Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Depop and Bloggers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

@lazygal
    Oh I absolutely agree about buying less, I stated before I still have some classic shape pieces (leather jacket, simple top etc) from 15 years ago. I usually buy to supplement stuff I already have. I built a decent wardrobe that way. But somebody might be selling one if the three items they bought in the whole year because it doesn't suit or fit them and people here would still be complaining. I mean equal to car boot sale, firstly what is wrong with car boot sale and what kind of person would turn their nose up at one? Nobody is forcing people to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

onthemitch wrote: »
    That's not what I meant AT ALL – but you're obviously determined to, what, hate me for selling things on Depop? For holding a (perhaps wrong) opinion that people value items more if they spend €30 on them than if they spend €5? For being conflicted about the steps I take in my life to be more ethical, without going on a clothes-buying ban altogether?

This is such a neverending cycle of snark, there's just no point even engaging with what could be an interesting discussion.

I don't hate you, I'm baffled that you'd even say that. I actually like you, I frequently thank your posts and have praised you on here in the past. My posts aren't even directed at you for the most part, they're directed at the situation that we are talking about (except for the comment about charity shops because I really didn't like that) I still think this is an interesting discussion but if you want to take your ball and go home because you made some unjust comments that people didn't appreciate then that's fair enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Hopeful2016

lazygal wrote: »
    You wrote a piece on feedback, didn't you, and how it's not hate but constructive criticism. Maybe instead of getting defensive you should pause before buying stuff and reread what people are saying.

Surely she can buy (and sell) whatever the hell she wants to?! She doesn't need to justify it to random strangers on the internet :confused:

Some of the people who post on Boards in relation to bloggers seem to have some kind of unhealthy obsession with them. Every thing bloggers do seem to draw intense criticism and ire. It's beyond me why grown women continue to follow the bloggers who piss them off so much. It makes absolutely no sense. Life is so short, you could be doing something much more useful/positive with your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭onthemitch

anna080 wrote: »
    I don't hate you, I'm baffled that you'd even say that. I actually like you, and my posts aren't even directed at you, they're directed at the situation that we are talking about (expect for the comment about charity shops because I really didn't like that) I still think this is an interesting discussion but if you want to take your ball and go home because you made some unjust comments that people didn't appreciate then that's fair enough.

It just seems as if there's a determination to pick up on every single little thing that I say and misconstrue it / twist it. I don't think I made any unjust comments; as just one example, it is human nature, and logic, to say that people value more expensive things more than cheaper things.

And a large part of the True Cost was debunking the myths that it's okay to buy things if we give them to charity – because a huge portion of those clothes end up in landfill in Haiti.

I guess I personally try to adopt a two-pronged approach: yes, I genuinely do try to buy less (less than I used to, although still probably a sizeable amount!), and I also try to 'recycle' what I do buy in as sustainable a fashion as I (think I) can. I don't buy fast fashion – if a pair of jeans costs €20, there's no way that the people making them can be paid a living wage when you factor in materials etc. But, like I said, it's a personal choice, and no one's perfect when it comes to making more ethical, sustainable fashion choices.

My choice? I would rather resell high-value or high end items than donate them to a charity shop – I've had so many experiences of telling charity shop staff (nicely) that they've underpriced designer gear, only for them to shrug and say, "I don't do pricing" or "that's just the price of it". The idea of donating something I paid €200 for to charity, and then seeing it sold for €2, doesn't sit well with me!

Surely she can buy (and sell) whatever the hell she wants to?! She doesn't need to justify it to random strangers on the internet :confused:

Some of the people who post on Boards in relation to bloggers seem to have some kind of unhealthy obsession with them. Every thing bloggers do seem to draw intense criticism and ire. It's beyond me why grown women continue to follow the bloggers who piss them off so much. It makes absolutely no sense. Life is so short, you could be doing something much more useful/positive with your time.

I don't follow any bloggers who piss me off, I follow ones that I like, but sometimes they do things that piss me off, this is one of those times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I have to agree. Im no stranger for criticising bloggers where it's due but condemning someone for how they choose to spend their own money is ridiculous. Preaching your own personal opinions on consumerism is misplaced.

No one here is advocating selling freebies sent by companies, anyone is quite entitled to sell on items they bought themselves.

Better for someone to spend their money on make up and clothes, than alcohol, cigarettes or drugs. It's hardly the worst industry to support or the worst spending habit to have for goodness sake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Hopeful2016

I don't follow any bloggers who piss me off, I follow ones that I like, but sometimes they do things that piss me off, this is one of those times.

