Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick City GE 2016 Candidate videos

1234568»

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Vanquished wrote: »
    He called to my parents place last week and apparently placed more emphasis on the fact that he was Dan Neville's son more than anything else. I can see why he would take that approach but it also demonstrates all that's wrong with the political system in this country. The cycle just continues with nepotism and succession candidates proving ever popular. Niall Collins is another example of this!

Incidentally Ron Burgundy would be proud of the suit Neville was sporting at the count on Saturday too!

And yet the county, knowing this, voted him in. So who's to blame? Tom Neville or the sheep who will vote FG because "shur they are our party" or "daddy votes for FG and so will I".

Tom is in, let's see how he does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

Basically a local councillor's job and nothing that a TD should be doing.
    golfball37 wrote: »
    And thats exactly what he was at the time.

Beat me to it lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Vanquished

FutureGuy wrote: »
    And yet the county, knowing this, voted him in. So who's to blame? Tom Neville or the sheep who will vote FG because "shur they are our party" or "daddy votes for FG and so will I".

Tom is in, let's see how he does.

You get the politicians you deserve! This is just another illustration of how little thought and consideration the average voter puts in to their decision and how narrow their focus is.

The inexplicable decisions of many to return to the "soldiers of destiny" in this election is a further indication of the ignorance and stupidity of much of the electorate. And yet they wonder why things never change!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭Jofspring

I've had a few people say to me, I can't believe anyone voted for Willie O'Dea and that it's an absolute disgrace and that those people are idiots. They have said people should have voted in Maurice. I said why and their reasoning was that Maurice had done great things for "their" community. I put it to them that maybe people voted for Willie O'Dea because he has done great things for those peoples communities. If the logic is applied to one politician then it's only fair if people apply the same logic to the politician they voted in.

Personally I went with Hennelly for my number one. Didn't think she had a chance really of getting in but she certainly had a good go first time around without much promotion. Liked what I read about the Social Democrates when trying to decide and didn't want to vote for any of the others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

The inexplicable decisions of many to return to the "soldiers of destiny" in this election is a further indication of the ignorance and stupidity of much of the electorate. And yet they wonder why things never change!

So if they don't agree with you they are ignorant and stupid? Maybe you should emigrate to Saudi Arabia or Yemen as their system of establishing a parliament might suit you better?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

So if they don't agree with you they are ignorant and stupid? Maybe you should emigrate to Saudi Arabia or Yemen as their system of establishing a parliament might suit you better?

Classic Fianna Fail - where the answer is always "Go and emigrate"

It's quite simple really. Voting for a party that destroyed the economy, eroded the tax base, decimated services and forced thousands to emigrate etc etc can't be described as anything other than absolute stupidity and pathetic gombeenery!

The FF apologists and revisionists out there are infuriating!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

It's quite simple really. Voting for a party that destroyed the economy, eroded the tax base, decimated services and forced thousands to emigrate etc etc can't be described as anything other than absolute stupidity and pathetic gombeenery!

I think ' allowed the economy ' be destroyed is a fairer statement , lets not leave the bankers, developers and auctioneers, plus whoever else, of the hook completely .

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Punkyblip

I was walking along a poorly lit road earlier and got a belt of an election poster, and judging by where I hit the poster, I got Jan O' Sullivan's tit right in my face.

Now as I don't fancy a second date with her, when they taking these posters down.

jonski wrote: »
    I think ' allowed the economy ' be destroyed is a fairer statement , lets not leave the bankers, developers and auctioneers, plus whoever else, of the hook completely .

Fianna Fail were ultimately in control though and they inflated the bubble and overheated the economy to such an extent that they were relying on construction and property related taxes to fund the state. When the crash came there was suddenly a €20 Billion hole in the public finances!

• Advertisement

I suppose Fianna Fail were to blame for the collapse of Barings bank, Lehmann brothers and the Greek economy also? You need to brush up on politics and how economics and don't believe what you see in the headlines on the Sun or An Phoblact on a Saturday night.

Red King wrote: »
    Classic Fianna Fail - where the answer is always "Go and emigrate"

Fact is Willie O'Dea won doing handstands! I don't care how many sandbags Maurice filled in front of the cameras Willie got most of the votes from Garryowen,the Island and Southill. Sinn Fein have reached their peak in'this State' as they call it.

I suppose Fianna Fail were to blame for the collapse of Barings bank, Lehmann brothers and the Greek economy also? You need to brush up on politics and how economics and don't believe what you see in the headlines on the Sun or An Phoblact on a Saturday night.

Irrelevant bullsh*t! Where are you quoting that from? The FF propaganda manual?! The reality is that our economy was fatally undermined by the wreckless, idiotic policies of FF and had already overheated and contracted before any international shocks occurred!

But hey don't let the facts get in the way of orchestrating a pathetic attempt to absolve FF of culpability for our economic collapse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭Jack Killian

golfball37 wrote: »
    And thats exactly what he was at the time.

