Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Depop and Bloggers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭heyjude88

It's shocking ! Another blogger was selling off all her make up yesterday. She said they were unused, she had only swatched them for her blog. So basically hyped the product up and never used it! So bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭JellieBabie

Am I right in thinking that if you sell things you were gifted and you don't declare them to revenue that you can get in trouble for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Noahboah2014

Selling free make up, I've seen that happen a few times & have been totally baffled by it. "Foundation used twice rrp 16euro selling for 10euro +p&p."
    Why on earth would anyone do this & why on earth would anyone buy it.
    The individual that I had mentioned originally, I actually commented on the photo suggesting maybe she should give them to charity shops as they would make a killing off designer clothes & it least the money would go back into the community. Very politely.
    Also a couple of others commented to. And the blogger deleted the entire post without replying. The item was sold regardless of said comments.
    Very disappointing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,397 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I'm guessing bloggers do get sent so many products, there's probably duplication between brands and PR companies. I remember seeing a drugstore brand launching a new foundation and sending every shade in the collection (like 6 or 8 foundations) a blogger that I followed at the time. That was such a waste!

However some people I follow on social media who are actually MUA's in real life sell their make up, I'm only assuming that they must have to buy so many shades of products to suit clients, or buy back ups incase they run out and then find they don't use half of it. But I'm assuming they buy the make up, they are not being sent them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I'm confused as to who buys second hand slightly used makeup. Is that not kind of gross? Even a swatch on a hand means there's who knows what on the stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭ratmouse

I find the notion of these bloggers selling their worn clothes and partially used cosmetics pathetic .Are they that hard up cash wise that, if they have no further use for the items, that they couldn't donate to charity? Selling stuff like this and in this fashion has a real sense of car boot sale off it, only it's done online .

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭onthemitch

ratmouse wrote: »
    I find the notion of these bloggers selling their wor clothes and partially used cosmetics pathetic .Are they that hard up cash wise that, if they have no further use for the items, that they couldn't donate to charity? Selling stuff like this and in this fashion has a real sense of car boot sale off it, only it's done online .

I don't get it – what's wrong with a car boot sale?

I sell lightly worn / used clothing on Depop; I'd rather sell them for a decent price and know that someone bought them and is going to wear them than give them to charity, have them sold for €2 and end up in landfill... So my concerns are both ethical AND trying to make my own outgoings back. By and large, I don't sell things that I've been gifted – I've done it once or twice if items haven't fit or don't suit – but that's a personal choice, there are no rules about it!

onthemitch wrote: »
    I don't get it – what's wrong with a car boot sale?

I sell lightly worn / used clothing on Depop; I'd rather sell them for a decent price and know that someone bought them and is going to wear them than give them to charity, have them sold for €2 and end up in landfill... So my concerns are both ethical AND trying to make my own outgoings back. By and large, I don't sell things that I've been gifted – I've done it once or twice if items haven't fit or don't suit – but that's a personal choice, there are no rules about it!

And where then is the rule that says if you donate clothes to charity that they'll be sold for €2 and end up in landfill?! And how do you have a guarantee that selling on Depop means your customers there would never later dispose of said items to landfill? Are you trying to suggest that customers in a charity shop dispose of clothes in a different way to others? I really don't get your points.

And where then is the rule that says if you donate clothes to charity that they'll be sold for €2 and end up in landfill?! And how do you have a guarantee that selling on Depop means your customers there would never later dispose of said items to landfill? Are you trying to suggest that customers in a charity shop dispose of clothes in a different way to others? I really don't get your points.

How about this: you answer my question, and I'll answer yours, right?

So: what's wrong with a car boot sale?

There's no guarantee, but from my personal (anecdotal, and therefore unreliable) experience, charity shops vastly underprice items. So, for example, I would give a leather T-shirt by Irish designer Manley to a charity shop; they would sell it for €5; someone would buy it without knowing what it was or that it was worth a lot more than that, and it wouldn't be valued.

Not anecdotally, but actually factually, a huge percentage of items donated to charity shops ends up in landfill – not necessarily because the customers dispose of them a certain way (although I doubt that people really re-donate charity shop bought items; I'd guess it's more likely that they bin them), but because only a small percentage of donated items ends up actually getting sold. The rest gets shipped off to developing countries, where it ends up in landfill. The True Cost is a documentary film on Netflix about the fashion food chain that's really worth a watch.

I feel as if, by selling on Depop, eBay, consigning items and so on, you have a sort of assurance that the people buying your items see the value in them – because, in my case, I'm not selling them for €5 – and will therefore treat them better than they would if they bought them for that price in a charity shop. It's just a guess; it's my feeling, and a part of why I sell on Depop rather than donate to charity. I did say that, of course, I am not against making some money back in the process!