I believe RM previously said she had to block you on Snapchat, which seems odd...

I believe RM previously said she had to block you on Snapchat, which seems odd...

Not me. I still follow her.

To be fair, the authenticity of said Snapchat account was never verified – and in any case, I unblocked everyone a few weeks ago! I'm hoping people have stopped sending pics of their kids to random strangers :p

If I could mess with the train of thought slightly, does it strike anyone else that Depop is a kind of weird, elitist eBay? It seems to only work effectively for sellers who are well-known; if you don't have any way of building up your following or broadcasting the fact that you're selling items, it's HIGHLY unlikely that your items will get sold, or even seen.

Like, one person could put up their sweaty, unwashed bodycon and it would sell in seconds, while someone else – with no followers – could be trying to sell brand new Arnotts-grade stuff, to no avail. It's kind of nuts.

• Advertisement

If I could mess with the train of thought slightly, does it strike anyone else that Depop is a kind of weird, elitist eBay? It seems to only work effectively for sellers who are well-known; if you don't have any way of building up your following or broadcasting the fact that you're selling items, it's HIGHLY unlikely that your items will get sold, or even seen.

Like, one person could put up their sweaty, unwashed bodycon and it would sell in seconds, while someone else – with no followers – could be trying to sell brand new Arnotts-grade stuff, to no avail. It's kind of nuts.

It's like the Instagram of selling apps/sites I think! It's definitely a bit of a popularity contest alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭JellieBabie

My choice? I would rather resell high-value or high end items than donate them to a charity shop – I've had so many experiences of telling charity shop staff (nicely) that they've underpriced designer gear, only for them to shrug and say, "I don't do pricing" or "that's just the price of it". The idea of donating something I paid €200 for to charity, and then seeing it sold for €2, doesn't sit well with me!

Hi onthemitch can I just ask what charity shops these are that sell clothes so cheaply? I ask because I volunteered in a charity shop before and if anything I felt they slightly overpriced the clothes that were donated. I never saw items sold as cheaply as 5 euro!

Also regarding your stance on donating clothes which end up in landfill - I know some clothes get shredded and the shreds are sold and the money is then used charitably. How do you feel about the proceeds from the clothes being sold being used for charitable purposes?

I'm sure she thinks it's great that the proceeds from the shredded clothes go to charity.
    That doesn't change the fact that she isn't obliged to send all her clothes to charity shops.
    It's not against the law to sell her stuff. Selling her stuff doesn't make her a horrible person.
    She owns them, therefore she is entitled to do with them as she pleases.

Honestly, the preachy tone to the last few pages is deafening. What someone chooses to do with their own property is no one else's business and doesn't have to be justified.

The whole point of this thread was to discuss bloggers unethically selling free items sent by companies and bloggers selling worn clothes for twice the price they are in shops without revealing where the item was bought. Not to rip people to shreds for choosing to sell on stuff they bought with their own money.

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    I'm sure she thinks it's great that the proceeds from the shredded clothes go to charity.
    That doesn't change the fact that she isn't obliged to send all her clothes to charity shops.
    It's not against the law to sell her stuff. Selling her stuff doesn't make her a horrible person.

Honestly, the preachy tone to the last few pages is deafening. What someone chooses to do with their own property is no one else's business and doesn't have to be justified.

The whole point of this thread was to discuss bloggers unethically selling free items sent by companies and bloggers selling worn clothes for twice the price they are in shops without revealing where the item was bought. Not to rip people to shreds for choosing to sell on stuff they bought with their own money.

No one is preaching or tearing anyone to shreds. One poster made a comment about not donating to charity shops because they usually end up on landfill, so a discussion was had about how this isn't always the case and selling them on depop doesn't prevent them ending up on landfill. We are just having a discussion, nobody insinuated anyone is a horrible person for doing anything, calm down with your hysterics.

No one is preaching or tearing anyone to shreds. One poster made a comment about not donating to charity shops because they usually end up on landfill, so a discussion was had about how this isn't always the case and selling them on depop doesn't prevent them ending up on landfill. We are just having a discussion, nobody insinuated anyone is a horrible person for doing anything, calm down with your hysterics.

People are imposing their values and views on someone else, as if their opinion is the only correct one.
    R has answered already, and each time she answers, a new wave of questions comes in. It's starting to look like an inquisition.
    I'm not the one that sounds hysterical here. And please, don't be so patronising as to tell me to calm down. Ridiculous.

