Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick City GE 2016 Candidate videos

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Jofspring wrote: »
    Feel the exact same to be honest. The main parties have done more in the last few weeks to put me off them than anything else and none of the smaller parties or independents have shown anything to swing me towards them.

uuhmm ... James Gaffney of the Greens?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭power101

Feel the exact same to be honest. The main parties have done more in the last few weeks to put me off them than anything else and none of the smaller parties or independents have shown anything to swing me towards them.

Sarah Jane Hennelly of the Social Democrats?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭Jofspring

zulutango wrote: »
    uuhmm ... James Gaffney of the Greens?
    power101 wrote: »
    Sarah Jane Hennelly of the Social Democrats?

I'm actually going to a have a bit more of a look at them this evening and make a decision. Haven't seen enough about them to be honest but they both came up high in the smarter vote website for myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,924 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

I'm actually going to a have a bit more of a look at them this evening and make a decision. Haven't seen enough about them to be honest but they both came up high in the smarter vote website for myself.

What about Maurice Quinlivan? I know Sinn Fein isn't everyone's cup of tea but for the city of Limerick I believe he could do good things and bring fresh ideas.

What about Maurice Quinlivan? I know Sinn Fein isn't everyone's cup of tea but for the city of Limerick I believe he could do good things and bring fresh ideas.

Nah from what I've heard from Quinlivan he wouldn't be my cup at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

To make your life a bit easier, here's his website which has a very good Limerick specific manifesto and a lot of other info too.

http://jamesgaffney.net/

Nah from what I've heard from Quinlivan he wouldn't be my cup at all.

Him personally or the party as a whole?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

A bit of political pragmatism, at the moment Limerick has two Cabinet Ministers at the Cabinet table, Jan O'Sullivan of Labour and Michael Noonan of Fine Gael, it has a former Cabinet Minister in Willie O'Dea of Fianna Fail.
    If any of these three are returned to the Dail there is a fair chance they will retain/regain a cabinet position, on the other hand none of the other candidates can aspire to anything more than the back bench's, either government or opposition, but definitely back bench's.
    Government Ministers can deliver, back benchers can't, so the choice facing voters in Limerick is, do we want two Ministers in Cabinet or a selection of back benchers.

I wouldn't feel too strongly about it but I suppose mainly because of the party as I don't know him personally to talk to so can't really say it's for that reason. Just over the years his party and politics have never really appealed to me. Maybe I'm missing out on something? Either way just not for me.

I'd spread that across a lot of parties and politicians too to be honest. Always this feeling they are just telling you what you want to hear and who every shouts the loudest about what the people want to hear rather than be realistic become the most popular. Trying to figure out the who he genuine people are and who the spoofers are is always going to be the hardest part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭Jack Killian

Both. He's lied-by-omission to my face without blinking.

• Advertisement

jbkenn wrote: »
    A bit of political pragmatism, at the moment Limerick has two Cabinet Ministers at the Cabinet table, Jan O'Sullivan of Labour and Michael Noonan of Fine Gael, it has a former Cabinet Minister in Willie O'Dea of Fianna Fail.
    If any of these three are returned to the Dail there is a fair chance they will retain/regain a cabinet position, on the other hand none of the other candidates can aspire to anything more than the back bench's, either government or opposition, but definitely back bench's.
    Government Ministers can deliver, back benchers can't, so the choice facing voters in Limerick is, do we want two Ministers in Cabinet or a selection of back benchers.

Given what Noonan has done (and not done) in the last 5 years I'd prefer to have no Limerick minister than have him anywhere near power.

Hennelly contradicted herself three times in the Limerick Post questions and answers section last week when talking about medical cards for older people. To do that in a prepared answer is pretty bad. I see her as being full on confidence and rhetoric but little in the way of substance, apart from a few issues such as abortion rights and mental health. I'm not even voting for Jan O'Sullivan, but I'd see Jan as way more sincere than her.

Following up on this one. I read the article and saw no contradictions. Open to being corrected it someone wants to point them out rather than just throwing out a line like that, but I can 100% truthfully state that on 3 readings I didn't see any contradiction.

