Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Election - Feb 26th Megathread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Jayop wrote: »
    Jeez, not much support for FF on boards looking at the results above.

And with a little bit of luck, the actual election will reflect that.

Of course, a poll on boards doesn't account for the ageing (yet abundant) "but we're a Fianna Fail family" contingent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Car crash interview with Adams right now on RTE TV news.

Can't believe Adams asked Dobbo if he was one of those making €100,000 per year. Ha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

Billy86 wrote: »
    And with a little bit of luck, the actual election will reflect that.

Of course, a poll on boards doesn't account for the ageing (yet abundant) "but we're a Fianna Fail family" contingent.[/QUOTE

up to the last election i was part of that family but was totally sickened by what happened the country so voted fg
    am i happy with everything they've done ... no
    do i think 5 yrs is enough to sort mess out...no
    would i vote ff again ..no
    will i vote fg again .. yes
    not happy at some of their decisions but they had a tough task and some very unpopular decisions to make but i think in the overall scheme of things they did ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭Flange/Flanders

I'm a west of Ireland man, big news in my town about a hotel that closed down after many years business. Much rabbling on facebook about how this is all FG's/Labour's fault. Noone commenting that the hotel itself was a ****ing kip and had not been renovated for 20 years.

So my questions: Are more people becoming anti government/establishment? Or is facebook becoming a place where a predominant view takes hold and people are afraid to air any other view for fear of the abuse they'll receive. and due to this, are some of the more outrageous candidates feeling legitimised since they now have a platform for their ramblings that wouldn't be allowed by serious media institutions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I'm a west of Ireland man, big news in my town about a hotel that closed down after many years business. Much rabbling on facebook about how this is all FG's/Labour's fault. Noone commenting that the hotel itself was a ****ing kip and had not been renovated for 20 years.

So my questions: Are more people becoming anti government/establishment? Or is facebook becoming a place where a predominant view takes hold and people are afraid to air any other view for fear of the abuse they'll receive. and due to this, are some of the more outrageous candidates feeling legitimised since they now have a platform for their ramblings that wouldn't be allowed by serious media institutions?

Are you referring to Erris?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭spakman

Very drab campaign so far, hope there's some drama or more straight talking in the run up to vote. Lot of floating votes up for grabs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Has anybody else not got their polling card yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

spakman wrote: »
    Very drab campaign so far, hope there's some drama or more straight talking in the run up to vote. Lot of floating votes up for grabs

The FG tag line "Keep the Recovery Going" is really grating on people now. Keep the farce going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Castlebar, I reckon Jayo.

Not really, more representative of the national opinion polls than any of the other parties.

I just mean there is far too much support for SF, I would put someone who votes for SF in the same bracket as someone who would vote for Donald Trump. Absolutely clueless.
    osarusan wrote: »

I don't know about mine as my vote is up home, much ask one of the parents later if it came.

In any case it doesn't really matter if you show up with photo ID you can vote without the card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭CFlat

I've got two and always have done! One in my old home place being posted out for the last couple of decades and the one where I live now. I suppose I should have contacted my old county council offices and told them I'm not there anymore.

Unless you've just moved to a new location and don't know what school to go to, you don't need a polling card. ID will suffice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

I just mean there is far too much support for SF, I would put someone who votes for SF in the same bracket as someone who would vote for Donald Trump. Absolutely clueless.
    I'd say that about Fine Gael and Fianna Fail - we know what they are like, and would be mad to vote for either of them again - I'd expect Sinn Fein to just be another flavour/variety of cronyism, given the frequent criminality from IRA remnants (so some cronyism perhaps, benefiting different groups - but cutting out the current elite/establishment, which is important), but they'd be hard pressed to destroy the economy like Fianna Fail did, or lurch towards creating a rentier economy where the 'recovery' is felt most by better off sections of the economy (with all the cronyism that entails) like Fine Gael.

Sinn Fein are among the parties I'd least like to vote for, I don't trust them at all - but they are still higher in preference than FF/FG, as both of them are much much worse, and have an air of near-open contempt for the public.

I'd pick a party like the Social Democrats first of all - and think it's important for the country that they grow significantly in the coming years - but as much as I have a bad taste in my mouth about Sinn Fein, I'd still say they'd be a far sight better than FF/FG - which is not hard to do really.