People are imposing their values and views on someone else, as if their opinion is the only correct one.
    R has answered already, and each time she answers, a new wave of questions comes in. It's starting to look like an inquisition.
    I'm not the one that sounds hysterical here. And please, don't be so patronising as to tell me to calm down. Ridiculous.

Nobody imposed anything on anyone, we had a discussion and now it's over. Nothing personal was said and a lot of insight was gained. The only one who has taken offence to the discussion is you for some bizzare reason considering you had no actual part in it.

Also regarding your stance on donating clothes which end up in landfill - I know some clothes get shredded and the shreds are sold and the money is then used charitably. How do you feel about the proceeds from the clothes being sold being used for charitable purposes?
    What is your stance on the money going to Console or Rehab. I'm not anti charity and the above two are just the easy put down. But I hate this attitude that we all owe some deference to charity sector. It seems that anyone who lost someone in tragic circumstances starts a charity. I can understand the sentiment behind it but there is huge duplication because of it and more importantly services that state should provide are often offloaded to badly supervised organizations and state avoids doing anything. Historically that includes orphanages, industrial schools and nowadays organizations dealing with homelessness.

I have no problem with money being used charitably but it can still do more damage than good. I really can't see one good reason why someone should feel guilty selling stuff instead donating it. Apologies for derailing the thread but I resent how little thought actually goes into charitable donations and what to do with them. So maybe more critical thinking should be applied there too and give it to charity shouldn't be the stick used to beat everyone who dares to make some money selling stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭heyjude88

Please don't get this thread locked also :(

Look, go on depop and look at a blogger selling make up. She said in her own snaps that it was unused and only swatched for her blog. I've followed her for well over a year, and she used these products many times. I remember as I stupidly went and bought some of them. Look at the pictures on depop. One in particular is manky dirty. I know some might think she got more than one item and is selling the rest, but she says herself that if she doesn't like something she doesn't mention it on her blog or snaps. Well these products were raved about and now there's all new companies replacing them. I'm sorry but I find this side of things bad.

Gosh, I give all my clothes to my local charity shop! Wouldn't have the time or patience for selling them! :) that's just my on personal opinion though.

I think it's disgraceful that she has claimed to have swatched them but not used them. So she swatched them for a blog post or an Instagram pic to show us how amazing they were but never actually used them? Terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭ratmouse

I think it's disgraceful that she has claimed to have swatched them but not used them. So she swatched them for a blog post or an Instagram pic to show us how amazing they were but never actually used them? Terrible.

Just a further example of more lies, deceit and contradiction from certain bloggers.

• Advertisement

Sorry.. are you onthemitch? I asked her, not you. Also I never ONCE said she is obliged to give her clothes to charity shops so you can stop jumping down my throat please! I asked a question because this opinion on clothes that are donated going to landfill is a new one for me and I'm interested in exploring it further. I am not familiar with the documentary The True Cost so I'm just trying to ascertain how severe this issue is with clothes going to landfill. Is that okay with you or do I have to run my questions by you now first?
    meeeeh wrote: »
    What is your stance on the money going to Console or Rehab. I'm not anti charity and the above two are just the easy put down. But I hate this attitude that we all owe some deference to charity sector. It seems that anyone who lost someone in tragic circumstances starts a charity. I can understand the sentiment behind it but there is huge duplication because of it and more importantly services that state should provide are often offloaded to badly supervised organizations and state avoids doing anything. Historically that includes orphanages, industrial schools and nowadays organizations dealing with homelessness.

I have no problem with money being used charitably but it can still do more damage than good. I really can't see one good reason why someone should feel guilty selling stuff instead donating it. Apologies for derailing the thread but I resent how little thought actually goes into charitable donations and what to do with them. So maybe more critical thinking should be applied there too and give it to charity shouldn't be the stick used to beat everyone who dares to make some money selling stuff.

My stance on Console is that it is a truly terrible thing that the director was mismanaging funds for his own gain and it sadly does an awful lot of harm to more than just Console as now we have a situation where people are afraid to donate to charity as a result.

I don't really know why you are giving out to me about people losing someone and then starting a charity off the back of it - that's not my concern. In my opinion the state does little anyway and that's why charities are set up - not the other way around but that's a debate for another day.

Regarding your stance that there is no problem donating but it can do more harm than good - I would have to disagree there. I have worked for charities over the years and I have seen some of the really good work it does.

