Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Election - Feb 26th Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

What is Michael Lowery doing down in Tipperary that people are still prepared to vote for him? Is he healing the sick? or turning water into wine perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

He just has a good science in indoctrinating folk to believe in fairy-tales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Ugh, they have Clare Daly's face all over posters where I live, wish she'd **** off.

You should have her handcuffed and thrown in a cell on some trumped up charge. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Ursula Halligan destroyed Kenny today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Ursula Halligan destroyed Kenny today.

In a chess game? Brazilian Jiu Jitsu? Any details?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭Stigura

OldGoat wrote: »
    Delighted that a date is finally here. Now I can rant about the ****ing posters everywhere.

Ah, but; Those posters come in fierce handy about the place, once it's all over :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭Lights On

Does anyone else think these people are the worst? I've never noticed them before really, but it feels like this year there's double the amount of them coming to my door at all hours. Had one this morning at 9am, I thought it might have been a delivery I'm waiting for today but no, I rush downstairs and some auld one is smiling at me asking me to vote FG. Then a few nights ago the door starting banging for about 5 minutes at 9pm, I didn't pay attention as unless I'm expecting someone I ain't moving to open it at that time, but after the knock didn't work they decided to start banging the letter box too...pain in me hole!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Security gates, problem solved ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

Lights On wrote: »
    Does anyone else think these people are the worst? I've never noticed them before really, but it feels like this year there's double the amount of them coming to my door at all hours. Had one this morning at 9am, I thought it might have been a delivery I'm waiting for today but no, I rush downstairs and some auld one is smiling at me asking me to vote FG. Then a few nights ago the door starting banging for about 5 minutes at 9pm, I didn't pay attention as unless I'm expecting someone I ain't moving to open it at that time, but after the knock didn't work they decided to start banging the letter box too...pain in me hole!

You had your lights on. Turn them off in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

We had Canvassers in the apartment building last night , that's certainly a new one. were on the 3rd floor of a secure apartment block , i don't think before last night we have ever had a knock on the door from anyone let alone canvassers, in the 5 years we've been there. But 8:30 last night , ignored the first knock just thought it was kids messing or that but they were persistent, open the door n here two lad's strait out with "will you be giving Mary Lou your #1"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭Lights On

Mesrine65 wrote: »

Gates can be climbed by overeager people, you know how some of these people feel about politics :pac:

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Let them in through the gates.
    Don't let them out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Gates can be climbed by overeager people, you know how some of these people feel about politics :pac:
    Then they will be greeted by my two protective Akita's ;):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

"MY name Zliesciew. I come Ireland one years ago. I have not vote."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

We never see anyone in Back of Beyond.

Last time around the FF guy came round and gve us a pen with his name on. Its a good writer - we still have it.

Nice guy, didn't vote for him.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

I had some anti-everything before profits alliance united leftie eejit around last night ranting about making the rich pay for everything blah blah blah. He asked me what my concerns were going into the election so I said I was afraid that his crowd would brand me as being "the well off" and take even more of my hard earned pay, he didn't have an answer for that. I wished him well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

Haven't been canvassed yet this time. I'm thinking of recording any interactions I have with candidates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Yeah found that so mine have a neat stretch of barbed wire atop,,, Thankfully I am so far out in the sticks here that few will bother. HR did of course when i was new here ( Healy Rae) And get a dog, a loud one..;)

Then they will be greeted by my two protective Akita's ;):D

Grand! Mine is a russet, Jack Russell Basset cross, and she has a piercing bark and sharp white teeth..VERY sharp white teeth ;)

osarusan wrote: »
    "MY name Zliesciew. I come Ireland one years ago. I have not vote."

Tried a variation of that with our local Healy Rae... He promply went to his car and got out registration forms from the boot.. came in very handy they did ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

A politician cannot cross thresholds unless invited

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

What they say: yes yes yes of course yes, oh that lot would tax us all yes yes yes

What i hear: Please help me get a 170000 a year job and I will be as good as any of the rest of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Hibrasil

We are in that period where Mass Trespassing is OK......where Lies and Conman-ship is the order of the day......where Litter is dumped in your mailbox without your consent......the answer is not to get angry.....it much better to get even....even great for the soul to do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

BMJD wrote: »
    I had some anti-everything before profits alliance united leftie eejit around last night ranting about making the rich pay for everything blah blah blah. He asked me what my concerns were going into the election so I said I was afraid that his crowd would brand me as being "the well off" and take even more of my hard earned pay, he didn't have an answer for that. I wished him well.

