Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leave Pure food Pasta

Options
  • 03-02-2016 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

Bought this the other week in Super Value in Meath...
    Haven't tried it yet.. curious to see what others make of it..
    It's dear enough, a little over €2 I think but high protein and good ingredients.

http://www.leavespurefood.com/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I heard the owners on Newstalk a few weeks ago and completely forgot their name.

Will keep an eye out.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭rustyzip

Ya,
    It's a lot cheaper to buy in bulk or in bags from health stores or amazon (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Orgran-Buckwheat-Spirals-250g/dp/B004ARAU5E/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1454502359&sr=8-2-fkmr2&keywords=buckwheat+chickpea+pasta) but it's nice to support Irish I suppose.
    One thing I noted is their lack of bags.. you have to buy single portions.. which means a lot of waste..the bags, the boxes etc, which of course can be recycled but I prefer buying in bulk :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 NicoLeaves

Hi rustyzip and HardCopy, first of all thank you so much for considering our pasta :) We are a young startup and any feedback is great! I am sorry if I am replying to this thread only now, I hope I can still be of help.

We completely understand your point about the price, it is our job to make sure the value of our product is crystal clear, and we are still on a learning curve to excel at this. So my apologies if our website and/or packaging don't convey the full message better...we are definitely working hard on it!
    For this reason I'd like to add here a little more information that might be of use when deciding if our #PastaMagic is for you and if it is worth the price.

First and foremost, our product is healthy and constitutes a full meal in itself, ready in just 5 minutes.
    Looking at the protein for example, our pasta contains almost 17g per serving when Orgran (I take this brand as a reference because it has been mentioned within this thread) only offers 7g (11 per 100g). This is even less than what you can find in high quality wheat-pasta.

Why? Orgran buckwheat pasta is in reality made 20% from rice flour, when Leaves only use 100% high quality buckwheat and chickpea.

Another big difference is the process used: because we gently slow dry our pasta, all the micronutrients all preserved. This doesn't happen with mass production techniques, where the pasta is dried in just 1 or 2 hours at very high temperature. This destroy a lot of nutrients and causes the protein to "shrink" making then longer to cook (a cooking time of over 9 minutes, as opposed to around five minutes) and harder to digest (one of the reason why pasta often causes bloating and feeling of heaviness).

In order to get the same nutrients from a competing pasta, you would have to buy some protein (say for example chicken or salmon), prepare it, cook it and clean everything. This ends up costing more time and money than Leaves #PastaMagic.

The matter of taste of course is subjective and I'm sure everyone will have their own preferences. We worked very hard with an experienced Italian pasta master to achieve a unique rich and fulfilling taste and "al dente" texture. In our experience, many free from pastas available end up either being very chewy and tasteless or break down in a mush.
    I say this as I experienced it first hand: I am Italian and used to eat a lot of pasta, when I got wheat-intolerant I was shocked to discover than there was NO alternative on the market that would offer some sort of nutritional benefits and would taste good. That's how Leaves' pasta adventure started, in a nutshell :)

Because we provide a high quality and flavourful option which is healthier, more complete and convenient than many competing products, we like to believe the that €2 per meal (or €1.50 when bought in bulk on our website) is a reasonable price. I can guarantee that the price is driven by the high costs involved in making the pasta the way we make it, with artisan process instead of mass production, and 100% high quality ingredients.

On the pack size, I would like to add that we agree 100% with you, and we have a bigger pack size option ready to launch before the end of the year.
    You may not believe it, but we started with 100g packages exactly to reduce waste: when we discovered that the vast majority of people doesn't really know how much pasta to cook from a bag, we came up with the idea of helping with portion control in order to reduce food wastage (or excessive eating). That's why we only use recyclable materials for our products.

I'll conclude just thanking you if you read this far, as stated at the beginning it is absolutely fantastic to have the chance to get people's feedback on our thoughts and products. I intervened in the discussion with the only objective of trying to add potentially useful information and opening up what Leaves' thoughts and beliefs are, and what we dream to accomplish.

Said that, these are only our opinions, and we value and respect all positions, including the ones that are not aligned with ours. Again, thank you for considering our pasta, it means a lot to us! And if you will ever try it, it would be fantastic to hear how you liked it and how you prepared it.

Thanks for the opportunity and sorry if my message ended up being so long!!

Nico

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,312 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

NicoLeaves, as you are posting on behalf of a company I have to ask you to refrain from posting any further until you have obtained a verified rep account from the guys in the office. They can be contacted at reps@boards.ie and I have made them aware that they should be hearing from you.

Please note that further posts without having first obtained a verified rep account will result in a siteban.

Advertisement