Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Panda,annual bin charge

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Alan f&@king Kelly wasn't it? He really is a muppet.

Thank God Labour are gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭kranbo

Just done a quick estimate on my bills with these charges based on current usage

Black bin - increase of €32 yearly

Brown bin - €120

Annual fee - €8

Total increase €160

What a rip off - no more grass going into brown bin

kranbo wrote: »

What a rip off - no more grass going into brown bin

No more anything going on the brown bin. Little green bags going to be deposited in litter bins on the way to work each morning I think. Illegal I know but I've had enough of all these charges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

dodzy wrote: »
    Black bin: €3.20 for the lift and 27c per kg on top of this charge.
    Brown bin: €2.56 for the lift and 16c per kg on top.

Which would mean my black last lift would have cost €12.11, not the €9.05. And that was the lightest lift since they started registering the weight.

Our heaviest was 70kg meaning I would have paid €22.10!

And there'll be a massive difference in the brown bin, most of the time there's so little in it that it doesn't register any weight.
    Just checked my online account and my black bins usually weigh between 15-20kg. so I'll save a euro or so on the black but lose it and some with the brown.

How often do you put yours out? We've put ours out 4 times this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I thought the new regulations prohibited flat fees and it had to be pay by weight? If that's the case Panda are in breach of them. If there can be an element of both then they're price gouging. Either way their behaviour is pretty shoddy.

ThisRegard wrote: »

How often do you put yours out? We've put ours out 4 times this year.

I'm around 4 times a year in total. Just me and Mrs. Presley in the house and we're quite good at separating stuff.

Panda new pricing structure from 1 July:

Yearly service charge up from €110 to €118. Again payable yearly or 6monthly.

Now for the good bit:

So last year our black bin went out 10 times at €8.70 per lift, plus the €110 service charge which brought the total to €197 for the year.

Based on the weights and frequencies for the black and brown lifts for 2015 this will now go up to €260.31, an increase of 32%. And I know that we're getting away lightly compared to some people, but to be paying a third extra for a service that "most people will save money on" is an absolute disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Hoping someone can come up with a better deal with another provider.

Or is it as easy as change provider, new sticker on bin and away you go?

I don't think there are any other providers that cover where we are, so we're stuck with Panda having a monopoly and the ability to charge whatever they like.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Zaph wrote: »
    I don't think there are any other providers that cover where we are, so we're stuck with Panda having a monopoly and the ability to charge whatever they like.

That's the annoying thing. It begs belief that Alan Kelly was so naive to come out and say we'd all be paying less when he had no way of knowing what the bin companies would be charging, especially when he didn't put any max charge on it. And as said, there's no competition in a lot of places

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭timbel

Got my letter today. Really annoyed. As said by others, no competetion in my estate - only Panda.

Who are the other licenced providers in Fingal?

Should it not be a condition of being granted a licence that all households must be offered a service?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,002 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Where did you hear this? We haven't received anything from Panda yet. Those prices are outrageous.

I've rang them periodically for the last few weeks. Yesterday was the first time I got info on the new charges. We're rightly screwed from July 1st.

From Feb this year. KELLY, the lying p****.

However, the department has told TheJournal.ie that minimum charges will be in place, and work out as follows:
    Recycling / Green Bin – 2 cents a kilo
    Food waste / brown bin – 6 cents a kilo
    Residual waste / black bin – 11 cents a kilo
    On the potential benefit that the change could bring, Minister Kelly went on to say:
    “The message is, the more you put into your green and brown bins, the less you pay. It’s better for the environment and the more we can use waste as a resource for energy, remake plastic materials and develop an effective and efficient waste sector.”

What really pisses me off is having to pay for the brown bin. The councils use this as a free source of compost for themselves or they sell it at a profit. And now we'll have to pay for the privilege of giving them the materials to do this. It just doesn't make any sense. When Alan Kelly brought in the minimum charges he completely failed to take into account that many companies would use it as an opportunity to make a quick buck. His incompetence knows no bounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Zaph wrote: »
    What really pisses me off is having to pay for the brown bin. The councils use this as a free source of compost for themselves or they sell it at a profit. And now we'll have to pay for the privilege of giving them the materials to do this. It just doesn't make any sense. When Alan Kelly brought in the minimum charges he completely failed to take into account that many companies would use it as an opportunity to make a quick buck. His incompetence knows no bounds.

Agreed, doesn't make sense to set a minimum charge, were they afraid commercial and private companies were going to start collecting waste for free? Surely they should have set maximum charges to help prevent individuals/families from being gouged and encourage those same individuals/families to disposing of their waste in a responsible manner and limit the amount of illegal dumping that's so rampant around the country.

On the point of lift by weight, how does Panda actually weigh the bins and how accurate/calibrated are the lifting devices on lorries? Also how does it account for the different weights of an empty 120 litre bin from that of a 240 litre bin?

