Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick City GE 2016 Candidate videos

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,924 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Jan possibly sneaking it at the death.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Punkyblip

Jan possibly sneaking it at the death.

I got a funny feeling your right, I'm surprised O Donnell gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Punkyblip wrote: »
    I got a funny feeling your right, I'm surprised O Donnell gone.

The Leader is saying the same:
    As the clock strikes 12, there are three candidates chasing the final two seats, but it is now virtually certain that they will go to Michael Noonan and Jan O'Sullivan. A devastated Kieran O'Donnell has now left the building accompanied by his wife Phil. Politics is a tough game and after looking like he had held on for most of the day, it does not look good now for him

Quinlivan's transfers are being counted now. I imagine if any of the three still in the running are to benefit from them it will be O'Sullivan.

I can't help but wonder how today would have turned out across the country if SF had decided to "rebrand" 10 years ago. Changed their name, dumped Adams and really made a show of distancing themselves from the IRA. I doubt that the majority of their voters give a crap about nationalism, they just want a left wing alternative to Labour. But a huge amount of people who might agree with some of their current policies will never vote for SF because of their historical links to paramilitaries or worry about what an Irish government made up in part of SF will mean for relations with Stormont. They are doing unimaginably better than I could ever have imagined 15 years ago when they had so little presence in the Republic but I can't help but feel that as long as they continue as SF they have plateaued.

iguana wrote: »
    The Leader is saying the same:
    As the clock strikes 12, there are three candidates chasing the final two seats, but it is now virtually certain that they will go to Michael Noonan and Jan O'Sullivan. A devastated Kieran O'Donnell has now left the building accompanied by his wife Phil. Politics is a tough game and after looking like he had held on for most of the day, it does not look good now for him

Quinlivan's transfers are being counted now. I imagine if any of the three still in the running are to benefit from them it will be O'Sullivan.

I can't help but wonder how today would have turned out across the country if SF had decided to "rebrand" 10 years ago. Changed their name, dumped Adams and really made a show of distancing themselves from the IRA. I doubt that the majority of their voters give a crap about nationalism, they just want a left wing alternative to Labour. But a huge amount of people who might agree with some of their current policies will never vote for SF because of their historical links to paramilitaries or worry about what an Irish government made up in part of SF will mean for relations with Stormont. They are doing unimaginably better than I could ever have imagined 15 years ago when they had so little presence in the Republic but I can't help but feel that as long as they continue as SF they have plateaued.

I'd say they'd have done a lot better then what they have achieved over the last ten years. Think most of their support came from the 18 - 24 category who may not come out in force to vote and they also had high numbers among the 25 - 35 but took a big nose dive with the older generation and my grandfather would have been one of those who in his own words " I'd give Maurice my vote a 100 times over if he was with any other party or independent but not once he's involved with that murdering [EMAIL="bast@rd"]bast@rd[/EMAIL]"

Either way I bet we will be back at the polls within 12 months.

• Advertisement

Punkyblip wrote: »
    Either way I bet we will be back at the polls within 12 months.

Will be a lot sooner then that, I'd say we'll be back to the polls again by the summer and possibly a third time depending on how much scare mongering goes on.

Jan takes the fourth seat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭Jack Killian

Jan takes the fourth seat.

Serious wake-up call for the two outgoing ministers when they couldn't even reach the quota!

Serious wake-up call for the two outgoing ministers when they couldn't even reach the quota!

Indeed, especially Noonan who probably thought he'd breeze back in. Think Jan O'Sullivan knew she'd not make the quota and lucky to even retain her seat.

I think that wake up call was obvious to the coalition for a long while, except their egos ignored it. Plus they were so disengaged from the public view that they felt they would be returned to office after offering the usual empty promises during the election campaign. They thought they could get away with blaming all the hardships on the previous FF Government and sell a message that FG saved us from economic hell. Well the public didn't buy it.

And the FF alternative is no better.

We don't know what SF's true colours are till they serve some time in office.

The entire system is broken and will never change. And there is no will to change it amongst those in power as it suits them just fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

If you want to go there, Alan Kelly's brother is into water privatisation.

Water privatisation and membership of a terrorist organisation are totally on the same level. He plotted assassinations, was caught with guns, conspiracy to cause explosions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Water privatisation and membership of a terrorist organisation are totally on the same level. He plotted assassinations, was caught with guns, conspiracy to cause explosions.

Leave it go now please, you probably don't know the first thing about the man you called Scum, it's never that easy. I know a lot of Scum and he doesn't fit the bill. You probably wouldn't say it of Mandela.

Leave it go now please, you probably don't know the first thing about the man you called Scum, it's never that easy. I know a lot of Scum and he doesn't fit the bill. You probably wouldn't say it of Mandela.
    I certainly would. I'll leave it alone, obviously unpopular here to dislike Sinn Fein due to their past connections to the IRA. I suppose the people who murdered Jerry McCabe were also not scum? That nice fella Pearse McCauley, pal of Nessan Quinlivan?

I certainly would. I'll leave it alone, obviously unpopular here to dislike Sinn Fein due to their past connections to the IRA. I suppose the people who murdered Jerry McCabe were also not scum? That nice fella Pearse McCauley, pal of Nessan Quinlivan?

Rubbish, it's unpopular to assume that somebody is responsible for the actions of their brother nearly 30 years ago.
    McAuley has proven himself to be scum outside of his IRA activity. NQ is a hard working family man now to the best of my knowledge, I had kids in school with his and they were being well reared.

