Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick City GE 2016 Candidate videos

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

panda100 wrote: »
    Because there are two very different types of people that would say no to that question. Those that , as I said, are vehemently anti-choice and against abortion in all circumstances, and those, like me, that are pro-choice and in favour of abortion in all situations, not just rape/incest.

Meanwhile in Limerick county.......

https://youtu.be/BV1lla0301w

Where is a facepalm smilie when you need one.

Cringeworthy stuff indeed! Can we not rename County Limerick to something else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

Because there are two very different types of people that would say no to that question. Those that , as I said, are vehemently anti-choice and against abortion in all circumstances, and those, like me, that are pro-choice and in favour of abortion in all situations, not just rape/incest.

Indeed you are right , I was looking at it too simplistically .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Sweet Jesus that O'Donoghue song. That will definitely go viral anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

jonski wrote: »
    So if there was someone on there I really didn't want my transfer to go to I should leave them off completely ?

As has been said, you're actually best to put them down as far as you can, if you leave them off then your vote could be cast aside and another 1 (for them) chosen. There is a train of thought that in PR voting systems that you're better off starting at the bottom and working your way up to first in the voting. If you're interested in how it works and you're bored I'd recommend looking at some past elections and see how the transfers have gone in the past. For example, when you have an extremely popular candidate like Willie O'Dea he would be expected to "bring others with him", in 2007 he got well more than needed in the first count (~11k), in a perfect world he would have given all his "spare" (second choices) votes to another FF candidate who in turn would give their "spare" (third choices) to the other candidate. As it turned out only ~70% of his second choices went to FF candidates.

Elections are fascinating in my opinion, Limerick East has always been a great example of how local politics (in the guise of Willie O'Dea) doesn't always transfer to party politics.

I'm even more confused by the elections the closer it gets. Not one party to me is coming across as capable of running a country. It's all finger pointing and empty promises. I'd prefer if they had the balls to come straight out and say we need to stick together and come out with the best solutions all round and not continuously shout each other down and knock every idea the opposite party comes up with.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Jofspring wrote: »
    I'd prefer if they had the balls to come straight out and say we need to stick together and come out with the best solutions all round and not continuously shout each other down and knock every idea the opposite party comes up with.

Yeah that annoys me a lot as well about politicians too. I find the debates a waste of time as there just shouting matches of buzz-words, meaningless retorts and empty promises. I would disagree with others on this thread in relation to preferences. There is only one person in limerick county that I would vote for (James Heffernan). The rest are so far removed from my own beliefs and values I wouldn't vote for them in a million years. I don't want my vote transferring to them in any shape or form.

I would disagree with others on this thread in relation to preferences. There is only one person in limerick county that I would vote for (James Heffernan). The rest are so far removed from my own beliefs and values I wouldn't vote for them in a million years. I don't want my vote transferring to them in any shape or form.

Let's say there's three candidates vying for the final seat in the constituency -Nelson Mandela, Enda Kenny and Joseph Stalin.

Of the three, Mandela has the lowest number of votes, so he is eliminated. Now it's going to be either Enda Kenny or Joseph Stalin who will win the seat. It's Mandela's second preference votes that will determine the outcome. Both of those may be very far removed from my values, but bad and all as Kenny is, I'd still rather have him than Joseph Stalin. That's why you should vote for all candidates in order of preference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭power101

Jofspring wrote: »
    I'm even more confused by the elections the closer it gets. Not one party to me is coming across as capable of running a country. It's all finger pointing and empty promises. I'd prefer if they had the balls to come straight out and say we need to stick together and come out with the best solutions all round and not continuously shout each other down and knock every idea the opposite party comes up with.

Social Democrats seem to be the only ones not trying to buy votes or making false promises.

power101 wrote: »
    Social Democrats seem to be the only ones not trying to buy votes or making false promises.

Don't know about that. They're promising an Irish NHS. Sounds like a pretty bold promise to me.

zulutango wrote: »
    Let's say there's three candidates vying for the final seat in the constituency -Nelson Mandela, Enda Kenny and Joseph Stalin.

Of the three, Mandela has the lowest number of votes, so he is eliminated. Now it's going to be either Enda Kenny or Joseph Stalin who will win the seat. It's Mandela's second preference votes that will determine the outcome. Both of those may be very far removed from my values, but bad and all as Kenny is, I'd still rather have him than Joseph Stalin. That's why you should vote for all candidates in order of preference.

It works if you have a slight preference for candidates. To me, Patrick O'Donovan, Emmett O'Brien, Richard O'Donoghue, Niall Collins etc are ALL Joseph Stalin. There is not one of them I would prefer over the other. If I gave them preferences then if my first vote gets eliminated there is a real possibility that I could help elect someone that I really do not want to elect.

