Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone commuting from Galway to Limerick?

Options
  • 01-02-2016 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi,

I'm considering commuting from Galway to Limerick. Anybody currently doing this who could shed light as to how sustainable it is? I work half days so need to be in Limerick for 8 and can be on the road for half 2 again. I'd be driving so I know that journey currently takes an hour and ten one way.
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Is your journey time of 1:10 taking into account the traffic conditions when you will be leaving in the morning and arriving in limerick?

Id suggest you do a test run at the appropriate times.
    Work out the exact time, fuel cost, fuel cost including a potential price rise of 30%, maintenance cost due to extra millage and extra depreciation of your cars value due to extra millage.

Get those numbers down on paper and then you will see if its sustainable against your income from a half days work.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

If you're in Galway city - by train Ceannt-Colbert, Adult Monthly €415.00
    http://www.irishrail.ie/fares-and-tickets/western-rail-corridor

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

biko wrote: »
    If you're in Galway city - by train Ceannt-Colbert, Adult Monthly €415.00
    http://www.irishrail.ie/fares-and-tickets/western-rail-corridor

The problem with this option is that you can get the 6:20am train, which gets in at 8:25am. Or there's one at 7:30am, which will get you there at 11:13am - including three changes.

Rail corridors are SFA use if there's not the population for there to be enough passengers to justify frequent services.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

The problem with this option is that you can get the 6:20am train, which gets in at 8:25am. Or there's one at 7:30am, which will get you there at 11:13am - including three changes.

Rail corridors are SFA use if there's not the population for there to be enough passengers to justify frequent services.

I don't understand why they even bother putting the Galway to Limerick via Portrlington services as options. Who in their right mind would bother?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I don't understand why they even bother putting the Galway to Limerick via Portrlington services as options. Who in their right mind would bother?

Old people going for a day excursion on their Free Travel Pass.

I kid you not.

• Advertisement
Advertisement