I suppose you got to think about the summer time, sitting in the back garden and listening to traffic, will it bother you?

Have you not just answered your own question so?

I suppose you got to think about the summer time, sitting in the back garden and listening to traffic, will it bother you?

I guess I have to a certain extent in terms of noise. How would Beech Park as a location compared to Hermitage all other things being equal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,498 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Houses were built in the 70s so most need a lot of insulation/central heating upgrades.
    Very settled area with a slightly older demographic.
    Handy for the village if that floats your boat and in St. Mary's parish if that is a factor for choosing schools.

Heroditas wrote: »
    Houses were built in the 70s so most need a lot of insulation/central heating upgrades.
    Very settled area with a slightly older demographic.
    Handy for the village if that floats your boat and in St. Mary's parish if that is a factor for choosing schools.

Thanks. Yes BER rating of house in Beech Park is E1.
    Is Hermitage Park not also in St Mary's parish. My gut is telling me I'd prefer to live in Beech Park, but the house itself in Hermitage is better. Decisions. Decisions.

I guess I have to a certain extent in terms of noise. How would Beech Park as a location compared to Hermitage all other things being equal?

I have friends that live there, its an older estate so houses could need some work, your close to the village but not sure how full the buses are there if your going to town

Is Hermitage Park not also in St Mary's parish. My gut is telling me I'd prefer to live in Beech Park, but the house itself in Hermitage is better. Decisions. Decisions.

We bought over 8 years ago and it was between a house in Hermitage, larkfield and Grange Manor.

Reasons we didn't go with hermitage:
    1) Close to the N4
    2) Buses very full by the time they get there
    3) House needed alot of work.
    4) Alot of rented houses there.

I would prefer beech park over it but thats just me

That house in Beech Park is a good bit away from the N4. Also, the back garden has a northerly orientation so you're shielded by the house when you're in the garden and would be hard pressed to hear the traffic.
    It also has gas central heating with copper piping which is a major plus - no gunbarrel pipes to be ripped up.
    Funnily enough, that house appears to be a tiny bit bigger than other Beech Park houses and seems to be the same size as ones in Beech Grove.

• Advertisement

Heroditas wrote: »
    That house in Beech Park is a good bit away from the N4. Also, the back garden has a northerly orientation so you're shielded by the house when you're in the garden and would be hard pressed to hear the traffic.
    It also has gas central heating with copper piping which is a major plus - no gunbarrel pipes to be ripped up.
    Funnily enough, that house appears to be a tiny bit bigger than other Beech Park houses and seems to be the same size as ones in Beech Grove.

Thanks for that feedback. Yeah it looks good. It's just the E1 rating that's of concern. Do you think it would cost much to upgrade it to D1 or D2?
    Also is north orientation good? I hear south facing is best.

Thanks for that feedback. Yeah it looks good. It's just the E1 rating that's of concern. Do you think it would cost much to upgrade it to D1 or D2?
    Also is north orientation good? I hear south facing is best.

Replace the existing boiler with a condensing boiler, upgrade the heating controls to multi zone to SEAI specs to get the grant, throw in dry lining - probably about €6-7k when you take SEAI and energy supplier grants into account.
    That should get you to C1 or C2. Replacing the boiler and controls would get you to a D ratingi would have thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,404 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

We went from D1 to C1 after replacing a 13 year old gas boiler (68%) with a high efficiency (98%) condensing boiler and upgraded the heating controls. Total cost for that with a high quality German Viessmann boiler was €2.7k minus €600 grant so only cost me a bit over €2k

And on boiler efficiency alone, I'm saving about €400 a year on my gas bill

unkel wrote: »
    We went from D1 to C1 after replacing a 13 year old gas boiler (68%) with a high efficiency (98%) condensing boiler and upgraded the heating controls. Total cost for that with a high quality German Viessmann boiler was €2.7k minus €600 grant so only cost me a bit over €2k

And on boiler efficiency alone, I'm saving about €400 a year on my gas bill

Can you tell us where you got it as we be changing ours after this winter

The Viessman is a class boiler. I got my old Glowworm changed last year as well and got a Viessman put in. Very quiet but heats up the house and hot water quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,404 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Can you tell us where you got it as we be changing ours after this winter

Lucan Plumbing and Heating. Colin Ennis 086 2323323. Lives in Lucan himself.

You could also get a further discount on top of the SEAI grant via an energy supplier grant.
    They have energy saving targets so many are offering their own grant schemes in conjunction with the SEAI grants.

Advertisement