Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toys R Us closed down.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,076 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I literally never noticed it being there the entire time it was open, nor was I aware of advertising for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Never went in since it opened, and I only remarked last week when I was over at the centre that I see it's still open, so I'm not surprised to see it close.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Why oh why would they launch with no website?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

January wrote: »
    http://m.independent.ie/business/jobs/toysrus-shuts-in-ireland-after-six-months-34419226.html

Didn't last long. I thought it was good if a bit expensive. Had some different stuff to Smyths.

Was just about to post asking if it was gone as I passed it tonight and it was in darkness.

Very sad for the staff. It's strange because I've driven over the border to their stores for the previous two years and with petrol costs saved money against Smyths but i tried to buy Christmas presents from Blanch this year and they were way above Smyths prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Not surprised really, more expensive than Smyths, piss poor website and no catalogues.
    Had a great selection of playdoh but poor otherwise, no Blaze and the Monster machines which both Smyths and Argos carried and are amongst the most in demand toys at the moment.

• Advertisement

Didn't waste much time in taking the signs down

image_zpsrqyq4bah.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I assumed it was only opened to cash in on Xmas. The prices were more expensive than everywhere else. It had very small amount of things that were different to its competitors.

"sruggled to compete with big players"...never even tried IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I assumed it was there to cash in on Xmas.

Why would anyone shop there, it was more expensive for almost the exact same products.

I'm completely baffled what was the point of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Whoa that's crazy. I assumed it had the backing of the large (American? ??) parent Co. But obviously not.

I'm actually shocked.

They originally had plans to open 5 stores in the Republic, the guy who took the franchise was the ex chief operations guy from Smyths, so I'm surprised to see its demise so quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭ozmo

ahhh- it wasnt so bad - we got a few things there.

Wasn't as good as ToysRus up north though.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

€90 for FIFA 16

It never stood a chance, prices were off the wall.

Advertisement