No problem with that. The problem is that he's never stopped doing that.

I can see Quinlivan being the same; they took him on because he's thought of as a decent Councillor (don't see it myself TBH, as he can do just as much doublespeak when it suits, particularly in relation to regeneration) and taking out a "good worker" just because he's popular could well backfire.

Irrelevant bullsh*t! Where are you quoting that from? The FF propaganda manual?! The reality is that our economy was fatally undermined by the wreckless, idiotic policies of FF and had already overheated and contracted before any international shocks occurred!

But hey don't let the facts get in the way of orchestrating a pathetic attempt to absolve FF of culpability for our economic collapse!

I love the way the tabloid readers like yourself always use 'overheated economy' and 'contracted economy' when offering their 2 cents worth on the subject. Fact is Fianna Fail are back and the shinners bluff will soon be called.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭Jack Killian

Steady on! There's no absolving there that I can see; those are facts.

There's no denying that FF left us far, far, far, FAR too exposed to the external stuff when it hit, but it was external stuff.

The internal stuff was a shambles relying on credit, that the EU was stoking the fire with too.

So there were 5 parties involved:

1) Anglo & co
    2) FF and their developer tent cronies
    3) foreign banks
    4) the EU
    5) the proportion / minority who "went mad"

FF should not be off the hook and should not be back in power (I actually heard an FF bloke being interviewed and he complained about Kenny's "whingers" comment - the parallel and irony after Ahern's despicable suicide comment was not lost) but there were the other factors too. I would put 50% of the blame on FF because if they hadn't relied on it and stoked it then the others couldn't have had as much of an impact.

I love the way the tabloid readers like yourself always use 'overheated economy' and 'contracted economy' when offering their 2 cents worth on the subject. Fact is Fianna Fail are back and the shinners bluff will soon be called.

The facts in other words. Facts that bluffers and delusional FF apologists like yourself just can't deal with!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

2011, Willie lost 64% of his vote, tops poll this time. Jokeshop. It'll be the same thing next time around. If SF or the Ind don't do a good job they'll be out next time around.
    I didn't see M Quinlivan out around Mungret at all but maybe I missed him or wasn't around.
    He's good at sorting out his own in town so now we'll see what he's made of.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

seachto7 wrote: »
    2011, Willie lost 64% of his vote, tops poll this time. Jokeshop. It'll be the same thing next time around. If SF or the Ind don't do a good job they'll be out next time around.
    I didn't see M Quinlivan out around Mungret at all but maybe I missed him or wasn't around.

Willie only lost that much as the constituency changed from 5 seat Limerick East to 4 seat Limerick City and most of the old constituency moved into the county. He lost about 4000 first choice votes alone before a vote was cast. He got some of that back this time as the Limerick City constuency was expanded to take back some of the area lost the last redrawing of the constituency. No doubt his vote would still have been down, but not by 65%. Even so he was still second highest in first preference votes in 2011.

seachto7 wrote: »

it's only a matter of time before SF will go the way of Saor eire, the workers party, Democratic left etc. When your party consists of a sizeable number of ex jailbirds and dodgy characters then the split in the party is only a matter of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

it's only a matter of time before SF will go the way of Saor eire, the workers party, Democratic left etc. When your party consists of a sizeable number of ex jailbirds and dodgy characters then the split in the party is only a matter of time.

I agree with you that Sinn Féin's rise will be limited, but who do you think will fill the void given that the combined vote for FF and FG has been plummeting from over 90% in the 1980's to just over 50% today?

zulutango wrote: »
    I agree with you that Sinn Féin's rise will be limited, but who do you think will fill the void given that the combined vote for FF and FG has been plummeting from over 90% in the 1980's to just over 50% today?

I'm not sure about filling any possible void but I think as a nation we need to get over ourselves a little bit. We are a small country consisting of less than 5 million people. There are very few differences in terms of ethnic groups or religions. The major issues that affect us such as currency changes , oil prices etc are out of our control.Basicly we should get on with it, spread the wealth a bit but also make it attractive for those with a bit of go in them to get out and work.All in all running this country isn't exactly rocket science.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

I'm not sure about filling any possible void but I think as a nation we need to get over ourselves a little bit. We are a small country consisting of less than 5 million people. There are very few differences in terms of ethnic groups or religions. The major issues that affect us such as currency changes , oil prices etc are out of our control.Basicly we should get on with it, spread the wealth a bit but also make it attractive for those with a bit of go in them to get out and work.All in all running this country isn't exactly rocket science.

It's not rocket science but we've managed to feck things up quite a few times. The international crisis didn't help matters but there's no doubt that the policies of the 2002 - 2007 government set us up for a very, very hard fall. Have we learned our lesson? I don't see any evidence that we have.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭L.T.P.

Fianna Fail have plenty of the above, have they split?

Advertisement