Agreed, doesn't make sense to set a minimum charge, were they afraid commercial and private companies were going to start collecting waste for free? Surely they should have set maximum charges to help prevent individuals/families from being gouged and encourage those same individuals/families to disposing of their waste in a responsible manner and limit the amount of illegal dumping that's so rampant around the country.

On the point of lift by weight, how does Panda actually weigh the bins and how accurate/calibrated are the lifting devices on lorries? Also how does it account for the different weights of an empty 120 litre bin from that of a 240 litre bin?

By my rough calculations, they are basing their new pricing structure on just over 20kg. If you stick to that weight, then you'll paying pretty much the same as you are on the current system. Go over, and you're screwed. *Brown bin obviously excluded but we rarely use that anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

20kg for a black bin?

Here's out history going back to January of 2015, never had anywhere near 20kg. In fairness, it coincides with a new kid so most of that weight is all nappies. He'll be put on a toilet training crash course now.
    33 kg
    41 kg
    48 kg
    50 kg
    52 kg
    70 kg
    58 kg
    55 kg
    60 kg
    59 kg
    49 kg

ThisRegard wrote: »
    20kg for a black bin?

Here's out history going back to January of 2015, never had anywhere near 20kg. In fairness, it coincides with a new kid so most of that weight is all nappies. He'll be put on a toilet training crash course now.
    33 kg
    41 kg
    48 kg
    50 kg
    52 kg
    70 kg
    58 kg
    55 kg
    60 kg
    59 kg
    49 kg

I know, 20kgs will never happen:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Never 20kg here either & with a large child with special needs - adult size nappies, it is going to cost me a fortune

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 714 ✭✭✭PlainP

How are you all weighing your bins? I've paid the full €110 at the start of the year. Just paying for lifts now.

Will have to email them to see if I'm owed any money!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

The weights were on the Panda website when we logged in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 714 ✭✭✭PlainP

The weights were on the Panda website when we logged in.

Ah grand, will check this out when I'm at home. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Panda new pricing structure from 1 July:

Yearly service charge up from €110 to €118. Again payable yearly or 6monthly.

Now for the good bit:

Still haven't got any correspondence from Panda on above charges and their website is a shambles with the most important information (price) conveniently omitted.
    How they hell are they charging a per lift charge for the brown bin as well as a price per kilo while at the same time increasing the service charge. The service charge was always the cost of the green and brown bin lifts but now you're paying on the tripple for the brown bin in particular. This is a total and utter shambles resulting from government intervention.
    Has anyone been in contact with Panda complaining or has any explanation been offered?

One things for certain; i'd hate to be working at the coalface in any of the recycling plants after July 1st. You can bet you ass that everything will be now lumped into the greens.

While this thread is specifically about bin charges in D15, for those who aren't aware of it we've a new Recycling & Domestic Waste Disposal forum for anyone who wants to discuss the wider issues surrounding the new waste charges, or anything else related to the topic.

Just done a quick comparison for my place - 2 adults, 2 teenagers. Me working FT, wife working approx 25-30hrs per week. Eldest in college, youngest in 5th year (Just to give indication of people/time in house). I'm sure this would be a normal enough situation.

Under Panda current structure, and looking at the first 6mths of the year, the following apply to me:

11 lifts of black bin @ €9.05 per lift = €99.50

Under new structure, lifts/weights/costs as follows - rounded to nearest 50c:

1. 19kg €8
    2. 44kg €15
    3. 36kg €13
    4. 54kg €18
    5. 43kg €15
    6. 27kg €10.50
    7. 31kg €11.50
    8. 29kg €11
    9. 30kg 411
    10 34kg €12.50
    11 31kg €11.50

Total: €137 (increase of 37%)

During this time-frame, the brown has been lifted 3 times totaling 51kg. This increases the €137 to €152. So basically, a 50% increase (excluding the increase in the annual charge) if we continue with current waste patterns with Panda.

Thank you for your accurate projections Mr. Kelly.
    Spanner.

EDIT: Apologies folks, another call to a Panda CSA (trying to negotiate a discount) has informed me that the yearly charge will be REDUCING from €110 to €86.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭RichardoKhan

Just run the numbers & the reward for reasonably good re cycling habits additional 17 euros when compared to last years figures. Never mind the imminent arrival of our newborn home......Cheers to all concerned on another Gouge again........

EDIT: Apologies folks, another call to a Panda CSA (trying to negotiate a discount) has informed me that the yearly charge will be REDUCING from €110 to €86.

That changes things for us anyway. With the standing charge being €86 and not €118, we might end up paying around the same or even slightly less.

Our black bin is usually around the 20kg mark (and it only goes out 4 times a year or so) so there should be no change there.

With a drop in the standing charge of €24, we could put out the brown bin weighing 15kg around 5 times a year before we'd use up the €24. At the moment we only empty the small brown bin once a week so it's unlikely we'd be putting the bin out for collection 5 times a year. Might get smelly though!

Alan Kelly's still a tool though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭dereks

Still no correspondence from Panda but if the prices are accurate our bin prices are going through the roof. We use brown and the green bin already and our black bin is never under 40kg.

Advertisement