I'd say that about Fine Gael and Fianna Fail - we know what they are like, and would be mad to vote for either of them again -

Yes we know what FG are like, they came in when the country was on its knees and have overseen our recovery and got the country well back on track. They have now started to remove some of the necessary evils such as USC and started to put money back in peoples pocket and we are seeing rapid growth and job creation thanks to them. They aren't perfect but they have done a very good job. Mad to vote for the party that's helped the country recover from a massive recession? I think not.

If the likes of SF were in power or all the other "burn the bondholders", "say no to the IMF", "don't bail out the banks" idiots the country would be in ruins absolutely destroyed just like Greece. I have to laugh (though it isn't funny) when I see people still support parties would would not have cooperated with the IMF despite seeing how we would have ended up looking at Greece.

Just be thankful it was FG in power for the last few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I live in a small village but even so not one canvasser has called to the door, the neighbours haven't seen anyone either.

Seems like they might be keeping to the towns more urban areas.

I'm in the Galway East constituency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Got mine on Wednesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭FalconGirl

Yes we know what FG are like, they came in when the country was on its knees and have overseen our recovery and got the country well back on track. They have now started to remove some of the necessary evils such as USC and started to put money back in peoples pocket and we are seeing rapid growth and job creation thanks to them. They aren't perfect but they have done a very good job. Mad to vote for the party that's helped the country recover from a massive recession? I think not.

If the likes of SF were in power or all the other "burn the bondholders", "say no to the IMF", "don't bail out the banks" idiots the country would be in ruins absolutely destroyed just like Greece. I have to laugh (though it isn't funny) when I see people still support parties would would not have cooperated with the IMF despite seeing how we would have ended up looking at Greece.

That will leave a €4bn hole in their balance sheet. Its populist stuff from FG equal to trying to buy votes at a time the global economy is on a knife edge.

If they want to give something to the people it should be initiatives to lower the cost of living.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

FalconGirl wrote: »
    That will leave a €4bn hole in their balance sheet. Its populist stuff from FG equal to trying to buy votes at a time the global economy is on a knife edge.

If they want to give something to the people it should be initiatives to lower the cost of living.

Its over 5 budgets depending on revenue returns.

Its not all of a sudden.

• Site Banned Posts: 41 great_scot

I'd say that about Fine Gael and Fianna Fail - we know what they are like, and would be mad to vote for either of them again - I'd expect Sinn Fein to just be another flavour/variety of cronyism, given the frequent criminality from IRA remnants (so some cronyism perhaps, benefiting different groups - but cutting out the current elite/establishment, which is important), but they'd be hard pressed to destroy the economy like Fianna Fail did, or lurch towards creating a rentier economy where the 'recovery' is felt most by better off sections of the economy (with all the cronyism that entails) like Fine Gael.

Sinn Fein are among the parties I'd least like to vote for, I don't trust them at all - but they are still higher in preference than FF/FG, as both of them are much much worse, and have an air of near-open contempt for the public.

I'd pick a party like the Social Democrats first of all - and think it's important for the country that they grow significantly in the coming years - but as much as I have a bad taste in my mouth about Sinn Fein, I'd still say they'd be a far sight better than FF/FG - which is not hard to do really.

the social democrats are just disgruntled labour party people , I see nothing which seprates from from labour

• Site Banned Posts: 41 great_scot

I live in a small village but even so not one canvasser has called to the door, the neighbours haven't seen anyone either.

Seems like they might be keeping to the towns more urban areas.

I'm in the Galway East constituency.

incredibly boring constituency

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭flutered

a political broadcast on belhalf of the gubberment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

And far too much support for SF.

33% support for FG on the boards.ie poll. It doesn't surprise me really. I am always amazed at the conservatism on boards. In what I assume is quite a young demographic, the narrow mindedness and old fashioned ideas are remarkable.
    FG supporters point to an economic recovery under their tenure and the collapse of the economy under FF. What they will not mention is the prevailing global economic conditions that have led to benign conditions currently, low interest rates, low oil prices,weak euro. Or acknowledge global economic conditions which prevailed in 2008.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

See rumours of a Sunday Times poll around that has FG 30, FF 22, SF 15 and LAB...4...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Ha. Your analysis is complete rubbish and I suspect you haven't a clue about what you're talking about.

The fact the Irish state paid billions of public money to private interests should never be so casually brushed off. Who's to say what the situation would be like now had we defaulted. Winding up the banks and solely doing business with IMF might have worked. Iceland did well out of telling the European powers to **** themselves.