"I am the rich." <CLICK> "Start a-runnin', boy!!" :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Graces7 wrote: »
    Tried a variation of that with our local Healy Rae... He promply went to his car and got out registration forms from the boot.. came in very handy they did ;)

They're the epitome of the ould-stock FF ethos - vote early, vote often! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Slather the top of the gate with grease, then.

One of the lads here in work did that to one of the phones on the factory floor, and went to a different phone to ring the first one in order to catch a lad who was working near that phone. When the phone started ringing, one of the women was passing by and answered it. Her hair was destroyed with the grease!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Does no one answer their door naked anymore ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Slather the top of the gate with grease, then.

One of the lads here in work did that to one of the phones on the factory floor, and went to a different phone to ring the first one in order to catch a lad who was working near that phone. When the phone started ringing, one of the women was passing by and answered it. Her hair was destroyed with the grease!

Was the woman or the first lad the canvasser ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Hibrasil wrote: »
    where Litter is dumped in your mailbox without your consent..
    Some posters here were admitting they are among the breed of cunt canvassers who ignore "no junkmail" signs and will tell you that the onus is on YOU to go and buy or make an additional sign specifically saying "no political flyers" or similar.

If anyone has found they ignored your "no junkmail" sign I would suggest finding the address of the politician, or canvasser. Go around to their house, have they got a "no dogshit" sign on their door? no? well then then go right ahead and post one in.

Maybe you have an old matress to be rid of? is there a "no matress" sign in their front garden? then they have only themselves to blame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Does no one answer their door naked anymore ?

Yes

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Grrrr. One of them knocked my alarm off this morning by banging aggressively on the door. For gods sake, I have a doorbell lads !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I'm looking forward to the Fianna Fail canvassers coming, I will give them some savaging, cowardly traitors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Can you make it from here to the gate in 9 seconds cause the Doberman can do it in 10 and he takes no prisoners.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭CJ Haughey

Hear them out anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Two of my neighnours have novel ideas.

1) He has all the postal stuff he recieved made into a collage with a notice underneath saying
    "If your leaflet is here, don't knock. If your leaflet is not here , don't knock.

2) She has a huge poster of Gery Adams in her window.

I said to her, "I didn't know you were a shinner."
    She said "I'm not but the others will stay away and the shinners won't bother trying to preach to the converted."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

The only thing I hate is if they just say give me a vote and go on to the next house. Nothing about what they stand for or if I the prospective voter has any concerns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

I canvass, I don't mind it, I don't ignore "no junk mail" signs - others do.

Some people are lovely, some are clearly busy, some arent voting your way, some will give you a piece of their mind.

DONT argue back, thank them for their time and bid them good day.

If they are busy, thats fine too, if they take a leaflet well and good.

If they have concerns, write them down, and bring them to the candidate.

Its slightly different from the Marriage Referendum, but I had a personal stake in that one, and attacks on the candidate or party are not an attack on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭boardie100

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

There's a lot of singing going on.
    Maybe they know their audience and this appeals to them.Or it could be from the Cillet Bang school of marketing.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I can't wait for them to call. You know the thing that kids do by responding with the word 'Why?' to anything. I'm going to alter that slightly and keep asking:

'But what are you going to do for me'.

How many canvassers can get someone to change their mind at the door? Very few, I would wager. I know my 1st three preferences already. They're wasting their time coming to my house

If you don't pay the household charge, can they remove you from the register of electors ? Happened someone I know. Is that legal ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod-Threads merged. Please try keep all Election stuff here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Debate should be good tonight.

I get that the 3 of them will just try to get in a few soundbites, have the odd dig and land a few blows but it will still be interesting.

So many questions

Will Enda be over-coached and come across as wooden? Will he answer any questions or avoid them as per the Dail? How many times will he say "recovery"?

Will Gerry be able to handle the IRA, SCC, Gangland, Slab, NI digs? Will he show his teeth?

Will Joan bring up the Dublin West poll? Irish Water? Jobstown Kidnapping? Complete lack of any reform of social welfare? Alan Kelly?

Will Micky Martin apologise for past mistakes? Who will he go after the most? Probably Gerry and then Enda.

Actually what word will be used most often in the debate?

Ivan Yates afterwards should be a hoot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

If you're planning on watching TV3 shortly, brace yourselves, there's an avalanche of bullshít coming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Who do you think will call it a day after there told to step off the gravy train? I can't see Joan B keeping on the train any longer, looks drained and same with Enda K, although I don't think he will step of the train just yet.

I'd say a few of them know the ghost is up, Labor are going to take a massive hit in this election.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The Labour Party

all of them

Advertisement