If you want to sell your clothes by all means do it! Your clothes, your choice! I have no issue WHATSOEVER with anyone selling clothes on depop! The only reason I asked the question of onthemitch is because she said one of the reasons she doesn't donate is due to the landfill issue and I'm really intrigued by that. It's not an argument I've heard before so I'm interested in teasing it out and seeing is this really the case so I can better inform myself about where charity clothes donations end up. It would certainly make me reconsider things. That is why I'm asking. I am not trying to pontificate or accuse anyone of anything!

I am not familiar with the documentary The True Cost so I'm just trying to ascertain how severe this issue is with clothes going to landfill.

Okay SO, according to the documentary, a HUGE proportion of our clothing – a lot of which is fast fashion – ends up in landfill. Like, massive. There are tonnes and tonnes of clothes in landfill, and when they're man-made fabrics, they will never biodegrade or break down, at least not in our lifetimes (or the next three or four generations).

It's such a complex issue, that I guess my attitude starts with buying and ends with disposal. So:

When buying, I always try to figure out: is this something I'll wear several times, and to several different "types" of events? Like, daytime, night-time, summer winter... If I see something I know I will *only* wear to weddings / on nights out / in the summer etc, I try not to buy it.

By and large, I don't buy fast fashion. There are, of course, always going to be exceptions, driven by either really wanting something, or not being able to afford the more expensive version! Or, the very rare time when I see something super cheap and just know that I'm going to get loads of wear out of it. But like I said, this is so rare; when I look at my wardrobe, anything I have that's more than six months old cost over €50.

Then, when it comes to the other end of the life cycle, I try to figure out how I can recycle items – so, pass them on to people. From The True Cost, I gathered that a huge proportion of clothing donated to charity shops ends up being shipped out of the country into the developing world, sieved through there, and from there into landfill. So it basically is rubbish that gets outsourced. So, I would rather sell my items or consign them, knowing that ANY buyer will place a higher value on a €30 item than they will on a €5 item. It's just human nature.

It's not an anti-charity stance; I donate to a few charities myself, and think that a lot of them do great work. Obviously some are problematic, but like you said, I wouldn't tar them all with the same brush. It's just an anti-disposable-fashion stance.

Obviously, if I make some money back, I'm happy to do that – but I see it like an investment. Like, if I bought a car, and then, five years later, decided I didn't want it any more, and wanted to buy a new car, who would have an issue with me trading that car in? Why are clothes any different? Should I donate that car to charity... because why? (If I had been given a car by a car brand, it would be a different story, and I think profiting off freebies is a bit dodgy, to say the least. From a purely practical point of view, I would be very worried that I'd piss off the PR people who'd given me the freebies!)

Anyway I know that wasn't your issue – I hope that helps explain the landfill thing. And tbh I'm not an expert, it's just my understanding of it, and how I decide what to do with my property once I'm done with it so that I can (a) feel like it's not ending up in landfill (b) recycle it so that it ends up with someone who will value it and (c) get some of my hard-earned cashola back!

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Sufitzy

As someone who volunteers in a charity shop I'd like to point out that not all charity shops just price everything at a couple of euro regardless of its original price, perhaps if people are donating higher value clothes they should look into some charity stores who know the value of donations and price accordingly.
    Just a thought !

Sufitzy wrote: »
    As someone who volunteers in a charity shop I'd like to point out that not all charity shops just price everything at a couple of euro regardless of its original price, perhaps if people are donating higher value clothes they should look into some charity stores who know the value of donations and price accordingly.
    Just a thought !

Or if you know the value of stuff, price it accordingly, sell it yourself and then do with money whatever you want including donating it to charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Sufitzy

Or if you know the value of stuff, price it accordingly, sell it yourself and then do with money whatever you want including donating it to charity.

Exactly !

My stance on Console is that it is a truly terrible thing that the director was mismanaging funds for his own gain and it sadly does an awful lot of harm to more than just Console as now we have a situation where people are afraid to donate to charity as a result.

That was more of a rhetorical question, I think every right minded person would be bothered by what was going on there. My reply was aimed more generally about all the comments to donate things to charity and not sell them implying it's more morally superior action and in my opinion it is way more complex than that.