Anyways, its a step up for me even giving a first preference to someone in limerick county. I have spoiled my vote in the last two GE.

• Advertisement

It works if you have a slight preference for candidates. To me, Patrick O'Donovan, Emmett O'Brien, Richard O'Donoghue, Niall Collins etc are ALL Joseph Stalin. There is not one of them I would prefer over the other. If I gave them preferences then if my first vote gets eliminated there is a real possibility that I could help elect someone that I really do not want to elect.

Anyways, its a step up for me even giving a first preference to someone in limerick county. I have spoiled my vote in the last two GE.

The more effective strategy is to use your lower preferences to prevent the worst getting in. By giving somebody a sixth preference in a field of six candidates you're actually harming their chances, which is what you want, right? Admittedly, in Limerick County it's very hard to figure out who is the worst of a terrible lot.

There's a Green candidate there, by the way. Don't know much about him, but the Green policies are very good, in my opinion.

There's a Green candidate there, by the way. Don't know much about him, but the Green policies are very good, in my opinion.

Rightly or wrongly I was put off the Greens with their carbon tax on coal, putting the price of it up at the time of the recession when the poorest people use it to heat their homes . ( I am open to correction on this, as I get older I forget more than I remember ) . I understand the whole global warming crisis but it has to be tempered with not hitting the poorest in society at the worst time .

The above lead me to question a lot of their policies .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

I'm surprised to see a touch of bad sentiment for Emmett O'Brien. I met the guy and I found him very well clued in. He has a good grasp of issues. More importantly, I found the man solid in his take on addressing issues. Practical and viable solutions. I have no doubt he'd be a good man at getting people on board and influencing results. He's certainly credible, and a man of integrity and capability.

Forget about the general hoo-ha and disdain with politicians we all have, I know to an extent we're all worn out, but this guy is on the ball. I think he's a serious contender and a fantastic leader for his community, he has got a lot of people engaged and he is an honest guy.

He certainly didn't f#ck off out of the country when things got bad like Tom Neville. He stood by his community and sought to advance issues for people, individually and collectively.

myshirt wrote:
    He certainly didn't f#ck off out of the country when things got bad like Tom Neville. He stood by his community and sought to advance issues for people, individually and collectively.

Couldn't disagree more with that. He personifies political careerism at its worse. Despite being completely aligned with their beliefs and policies, he left fianna fail at a time when it was a political savy move to make. He is fianna fail through and through but is masquerading as an 'independent'. I have found him to be very arrogant and dismissive in his response to individual issues.

How exactly did he stand by his community when things got bad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

How exactly did he stand by his community when things got bad?

He did. He just didn't blow his trumpet about it. And I'm not going to blow the trumpet on his behalf either.

Linda Ledger in the city would be another of the same camp, works very hard for her community, not for the photo op.

Are you any way involved in your own community at all? I actually find it shocking you are not even loosely aware... gaa, soccer, policing, social housing, business development, social infrastructure, the lot. The man done trojan work for a long time in volunteering his skillset and providing leadership at times it was needed... it's no mistake he has a raft of supporters who support his candiacy.

The man is on the ball. I'll vote for him anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭peckerhead

A barrister with 'integrity'? Now I really have heard it all... :pac:

Edit: which is not to say I rate any of the other candidates more highly. But let's be clear —the man only left FF (where admittedly he is the 'wrong fit', to his credit) because they wouldn't give him the second nomination in 2014.

A debate between Sarah Hennelly, Cian Prendeville Willie O'Dea and Micheal Noonan on live 95 ( I think )

http://utv.vo.llnwd.net/o16/LIVE95FM/2016/02/11/CityElectiondebateFeb11.mp3

A debate between Sarah Hennelly, Cian Prendeville Willie O'Dea and Micheal Noonan on live 95 ( I think )

http://utv.vo.llnwd.net/o16/LIVE95FM/2016/02/11/CityElectiondebateFeb11.mp3

myshirt wrote: »
    He did. He just didn't blow his trumpet about it. And I'm not going to blow the trumpet on his behalf either.

Linda Ledger in the city would be another of the same camp, works very hard for her community, not for the photo op.

Are you any way involved in your own community at all? I actually find it shocking you are not even loosely aware... gaa, soccer, policing, social housing, business development, social infrastructure, the lot. The man done trojan work for a long time in volunteering his skillset and providing leadership at times it was needed... it's no mistake he has a raft of supporters who support his candiacy.

The man is on the ball. I'll vote for him anyway.

I think most people in Limerick county agree with you and he will do excellently in this GE. I wouldn't be surprised if he won a seat. He certainly appears to be more popular than Tom Neville from what I've heard.