I'm just trying to clear up why I might sell clothes, which you seem to think is gross and distasteful. Where's the rule that states that I "should" or "shouldn't" sell on my property when I'm done with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

If it ends up on landfill it ends up on landfill. Personally I'd rather donate my clothes in the off chance that someone who has fallen on hard times would get some wear out of it, rather than sell it for €20 to some young one who probably has a bulging wardrobe of unworn clothes anyway. It's a risk I'd take. And if you're worried about your clothes ending up on landfill, well then maybe look inwardly, and you know, stop buying so much clothes that you don't need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I don't get it what's wrong with a car boot sale?

I sell lightly worn / used clothing on Depop; I'd rather sell them for a decent price and know that someone bought them and is going to wear them than give them to charity, have them sold for 2 and end up in landfill... So my concerns are both ethical AND trying to make my own outgoings back. By and large, I don't sell things that I've been gifted I've done it once or twice if items haven't fit or don't suit but that's a personal choice, there are no rules about it!

And where then is the rule that says if you donate clothes to charity that they'll be sold for 2 and end up in landfill?! And how do you have a guarantee that selling on Depop means your customers there would never later dispose of said items to landfill? Are you trying to suggest that customers in a charity shop dispose of clothes in a different way to others? I really don't get your points.
    Basically you just don't like anyone getting any money for their blogging. There are definitely very serious ethical issues about donation disclosure, hidden advertising and so on. But some here expect free content from bloggers, only reviews of products that were purchased by bloggers and they should not recoup any money by reselling clothes (used make up is another issue). Basically you want to be entertained for free with bloggers paying for the privilege. I don't think reselling the stuff is an issue, it's just good old fashioned begrudgery.

I don't get it what's wrong with a car boot sale?

I sell lightly worn / used clothing on Depop; I'd rather sell them for a decent price and know that someone bought them and is going to wear them than give them to charity, have them sold for 2 and end up in landfill... So my concerns are both ethical AND trying to make my own outgoings back. By and large, I don't sell things that I've been gifted I've done it once or twice if items haven't fit or don't suit but that's a personal choice, there are no rules about it!

And where then is the rule that says if you donate clothes to charity that they'll be sold for 2 and end up in landfill?! And how do you have a guarantee that selling on Depop means your customers there would never later dispose of said items to landfill? Are you trying to suggest that customers in a charity shop dispose of clothes in a different way to others? I really don't get your points.
    Basically you just don't like anyone getting any money for their blogging. There are definitely very serious ethical issues about donation disclosure, hidden advertising and so on. But some here expect free content from bloggers, only reviews of products that were purchased by bloggers and they should not recoup any money by reselling clothes (used make up is another issue). Basically you want to be entertained for free with bloggers paying for the privilege. I don't think reselling the stuff is an issue, it's just good old fashioned begrudgery.

anna080 wrote: »
    If it ends up on landfill it ends up on landfill. Personally I'd rather donate my clothes in the off chance that some poor old dear who hasnt two pennys to rub together would get some wear out of it, rather than sell it for €20 to some young one who probably has a bulging wardrobe of unworn clothes anyway. It's a risk I'd take. And if you're worried about your clothes ending up on landfill, well then maybe look inwardly, and you know, stop buying so much clothes that you don't need.

But that's a personal choice: you're trying to impose some kind of morality on a person selling their own property, not for profit (in this case), but at a loss. Whatever the reasons, surely that's up to each individual.

It's not a black and white issue really: I love fashion and I love clothes. I try to make better fashion choices as much as possible, and if I buy "fast fashion" it's because I think I'll wear it over and over again. Not buying new things isn't really ever going to be a choice I make, unless I stop caring about fashion at all (which seems unlikely). I guess for me it's about little steps!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I sell clothes and *shock* make up on depop. Some used, some unused, but the point is the same. I'm obviously not a blogger so none of it was gifted.
    I personally wouldn't buy someone else's used make up (because ew) but anything I sell is used at most once or twice.
    I sell it on very cheaply so that firstly, I get some return on my original purchase, and secondly so that someone else can get good use out of it who may not be able to afford it at full price. Same goes for my clothes.
    I rarely drink (few times a year max) and don't smoke so I see no problem with treating myself to make up and clothes. Some of it ends up not always being used or worn.
    Particularly with make up, I'm an impulse buyer and like many women don't always get round to using everything, or find something doesn't suit when I try it.
    There's nothing wrong with selling or even buying on these apps, to make a return on your buy and passing on a bargain.
    I only sell the really expensive bits, anything in the middle goes to charity, and anything threadbare goes in the recycling bin.

It doesn't even bother me that bloggers sell their stuff. The only thing that pees me off is when they sell worn items for higher than the retail price (one in particular is awful for doing this) or selling items that were gifted.
    Nothing wrong with selling on bits you don't want anymore. There's some very judgy vibes coming from some posts here.