#1 Social Democrats
    #2 Green Party
    #3 Labour
    #4 Fine Gael
    #5 Fine Gael

Haven't decided my preference order after that, but as I live in Lucinda Creighton's constituency I am making sure to give every candidate except her a number. Yay for small and insignificant (and arguably quite petty) victories! \o/

Would really like to see the Social Democrats do well, they're the only party around at the moment that I'd consider becoming a member of.

Yes we know what FG are like, they came in when the country was on its knees and have overseen our recovery and got the country well back on track. They have now started to remove some of the necessary evils such as USC and started to put money back in peoples pocket and we are seeing rapid growth and job creation thanks to them.
    Bullshít. They are riding on the benefits of external economic conditions, and are desperately trying to take credit for any/all good things that have happened for the economy, and taking responsibility for virtually none of the bad things.

I doubt there's a person in the country who can't see through that bollocks.
    Mad to vote for the party that's helped the country recover from a massive recession? I think not.
    Don't take what I said and put it in different words. Closer to what I said, would be: Mad to vote for a cronyistic party like Fine Gael, who shapes the 'recovery' we're supposedly having, so that it primarily benefits the upper echelons of society - the well connected industries and businessfolk, who make up the established power base in this country.

What exact policy are SF promising to implement, that will result in that?

I don't like SF one bit, but they are a far sight better than cronyistic parties like FF/FG - and desperate scaremongering like what you're trying to engage in here, shows you don't actually have any substantive criticisms of them (hell, I've put more substantive criticism of them here, than that).

The main problems vocal FG supporters tend to have with SF, is that they are in any way left of the status quo, and that they threaten to uproot current establishment powers privileged positions.

• Advertisement

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    33% support for FG on the boards.ie poll. It doesn't surprise me really. I am always amazed at the conservatism on boards. In what I assume is quite a young demographic, the narrow mindedness and old fashioned ideas are remarkable.
    FG supporters point to an economic recovery under their tenure and the collapse of the economy under FF. What they will not mention is the prevailing global economic conditions that have led to benign conditions currently, low interest rates, low oil prices,weak euro. Or acknowledge global economic conditions which prevailed in 2008.
    I wouldn't take that poll at face value - expect an influx of newly regged FG supporters in the next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Rumple Fugly

The high support for FG makes me think we get what we deserve in this country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

I wouldn't take that poll at face value - expect an influx of newly regged FG supporters in the next week.

"I dont usually vote FineGael, but they haven't done a bad job last few years so i will this time!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Bullshít. They are riding on the benefits of external economic conditions, and are desperately trying to take credit for any/all good things that have happened for the economy, and taking responsibility for virtually none of the bad things.
    Wouldn't you expect the other PIIGS to be equally benefiting if it was all down to external economic conditions?

The government must have played some role in the recovery?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I do believe when it boils down to it there will be a similar government returned with a less majority.

FG (32%)+LAB (7%)+SD (4%)+GREEN(3%)

The LAB vote had just fractured to SD, GREEN and OTHERS

FG will slip a few points lent votes from FF in last election.

FF will do well enough considering, probably get 24% of vote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭dasdog

l'll use my vote to try and prevent Alan twenty houses GSOC cvnt Shatter from being re-elected. It's a poisoned chalice no matter which amateur landlords, publicans and school teachers get in Leinster St if a global downturn triggers.

Looking forward to democracy in action next week though for a little ankle kicking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭CFlat

Id say there's already been an influx of new registrations and would suggest that they are more SF supporters then FG ones but maybe for transparency Boards should reveal all who have voted. Even just for the laugh because Boards certainly isn't representative of the country on the whole.

I'm not a FF supporter but there is no way they are going to do as badly as the poll here suggests.

corny wrote: »
    Ha. Your analysis is complete rubbish and I suspect you haven't a clue about what you're talking about.

The fact the Irish state paid billions of public money to private interests should never be so casually brushed off. Who's to say what the situation would be like now had we defaulted. Winding up the banks and solely doing business with IMF might have worked. Iceland did well out of telling the European powers to **** themselves.

There is absolutely no doubt that this country would be ruined for generations if we had defaulted and let the banks fail. The decisions of the government are being proven correct with every passing day.

There is no way we would be having the growth and job creation we are now, that people would be back being able to spend money, buy houses etc and be looking at having our crazy high taxes reduced at last. The country would have collapsed.