However, everything you described in relation to him is why I wouldn't vote for him. It points to all the makings of a Parish-Pump politician, they type of politics that has crippled democratic progress in this country. When it comes to national interest and the development of Limerick for the entire county population, i really couldn't care how involved he is in his gaa, soccer club or local community. Anytime I have seen him quizzed on broader, national issues he quotes legal jargon, I just find his constant referral to himself as a barrister quite arrogant.

To be fair, parish pump style politics is not just isolated to Emmett O'Brien, people in Limerick county tend to vote for very parochial reasons. I didn't go to school in Limerick county but from what I know of friends and family here, there must be very poor civic education in schools.

Also, for anyone interested in disability, equality or other social inclusion issues there is an 'Ask your candidate' event taking place this Friday. Facebook event here : http://tinyurl.com/z3k282w or more information available here: http://tinyurl.com/hcy9e2u

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭Jack Killian

jonski wrote: »
    Smartvote says I should be voting Hennelly and the SD but I need to give that more thought as I hadn't even known of her before that .

Smartvote is poor; for example it has a question about "increasing corporation tax" which doesn't differentiate between increasing the "take" by making multinationals pay the 12.5% or actually increasing the 12.5% rate.

I've met and talked to Hennelly; seems streets ahead of the rest of what's on offer, and smartvote puts her as a 44% match to me (with Noonan & O'Donnell at 8%); not great to be so at odds with what's on offer, but factoring in the vagueness of the questions that could be a 50% match and that'll have to do, given that there are no other options that I can stomach.

There was a last-minute independent entry but I know nothing about him - a lecturer from LIT I think ? So I might have a #2 - will have to suss him out between now and Friday.

• Advertisement

Smartvote is poor; for example it has a question about "increasing corporation tax" which doesn't differentiate between increasing the "take" by making multinationals pay the 12.5% or actually increasing the 12.5% rate.

I've met and talked to Hennelly; seems streets ahead of the rest of what's on offer, and smartvote puts her as a 44% match to me (with Noonan & O'Donnell at 8%); not great to be so at odds with what's on offer, but factoring in the vagueness of the questions that could be a 50% match and that'll have to do, given that there are no other options that I can stomach.

There was a last-minute independent entry but I know nothing about him - a lecturer from LIT I think ? So I might have a #2 - will have to suss him out between now and Friday.

She was a 42% for me and she canvassed my area tonight , didn't get to meet her though . I passed on my concerns and the one specific question I had ( about e-cigarettes which will only be of interest to a small few ) to one of her people and he said he would get her to e-mail me .

jonski wrote:
    She was a 42% for me and she canvassed my area tonight , didn't get to meet her though . I passed on my concerns and the one specific question I had ( about e-cigarettes which will only be of interest to a small few ) to one of her people and he said he would get her to e-mail me .

When it comes to election issues, I have to admit this is the first time I've heared of e-cigarettes being an issue! :) I am intrigued, what was your questions in relation to them?

When it comes to election issues, I have to admit this is the first time I've heared of e-cigarettes being an issue! :) I am intrigued, what was your questions in relation to them?

Like I said, it won't be of interest to many but I wanted to know if the SD's had any policy on them or if she had any opinion herself on e-cigarettes and their use . There is new European legislation coming in in May and I wanted to make her aware of it as I did with any other candidate that knocked on my door .

Hennelly contradicted herself three times in the Limerick Post questions and answers section last week when talking about medical cards for older people. To do that in a prepared answer is pretty bad. I see her as being full on confidence and rhetoric but little in the way of substance, apart from a few issues such as abortion rights and mental health. I'm not even voting for Jan O'Sullivan, but I'd see Jan as way more sincere than her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭Jack Killian

Hennelly contradicted herself three times in the Limerick Post questions and answers section last week when talking about medical cards for older people. To do that in a prepared answer is pretty bad. I see her as being full on confidence and rhetoric but little in the way of substance, apart from a few issues such as abortion rights and mental health. I'm not even voting for Jan O'Sullivan, but I'd see Jan as way more sincere than her.

Have that here in the kitchen - must have a look to see if there's a contradiction in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

What has Willie O'Dea ever achieved in office? I can't wait for the next general election when the likes of him, Noonan and Jan O'Sullivan are gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭TPMP

Absolutely no idea who to vote for. There's nobody out of that lot that stands out.

TPMP wrote: »
    Absolutely no idea who to vote for. There's nobody out of that lot that stands out.

Feel the exact same to be honest. The main parties have done more in the last few weeks to put me off them than anything else and none of the smaller parties or independents have shown anything to swing me towards them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Red King wrote: »
    What has Willie O'Dea ever achieved in office? I can't wait for the next general election when the likes of him, Noonan and Jan O'Sullivan are gone.

The next election could be 2-3 months down the line. They'll all still be there....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

The more I look at the Irish Independent the more inclined I am to vote for Quinlivan!

Advertisement