How about this: you answer my question, and I'll answer yours, right?

So: what's wrong with a car boot sale?

There's no guarantee, but from my personal (anecdotal, and therefore unreliable) experience, charity shops vastly underprice items. So, for example, I would give a leather T-shirt by Irish designer Manley to a charity shop; they would sell it for €5; someone would buy it without knowing what it was or that it was worth a lot more than that, and it wouldn't be valued.

Not anecdotally, but actually factually, a huge percentage of items donated to charity shops ends up in landfill – not necessarily because the customers dispose of them a certain way (although I doubt that people really re-donate charity shop bought items; I'd guess it's more likely that they bin them), but because only a small percentage of donated items ends up actually getting sold. The rest gets shipped off to developing countries, where it ends up in landfill. The True Cost is a documentary film on Netflix about the fashion food chain that's really worth a watch.

I feel as if, by selling on Depop, eBay, consigning items and so on, you have a sort of assurance that the people buying your items see the value in them – because, in my case, I'm not selling them for €5 – and will therefore treat them better than they would if they bought them for that price in a charity shop. It's just a guess; it's my feeling, and a part of why I sell on Depop rather than donate to charity. I did say that, of course, I am not against making some money back in the process!

I'm just trying to clear up why I might sell clothes, which you seem to think is gross and distasteful. Where's the rule that states that I "should" or "shouldn't" sell on my property when I'm done with it?

That seems so snobby towards people who buy in charity shops to state that they wouldn't know who a particular designer is. Can charity shop customers not have a knowledge of fashion, fashion designers or the value of designer products?

Regarding the car boot sale, well, I didn't actually say there was a problem with them .

Just say you sell them to make money, rather than dressing it up as affected concern for the environment.

Just say you sell them to make money, rather than dressing it up as an affected concern for the environment.

+1
    I follow a few bloggers on snapchat and the consumption levels are gross, both purchasing and freebies. Who needs to be sent 10 shades of lipstick? Who thinks selling them on is not shady at all? How does yet another fast fashion delivery of clothes made in another continent work with concern for the environment?
    I donate all my used clothing and it's a little odd that another poster says used makeup is "ew" but not if someone is buying hers.

lazygal wrote: »
    +1
    I follow a few bloggers on snapchat and the consumption levels are gross, both purchasing and freebies. Who needs to be sent 10 shades of lipstick? Who thinks selling them on is not shady at all? How does yet another fast fashion delivery of clothes made in another continent work with concern for the environment?
    I donate all my used clothing and it's a little odd that another poster says used makeup is "ew" but not if someone is buying hers.

I agree. Contradictory standards going on here I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Hopeful2016

If it ends up on landfill it ends up on landfill. Personally I'd rather donate my clothes in the off chance that some poor old dear who hasnt two pennys to rub together would get some wear out of it, rather than sell it for €20 to some young one who probably has a bulging wardrobe of unworn clothes anyway. It's a risk I'd take. And if you're worried about your clothes ending up on landfill, well then maybe look inwardly, and you know, stop buying so much clothes that you don't need.

Unelected moral conscious, when it suits :rolleyes:

That seems so snobby towards people who buy in charity shops to state that they wouldn't know who a particular designer is. Can charity shop customers not have a knowledge of fashion, fashion designers or the value of designer products?

Regarding the car boot sale, well, I didn't actually say there was a problem with them .

Eh, yeah you did: When you first complained about it, you said, "Selling stuff like this and in this fashion has a real sense of car boot sale off it, only it's done online." So what's your problem with there being a sense of car boot sale off it?
    Just say you sell them to make money, rather than dressing it up as affected concern for the environment.
    I did say that, in my initial post – that I have two reasons for doing it. (a) because, in my opinion, I think clothing that is resold is less likely to end up in landfill, at least imminently and (b) to make my outgoings back.

Like I also said previously, not everything is perfectly black and white. I can sell things online in order to make money AND because I think it's a better way to recycle clothing. It's an opinion – an opinion that I hold, and that I use to make a choice. I'm not saying it's right; a lot of what I suspect is just that – suspicion. That's all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

I personally have zero issues with anyone - bloggers or joe public - selling what they've purchased, whether it's clothes, shoes, or makeup. I don't buy secondhand, not because I'm flush, but because I think it's icky the idea of wearing something someone has already used. Calling it 'vintage' doesn't improve it for me, but hey, each to their own.

I do have a problem with bloggers selling items they've received for free unless they're declaring it as income or donating the profits to a charity (of their choice, and I don't mean 'the charity of me'). I think it's grabby, grasping behaviour.