Rubbish, it's unpopular to assume that somebody is responsible for the actions of their brother nearly 30 years ago.
    McAuley has proven himself to be scum outside of his IRA activity. NQ is a hard working family man now to the best of my knowledge, I had kids in school with his and they were being well reared.
    It's funny because Sinn Fein did nothing to distance themselves from McAuley. Didn't Ferris and Snodaigh visit him up in prison there a few years back? Posing for An Phoblacht

It's funny because Sinn Fein did nothing to distance themselves from McAuley. Didn't Ferris and Snodaigh visit him up in prison there a few years back? Posing for An Phoblacht

You keep moving the goalposts, this has nothing to do with McAuley, or even Sinn fein, you are practically slandering a candidate in Limerick through his brother, people exist outside of the parties they represent, you haven't discussed anything to do with the election, you're rehashing ancient and irrelevant history to make a petty point.
    Are the people who turn up at Beal ha Blath advocates of terrorism?
    I'm being ridiculous of course but so are you.
    I repeat, I have not and probably never will vote Sinn Fein.

You keep moving the goalposts, this has nothing to do with McAuley, or even Sinn fein, you are practically slandering a candidate in Limerick through his brother, people exist outside of the parties they represent, you haven't discussed anything to do with the election, you're rehashing ancient and irrelevant history to make a petty point.
    Are the people who turn up at Beal ha Blath advocates of terrorism?
    I'm being ridiculous of course but so are you.
    I repeat, I have not and probably never will vote Sinn Fein.

It's not slander if it is true.

It has everything to do with Sinn Fein. He is a Sinn Fein politician!

What I personally didn't like about Maurice was the fact that all negative comments were deleted from his facebook page and all posters who disagreed were banned form posting.

Made me uneasy that they like to silence discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

What I personally didn't like about Maurice was the fact that all negative comments were deleted from his facebook page and all posters who disagreed were banned form posting.

All candidates do that!hardly isolated to SF or Maurice Quinlivan.

I was dissapointed to see Cian Prendiville miss out but happy enough to see Maurice Quinlivan elected. He was one of the few candidates opposed to the military use of Shannon warport and is also in favour of repealing the 8th amdement. Two important issues as far as I'm concerned so happy to see him representing limerick city in the future.

panda100 wrote: »
    All candidates do that!hardly isolated to SF or Maurice Quinlivan.

I was dissapointed to see Cian Prendiville miss out but happy enough to see Maurice Quinlivan elected. He was one of the few candidates opposed to the military use of Shannon warport and is also in favour of repealing the 8th amdement. Two important issues as far as I'm concerned so happy to see him representing limerick city in the future.
    Funny cause I didn't notice it on Renua or FG pages.

Cian Prendiville... I don't understand why anyone would vote for him. Well I do actually. Che Guevara tshirt wearing middle class communist art student types lap it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

McAuley has proven himself to be scum outside of his IRA activity
    Priceless, anyway, the people have spoken, lets see how it pans out over the coming months and years.

• Advertisement

Cian Prendiville... I don't understand why anyone would vote for him. Well I do actually. Che Guevara tshirt wearing middle class communist art student types lap it up.

Well I am neither an art student or the owner of a Che Guevara T-shirt, i doubt all the 6447 people who voted for him are either. I agree with him that current neoliberal policies are the root of inequality in our society and so will always support left leaning candidates :)

panda100 wrote:
    Well I am neither an art student or the owner of a Che Guevara T-shirt, i doubt all the 6447 people who voted for him are either. I agree with him that current neoliberal policies are the root of inequality in our society and so will always support left leaning candidates

So who pays for this altruistic society when no one wants to work.

Ah here, art students, Che Guevara T-shirts, unemployed spongers....is there any other generalisations you can get in there?

I work full time and pay the higher rate of tax which I am quite happy to do. I don't think public money is currently being spent in the best way to benefit the progression of Irish society as a whole. I don't think that will happen while we have a right leaning government that will fundamentally always put profit before people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

Simple, the magic money tree in the Bog of Allen, or failing that, the rich, or failing that, the schmucks who pay the household charge and actually pay for everything.

panda100 wrote:
    I work full time and pay the higher rate of tax which I am quite happy to do. I don't think public money is currently being spent in the best way to benefit the progression of Irish society as a whole. I don't think that will happen while we have a right leaning government that will fundamentally always put profit before people.

Cian isn't centre left he's hard left communist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭Jack Killian

Missing the point. One is not one's brother's keeper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

Nessan Quinlivan is scum. That's for sure. Your opinion is that Maurice is not responsible for his brother being that way? Fair enough. Fact is that the connection between the PIRA and Sinn Fein is as strong as ever.
    It's not slander if it is true.

It has everything to do with Sinn Fein. He is a Sinn Fein politician!

Made me uneasy that they like to silence discussion.

Have you ever met Nessan or Maurice? I know them both. Scum they are not. Nessan would never deny his actions from what, 25 years ago now, these days he is happily married to a lovely woman and they are rearing lovely, well mannered children. They are a credit to them in fact.

As for Maurice? He was studying in college in London when his brother did what he did. Was torn out of bed by the police for questioning. A youngfella studying to better himself. And better himself he did, he is an absolute gentleman and his wife is a real lady.

Here is one for you. Maurice's wife is English. How does that fit your narrative?

Sounds to me like both men have moved on from the past maybe you should take a leaf out of their book. Bitterness will only eat you up. And ranting on boards only leads to embarrassment and in some cases getting sued.

Red King wrote:
    And ranting on boards only leads to embarrassment and in some cases getting sued.
    How exactly would I be embarrassed?

What's your opinion of Pearse McCauley? Nice family man or "psychopathic gun nut"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Soulcrew09

Blue shirt bitterness is the best type :) ...also some result from Prendiville first time round, interesting to see if he can build on that over the next few years.

Advertisement