Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rounding off 1 & 2 Cents Rip off

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Personally I don't have a problem with this, 1c coins are beyond useless, I'm old enough to remember penny sweets but I doubt you can get a sweet for 1c. If "profiteering" means you have an extra 1c on a €9.99 transaction (.01% less the cost of lodgement fees) then I can't see retailers retiring early on the back of this.

If you want your 1c change, it being voluntary, just ask for it, I'm not sure what you will do with it though, after 100 transactions maybe you can bring then to a bank and exchange it for a €1 coin.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,457 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Chief executive of the Consumers Association Dermott Jewell said the assertions of profiteering were due to his own experience and complaints the lobby group has received.

Incontrovertible evidence indeed. About as solid as the complaints on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭clocks

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I wonder have the bigger retailers who have self service tills done it as there is no one to give you change , the self service till has to do it so they programmed it into their tills to do that & therefore all their tills do the same.

This just shows the level of complexity that retailers, particularly the large multiples , are capable of mastering. If they want to avoid handling small denomination coins then maybe they should price their items differently.

I've had multiple instances, as mentioned, where rounding only occurs against me. Once, a cashier handed me change sneering "there's your four cent" after I lingered for it (just a normal reflex really).

A few cent maybe small, but cash and coin are legal tender of fiat money. One has every right not to be underchanged at every turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Media-hungry organisation makes baseless claims and they get denied and you take this as proof for a childish stomp? Great. Doesn't mean anything, though.
    clocks wrote: »
    If they want to avoid handling small denomination coins then maybe they should price their items differently.

Which will cause inflation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

clocks wrote:
    I've had multiple instances, as mentioned, where rounding only occurs against me. Once, a cashier handed me change sneering "there's your four cent" after I lingered for it (just a normal reflex really).

Most of the time, the shop assistants don't give a damn whether the shop lose or gain a few cents, as long as it's making enough to continue to pay them and their tills balance at the end of the day. Shop assistants weren't sat down by the owners of the shop, and together they made this plan to riddle people out of as much money as possible. Most of them want to just come in and get their day over with, hoping they don't have to deal with too many awkward customers who give them grief for something beyond their control. The cashier doesn't choose the method of rounding, they don't try and take as much money as possible because tills need to balance.

Honestly, it's like people think that cashiers all have this big competition, and the prize goes to who cheated customers out of the most money by the end of the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭RCSATELLITES

clocks wrote: »
    This just shows the level of complexity that retailers, particularly the large multiples , are capable of mastering. If they want to avoid handling small denomination coins then maybe they should price their items differently.

A few cent maybe small, but cash and coin are legal tender of fiat money. One has every right not to be underchanged at every turn.

Great comment, someone talking sense.

They need to do their job properly.

And their job means ensuring the tills balance. Do you know the first thing about till work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

The guy asked for his change, how is that treating her like a bitch. Everybody is entitled to their change and non judgement from employers no matter what wage she is getting.

9.15 euro is alot of money for a cashier.

Most transactions are card transacations, we live in ireland half the people don't even have a bank account. So stop talking ****.
    3/4 of them don't even know what contactless is.

Why should people know what contact less is? It is not essential for a transaction. The rounding up is voluntary, if you want your 1c, ask for it but don't abuse a shop assistant just because she pointed out that you offered less than half the amount of the item. Have you anger issues?

Not when you consider the amount of crap they have to put up with.
    Most transactions are card transacations, we live in ireland half the people don't even have a bank account. So stop talking ****. 3/4 of them don't even know what contactless is.

Where on earth are you getting these figures?

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

Most transactions are card transacations, we live in ireland half the people don't even have a bank account. So stop talking ****.

Ok well first I'm not sure how you can say 9.15 is a lot of money for a cashier. It's minimum wage. Also not even sure where it was said that the cashier in question (is there even one?) was on that wage.

And secondly. Well that's just a lot of pie in the sky figures that I'm not sure you have any evidence of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Making stuff up again I see.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

//MOD

A reminder to keep things civil; calling someone a bitch etc. is not acceptable.

//MOD

Advertisement