Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick City GE 2016 Candidate videos

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

Steady on Maurice!

Ahh you mean the man O'Dea libelled whilst in office leading to his resignation in disgrace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

We sure do. EG you are voting for James Gaffney who has zero chance of being elected whereas I am voting for Willie O'Dea who is a certainty.

You don't seem to understand how our voting system works :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Red King wrote: »
    Ahh you mean the man O'Dea libelled whilst in office leading to his resignation in disgrace.

Oh yeah I remember that. Big mistake by Willie there when he named the wrong brother !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Maurice Quinlivan has a notice up on Facebook about a mistake with where the people of Southill have to go to vote. Being a bit presumptuous that people in Southill all want to vote Sinn Fein if you ask me. Here's the notice for anyone from the area.

"URGENT - SOUTHILL VOTERS - PLEASE SHARE
    We are getting reports of some people being refused voting at Le Cheile School in Southill. They are being told that they are not registered even though their polling cards say to go there. If this happens to you it means your vote is next door at the old Gael Scoil Saoirse Clancy National School. Why are these foul ups only happening in areas where people want to vote for us? Questions need to be asked after the election!"

Oh yeah I remember that. Big mistake by Willie there when he named the wrong brother !

That wasn't his mistake - his mistake was trying to connect either brother to the activities in a rented apartment.

So careful with what you are implying there or you could find yourself in the same boat as your hero.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Jofspring wrote: »
    Maurice Quinlivan has a notice up on Facebook about a mistake with where the people of Southill have to go to vote. Being a bit presumptuous that people in Southill all want to vote Sinn Fein if you ask me. Here's the notice for anyone from the area.

We are getting reports of some people being refused voting at Le Cheile School in Southill. They are being told that they are not registered even though their polling cards say to go there. If this happens to you it means your vote is next door at the old Gael Scoil Saoirse Clancy National School. Why are these foul ups only happening in areas where people want to vote for us? Questions need to be asked after the election!"

The closure of Southhill NS and St Endas has screwed everything up. People in the Kennedy Park/Glasgow Park/ Janesboro area who used to vote in old school have been moved to the new school, while residents of the Old Cork Road who used to vote in St Endas now have to vote in the old school in Roxboro.

"Voting for Willie O'Dea"

That it is an option, let alone given consideration, illustrates everything that is rotten in Irish politics.

The man is a disgrace to Limerick

Whatever your opinion on the man he's basically a super councillor who gets things done when you ask him. While he may not have done much for the constituency as a whole, he's gotten things done for thousands of voters over the years and will walk back into the Dail.

While Willie is off attending funerals and getting potholes fixed other politicians are bringing investment projects and jobs to their area.

Then the people of Limerick wonder why we are an unemployment blackspot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I voted for James Heffernan of the Social Democrats in Limerick county in the end. I was the only one in the polling station in Rathkeale at lunchtime! The officers said that it's been very slow so far but they are expecting it to pick up after 5pm.

Its very difficult to call in the county I think so looking forward to how the count develops tomorrow.

That wasn't his mistake - his mistake was trying to connect either brother to the activities in a rented apartment.

So careful with what you are implying there or you could find yourself in the same boat as your hero.

Remind me again, what were the 'activities' as you put it that were taking place ?

• Advertisement

Remind me again, what were the 'activities' as you put it that were taking place in that apartment?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,924 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Think his biggest mistake was lying under sworn affidavit about it even though the interview was being recored. He got my number 11 anyway, fingers crossed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Jofspring wrote: »

It is presumptuous, but the socio-economic demographic of area would point to SF support typically

It is presumptuous, but the socio-economic demographic of area would point to SF support typically

He has strong support in the regeneration areas on the north side so I'd presume he'd possibly have strong support in the regeneration areas on the southside too.

I'd probably agree with you to be honest, it will be where a lot of support will come from. Could have put it a bit better though.

Remind me again, what were the 'activities' as you put it that were taking place ?

Here you go, you can read all about it here:

http://bfy.tw/4T0v

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭Jack Killian

He has strong support in the regeneration areas on the north side so I'd presume he'd possibly have strong support in the regeneration areas on the southside too.

More to the point is the converse - there were hardly any posters for FG in the area, so it would appear that Noonan & O'Donnell have no interest in their vote or representing them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

Question - Not sure if I understood Stephen Donnelly correctly , I thought in one of his interviews he said that even if you don't think the SD candidate in your area will be elected if you give them your first preference it benefits the SD party as a whole ?

jonski wrote:
    Question - Not sure if I understood Stephen Donnelly correctly , I thought in one of his interviews he said that even if you don't think the SD candidate in your area will be elected if you give them your first preference it benefits the SD party as a whole ?

Yes. If they get 2% of the national vote they will qualify for State funding. This is a big deal for a small party and it's one of the reasons I'm giving my first preference to the Greens.

Your vote will transfer to your second preference when your first preference is eliminated. So by doing this you really maximise the value of your vote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

Think his biggest mistake was lying under sworn affidavit about it even though the interview was being recored. He got my number 11 anyway, fingers crossed.

Number 12 here, fingers and toes crossed

• Advertisement

Very early tallies, so major health warning, but Willie O'Dea in the City and Naill Collins in the county looking to romp home. If correct they made a major error not running a second candidate in each constituency.

Very early tallies, so major health warning, but Willie O'Dea in the City and Naill Collins in the county looking to romp home. If correct they made a major error not running a second candidate in each constituency.

Have the boxes been opened?

zulutango wrote: »
    Have the boxes been opened?

Opened at 9am. Here the tally after 25% of boxes opened

CcNr5WYXEAAsNDn.jpg

Limerick Leader ‏@Limerick_Leader 1m1 minute ago Limerick, Ireland

Latest tallies from Limerick city with 41% of boxes opened #ge2016 CcN0HX7W0AA35I5.jpg:large

Prendiville is doing well, but at the end of the day I don't think he'll get the transfers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Limerick Leader ‏@Limerick_Leader 1m1 minute ago Limerick, Ireland

Latest tallies from Limerick city with 41% of boxes opened #ge2016 CcN0HX7W0AA35I5.jpg:large

Heffernan is doing well, but at the end of the day I don't think he'll get the transfers.

Who's Heffernan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

What about Maurice Quinlivan? I know Sinn Fein isn't everyone's cup of tea but for the city of Limerick I believe he could do good things and bring fresh ideas.
    I've heard his brother is a gent.

I know Willie O'Dea is liked in Limerick but jesus I didn't think he would be romping away with it like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Your man Desmond Hayes is running again as an Independent.

He was with Renua but then withdrew.
    On Friday a number of his posters were defaced with the words "Tax Defaulter"

Who's Heffernan?

See my edit. I meant Prendiville. Think I was looking at a county tally as I typed.

• Advertisement

I've heard his brother is a gent.

Is his brother running for election?

Advertisement