The fact people can't see that makes me think think they really have absolutely no clue at all about how the situation was and how a different course of action would mean we would not be a country in bits rather than one that's improving faster than most other countries in the world. FG are owed a hell of a lot of thanks for how they got us here, if the likes of SF were in power there is a high chance you wouldn't be able to get money from an ATM today.

Phoebas wrote: »
    Wouldn't you expect the other PIIGS to be equally benefiting if it was all down to external economic conditions?

Which of the other PIIGS are well known as a heavy finance-based open economy and tax haven? Virtually every economist out there, notes Ireland is an open economy - and that it is thus highly exposed to the ups and downs of world economic conditions.

I didn't say all, and I said 'recovery', not recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

So a leaked opinion poll for the Sunday times has:
    FG 30%
    FF 22%
    SF 15%
    Labour 4%

A wipeout of Labour????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

The government could have chosen to default on their bond obligations, they made the right choice not to and now we are seeing a recovery. If we followed the advice if the burn the bondholder brigade we would be much worse off. Ireland's economy is showing impressive growth.

Not necessarily: http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/imf-ireland-could-have-saved-billions-by-burning-anglo-bondholders-617688.html

The global economy does not care if Ireland burns a few bondholders and will move on fairly quickly because its not a huge amount of money in the scheme of things.

There is absolutely no doubt that this country would be ruined for generations if we had defaulted and let the banks fail. The decisions of the government are being proven correct with every passing day.

There is no way we would be having the growth and job creation we are now, that people would be back being able to spend money, buy houses etc and be looking at having our crazy high taxes reduced at last. The country would have collapsed.

The fact people can't see that makes me think think they really have absolutely no clue at all about how the situation was and how a different course of action would mean we would not be a country in bits rather than one that's improving faster than most other countries in the world. FG are owed a hell of a lot of thanks for how they got us here, if the likes of SF were in power there is a high chance you wouldn't be able to get money from an ATM today.
    The country already is fúcked for generations - there is no way out of the mess the Euro created, we are trapped in, and people are generally too thick to see the looming economic crises on the way, and that nothing from the last crisis was dealt with - only delayed to a future point - and will come home to roost, to tank our economy for another generation, unless something is done to fix the whole mess (which may not happen in our lifetimes - because this whole mess greatly benefits certain powerful parts of societies).

There is no crisis for those better off in our societies though, is there? No, many of the elite/established sections of society get the equivelant of free fúcking money, due to how QE massively raises the wealth of the finance industry and those who are already wealthy.

More than that, Fine Gael are among the parties who works with established powerful sections of society, so that any 'recovery' is reserved disproportionately for those more powerful/privileged sections of society/business - not the average person.

This is why there is so much effort at trying to promote them as economically 'prudent'/'successful' (yes - they are a huge economic success for certain privileged parts of society/business), and why there is so much bullshít scaremongering about parties, who threaten to run government more in favour of the average person - as if not pandering disproportionately to existing established/powerful interests, would magically collapse the economy, rather than restoring some economic fairness/justice.

The government could have chosen to default on their bond obligations, they made the right choice not to and now we are seeing a recovery. If we followed the advice if the burn the bondholder brigade we would be much worse off. Ireland's economy is showing impressive growth.
    Why are you quoting my post? That is not a reply to anything I said in the quoted post.

There's no cogent reasoning behind that opinion though. You believe that because you want to believe it.

Iceland was an absolute basket case during the financial crisis, far worse than Ireland. They liquidated two of their biggest banks effecting foreign (mainly Dutch and UK) depositors. Yet if you index GDP growth their economy recovered quicker than ours. Actually by most metrics, their economy recovered quicker than ours.

As I said, I suspect what you're regurgitating is political speak. Consider this. The fact our economy is in reasonable shape now doesn't prove the plan implemented was the only way. There's more than one way to skin a cat! We might have done better out of telling the Germans to do one.

There's no cogent reasoning behind that opinion though. You believe that because you want to believe it.

Iceland was an absolute basket case during the financial crisis, far worse than Ireland. They liquidated two of their biggest banks effecting foreign (mainly Dutch and UK) depositors. Yet if you index GDP growth their economy recovered quicker than ours. Actually by most metrics, their economy recovered quicker than ours.