I watched The True Cost, and I think the message it tried to communicate was that we buy too much cheaply made easily desposed of clothing and justify it but saying "oh sure it's only a fiver", and throw it away. I didn't come away from it thinking "oh I should stop donating to charity shops, look what that does!". I came away with the stark realisation that I have waaay too much crap, too much cheap crap, I need to take some responsibility for what has happened by not buying as much cheaply made clothing from factories in Bangladesh that have deplorable working conditions. The fact this show has stopped you donating to charity is frankly quite sad and is not the message the show was trying to perpetuate. We need to be responsible for what we buy: by all means still donate what you can to charity; just stop buying so much needles and unnecessary crap so what you do donate is greatly limited. Selling it on for €20 does nothing to prevent the landfill problems: you're just delaying the inevitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

A bit odd here maybe but I've often bought stuff in charity shops, worn it a few times then when I realised I didn't or wouldn't wear it again I returned it to a charity shop. The item was still in great condition just that I didn't/wouldn't wear it again. I've never even thought twice about it to be honest. :o

I've bought and sold second hand stuff, if someone is happy to buy it, I'm happy to sell it.

Eh, yeah you did: When you first complained about it, you said, "Selling stuff like this and in this fashion has a real sense of car boot sale off it, only it's done online." So what's your problem with there being a sense of car boot sale off it?

I did say that, in my initial post – that I have two reasons for doing it. (a) because, in my opinion, I think clothing that is resold is less likely to end up in landfill, at least imminently and (b) to make my outgoings back.

Like I also said previously, not everything is perfectly black and white. I can sell things online in order to make money AND because I think it's a better way to recycle clothing. It's an opinion – an opinion that I hold, and that I use to make a choice. I'm not saying it's right; a lot of what I suspect is just that – suspicion. That's all.
    The easier option and better way to save money would be to buy less in the first place. I respect bloggers like Paris To Go who advises on buying second hand and having a zero waste approach to fashion. I buy far less than I used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

Is there some kind snobbery about people who buy stuff second hand? I've bought second hand clothes from charity shops and online. I wouldn't buy second hand make up or creams but you can find some nice clothes , furniture, shoes etc on ebay. Selling stuff online is no different to having a car boot sale. Whats wrong with people making some money from items they don't have any use for?

groovyg wrote: »
    Is there some kind snobbery about people who buy stuff second hand? I've bought second hand clothes from charity shops and online. I wouldn't buy second hand make up or creams but you can find some nice clothes , furniture, shoes etc on ebay. Selling stuff online is no different to having a car boot sale. Whats wrong with people making some money from items they don't have any use for?

I buy from charity shops, as do my friends, and I love fashion and have a great eye for style. My mother used to frequent charity shops when she had fallen on hard times. But according to a poster above we apparently are not worthy of the nice clothes there and wouldn't appreciate the craftsmanship involved and would treat the clothes like crap. Only someone who has €30 to spare would appreciate such detail and be worthy of wearing such finery.

I think it's the making money bit. It has to go to the charity so people can buy it for fiver and give money to Console or whoever is the next charity of the month.

I buy from charity shops, as do my friends, and I love fashion and have a great eye for style. My mother used to frequent charity shops when she had fallen on hard times. But according to a poster above we apparently are not worthy of the nice clothes there and wouldn't appreciate the craftsmanship involved and would treat the clothes like crap. Only someone who has €30 to spare would appreciate such detail and be worthy of wearing such finery.

That's not what I meant AT ALL – but you're obviously determined to, what, hate me for selling things on Depop? For holding a (perhaps wrong) opinion that people value items more if they spend €30 on them than if they spend €5? For being conflicted about the steps I take in my life to be more ethical, without going on a clothes-buying ban altogether?

This is such a neverending cycle of snark, there's just no point even engaging with what could be an interesting discussion.

meeeeh wrote: »
    I think it's the making money bit. It has to go to the charity so people can buy it for fiver and give money to Console or whoever is the next charity of the month.

No, for me it's consumption. Buying ASOS or River Island or whatever, knowing you'll sell it on again and then dress it up as environmental concern. Whereas the obviously thing is to buy less and tell companies not to send you multiple items of makeup in the first place.
    I donate to a woman's shelter and my kids' clothes go to fellow parents or the shelter too.

• Advertisement

That's not what I meant AT ALL – but you're obviously determined to, what, hate me for selling things on Depop? For holding a (perhaps wrong) opinion that people value items more if they spend €30 on them than if they spend €5? For being conflicted about the steps I take in my life to be more ethical, without going on a clothes-buying ban altogether?

This is such a neverending cycle of snark, there's just no point even engaging with what could be an interesting discussion.

You wrote a piece on feedback, didn't you, and how it's not hate but constructive criticism. Maybe instead of getting defensive you should pause before buying stuff and reread what people are saying.

Advertisement