Given what Noonan has done (and not done) in the last 5 years I'd prefer to have no Limerick minister than have him anywhere near power.
    Roll on the back bencher's so, see what they will be able to/not do over the next 5 years.

Roll on the back bencher's so, see what they will be able to/not do over the next 5 years.

Unsew their pockets and find Siteserv discount reports before they fall down the back of the sofa ?

Unsew their pockets and find Siteserv discount reports before they fall down the back of the sofa ?
    Sorry, you lost me there, haven't a clue what you are on about.

Sorry, you lost me there, haven't a clue what you are on about.

Neither - supposedly - did Noonan until Catherine Murphy exposed the truth.

Neither - supposedly - did Noonan until Catherine Murphy exposed the truth.
    Googled it, got you now, now, how exactly does this impact on the constituency of Limerick?, will it bring investment, jobs, solve the healthcare issue's, homelessness and a myriad of other issue's we face

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

" sew up their pockets ", I'd sooner not be represented at all than be represented by someone so arrogant and disconnected .

Googled it, got you now, now, how exactly does this impact on the constituency of Limerick?, will it bring investment, jobs, solve the healthcare issue's, homelessness and a myriad of other issue's we face

All those issues despite having had said ministers for the last 5 years ?

[ sticks on Alanis Morissette CD at full volume ]

I wouldn't feel too strongly about it but I suppose mainly because of the party as I don't know him personally to talk to so can't really say it's for that reason. Just over the years his party and politics have never really appealed to me. Maybe I'm missing out on something? Either way just not for me.

I'd spread that across a lot of parties and politicians too to be honest. Always this feeling they are just telling you what you want to hear and who every shouts the loudest about what the people want to hear rather than be realistic become the most popular. Trying to figure out the who he genuine people are and who the spoofers are is always going to be the hardest part.

I know what you mean, the party as a whole wouldn't be everyones cup of tea and even myself ain't a big fan of the party. My own preference for this election basically is based on those who have knocked on my door and taken their time to have a chat and out of the eleven who are running in the election, six of them eleven are from my own local constituency I think, not a 100percent sure if Kieran O'Donnell is in the Limerick North area and only two have called to my house.

How does everyone think the election could go? Will it be sorted this weekend or we gonna see a second election sometime during the summer.

• Advertisement

All those issues despite having had said ministers for the last 5 years ?

[ sticks on Alanis Morissette CD at full volume ]

Lost again, those issues would have been about regardless who was in government, would any backbencher have been able to handle it any differently

Lost again those issues would have been about regardless who was in government, would any backbencher have been able to handle it any differently

What did you base that assertion on ?

You're the one who claimed that having a minister for Limerick is beneficial, and now you're saying it makes no difference ?

What did you base that assertion on ?
    Simple, we are bankrupt, we owe, according to the world debt clock €206.5 Billion, http://www.nationaldebtclocks.org/debtclock/ireland
    no amount of wishful thinking will change that fact

Simple, we are bankrupt, we owe, according to the world debt clock €206.5 Billion, http://www.nationaldebtclocks.org/debtclock/ireland
    no amount of wishful thinking will change that fact

€30 billion + interest of which isn't our debt

€30 billion + interest of which isn't our debt
    Agree 100%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

We get the politicians we deserve, alas.

We sure do. EG you are voting for James Gaffney who has zero chance of being elected whereas I am voting for Willie O'Dea who is a certainty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

"Voting for Willie O'Dea"

That it is an option, let alone given consideration, illustrates everything that is rotten in Irish politics.

The man is a disgrace to Limerick

Red King wrote: »

That it is an option, let alone given consideration, illustrates everything that is rotten in Irish politics.

+1

Limerick Post had an article re him wanting resources for those with poor mental health; I couldn't help reading it and wondering if it was him quite literally looking after those who vote for him.

We sure do. EG you are voting for James Gaffney who has zero chance of being elected whereas I am voting for Willie O'Dea who is a certainty.

Cause and effect failure / self fulfilling prophesy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Red King wrote: »

Steady on Maurice!

Advertisement