As I said, I suspect what you're regurgitating is political speak. Consider this. The fact our economy is in reasonable shape now doesn't prove the plan implemented was the only way. There's more than one way to skin a cat! We might have done better out of telling the Germans to do one.

Iceland was not in a monetary union, nor in the EU. They could devalue their currency and do things we couldn't.
    The Icelandic economy is tiny in comparison to Ireland.
    Our central bank, the ECB was not open to measures that Iceland took. We needed the ECB on side or it would have been similar to Greece and their banks which were shut for weeks, until the Greek government came on side with the ECB.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭Jack Killian

RobertKK wrote: »
    Iceland was not in a monetary union, nor in the EU. They could devalue their currency and do things we couldn't.
    Our central bank, the ECB was not open to measures that Iceland took. We needed the ECB on side or it would have been similar to Greece and their banks which were shut for weeks, until the Greek government came on side with the ECB.

Just yesterday the UK was threatening to leave the EU and got a meeting in which a negotiation took place; neither side got everything they wanted, but both sides compromised. An actual deal was negotiated. By real polticians who didn't roll over and make their employers take it up the arse.

Phoebas wrote: »

You would if you were cluelessly regurgitating the spin.

Ireland does more trade with the U.K. & U.S. than the others, which means that we are a completely different scenario, bringing in cash from outside the Eurozone.

All you have to do is look at Greece and you have your answers of how we would have ended up had we gone down that road.

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Its over 5 budgets depending on revenue returns.

Its not all of a sudden.

It was "impossible" just 10 weeks ago. It is also almost the exact same as SF, as they have a "clawback" (aka call it something new and confusing, but definitely don't say we're keeping any USC as "abolish" will fool the too-stupid-for-fiscal-space) on those over €100,000.

And the "depending on annual returns" is a suitably vague caveat; they'll keep it and probably blame FF

All you have to do is look at Greece and you have your answers of how we would have ended up had we gone down that road.

Completely disingenuous. FG love making comparisons NOW with Greece, but before Greece was cut loose they were blaming Syriza there while blaming FF here. If they were even remotely credible or consistent they would have blamed Greece's PREVIOUS Government, but that consistency didn't suit the narrative.

Just yesterday the UK was threatening to leave the EU and got a meeting in which a negotiation took place; neither side got everything they wanted, but both sides compromised. An actual deal was negotiated. By real polticians who didn't roll over and make their employers take it up the arse.
    Yea but if the EU/ECB don't like what we do, they can just make up an excuse to pull the rug out from under our economy, like the ECB did with Greece.

We don't live in an actual democracy anymore - you can't have full democratic control over your country, without a sovereign currency - as my first post in this thread explained.

Ireland didn't have years to talk about what measures should be taken, which is what it took the UK to get from talking about a referendum, to negotiations to a referendum still to come later in the year.

Ireland didn't have years to talk about what measures should be taken, which is what it took the UK to get from talking about a referendum, to negotiations to a referendum still to come later in the year.

Ireland doesn't do "years of planning", because FF & FG only do the basics with a view on the next election.

Ireland doesn't do "years of planning", because FF & FG only do the basics with a view on the next election.

I think that is unfair on both.

I mean if that was the case we wouldn't be one of the wealthiest countries in the world.
    Watch CNBC, the biggest business channel in the world. Nearly every day Ireland gets mentioned as US companies invert and make themselves tax resident in Ireland.
    The planned Pfizer inversion with Irish based Allergan to make Pfizer technically an Irish company is said to be worth over €620 million a year in taxes to our revenue.
    So consistent tax policy which has been the case for many years now for companies shows a long term plan.
    The IFSC was a long term plan.
    Encouraging the pharma companies to ireland was a long term plan.
    Building motorways was a long term plan.
    Building tunnels in Cork, Dublin and elsewhere was a long term plan, putting in the Luas was a long term plan.
    Banning smoking in enclosed spaces was a long term plan.

Some of the budgets close to elections have been short term, but a lot of long term planning has been there too.

• Advertisement

I don't accept the comparison with Greece (their debt dwarfs ours and their economy was always built on fragile foundations) but you're right its not exactly like for like with Iceland. My point was more we would have been entering uncharted waters had we wound up the banks. I don't accept the seemingly straightforward assumption that we'd be an absolute basket case had we done so.

We would have forced the hand of the ECB and the likes of Merkel and it might have got messy but let's be honest the alternative has hardly been palatable.

Advertisement