Just to make it clear, I do not sell clothes and I do not donate them to the shops. My dress size didn't overly change last twenty years (excluding pregnancies), frankly by the time I am done with clothes they are in no state to be resold or donated. I consider buying smartly and getting good use out of things by far the most responsible action. Most of the clear out items go to the charity containers, at best they end up being used as rags for industry (hotel sheets are preferable material for that) and at worst they land in land fill but they would anyway if I just threw them in the bin.

I made first purchase in a charity shop the other day. It was a impulse buy because I was looking at something else that was not in my size. When I saw it at home I was quite annoyed because only in the better lighting I spotted all the tattered material around the stitching. Not because of money I paid but because someone obviously thought their rags are good enough for others and so did the people handing and sorting clothes. I think it shows certain disrespect for people. Anyway I am rambling...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Anyway I know that wasn't your issue – I hope that helps explain the landfill thing. And tbh I'm not an expert, it's just my understanding of it, and how I decide what to do with my property once I'm done with it so that I can (a) feel like it's not ending up in landfill (b) recycle it so that it ends up with someone who will value it and (c) get some of my hard-earned cashola back!

I feel I have to preface this by saying that I think some of your posts are great-especially the not all men but all women stuff and your journey on healthy eating. And I admire you for posting openly and returning to deal with some pretty harsh criticism, which takes some guts.

My issue with bloggers buying and/or receiving clothing, makeup and other products and then selling them on is that it feeds into an endless cycle of consumption. And it annoys me greatly that you've said more than once that charity shops won't 'value' your stuff enough so that's a reason you sell it yourself. And implied that people shopping in charity shops wouldn't know the bargain they were getting if they bought something for 2 quid that was originally 200. I'm sure you don't mean to be, but that's quite a patronising thing to say.

I've never seen you blog about the ethics of used clothing or any comments on IG or snapchat about it, ever. I know you've said you're consciously trying to consume more ethically-it might make for an interesting blog post. I've mentioned one blogger who posts about zero waste and she has some really interesting information and links on having style while having a zero waste approach. Just a thought. So many bloggers all receive the same freebies from the same companies, boxes of makeup at events or attend the same lunches and dinners. It'd be so refreshing to see how a person trying to consume more ethically managed the consumption side of blogging with trying to be more thoughtful about what they bring into their home.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

someone obviously thought their rags are good enough for others and so did the people handing and sorting clothes. I think it shows certain disrespect for people. Anyway I am rambling...
    I'm very discerning about what I donate. Most of my donations are clothes that simply don't fit me or that I don't need. My view is that I'd wear it still, if it was suitable. I've donated maternity and breastfeeding clothes, almost as new as when I bought them, debs-style dresses, work and casual wear that just doesn't work for my life now etc. I wouldn't dream of expecting someone else to buy a tatty top that was washed out and that goes in the clothes recycling. Same with my kids' clothes. So much of the baby stuff was only worn a handful of times, so out it went to friends or a shelter. The older they get the more they are hard on clothes so a lot of their stuff now goes to recycling and only the stuff I'd happily put them in but for them being too big for it is donated.

lazygal wrote: »
    It annoys me greatly that you've said more than once that charity shops won't 'value' your stuff enough so that's a reason you sell it yourself. And implied that people shopping in charity shops wouldn't know the bargain they were getting if they bought something for 2 quid that was originally 200. I'm sure you don't mean to be, but that's quite a patronising thing to say.

To clarify: I didn't say that charity shops don't value stuff, nor did I say that every single person who shops in a charity shop is too stupid to recognise the value of a €200 dress, if they buy it for €2. My point was more general – that if a human being spends €50 on an item, they will value it more than if they spend €5 on it. There are, of course, exceptions to this rule – like the person who picks up a designer handbag in a charity shop for €20, realises it's designer, thanks their lucky stars etc etc.

I'm sorry if you think that's a really condescending way of looking at things, but it just seems so logical to me: if you spend €20 on one mug and €2 on another, both made from the exact same material (say, ceramic), and they both break, which are you more upset about? What we spend on items matters – a lot of the time, for right or wrong, it becomes their value.

And, to be clear: I donated a huge bag of stuff to charity the other day – a lot of unopened beauty products I'd received, some clothing items I'd been sent etc. Things I don't feel comfortable reselling because I'm then essentially profiting from being lucky enough to receive free things (and because it looks really ungrateful).

To be honest, I don't talk very often about sustainability, ethical fashion etc because I just don't feel like I know enough about it – and I'm afraid I'd trip myself up and people would then think me patronising (see above!) for expressing theories that are based only on my own experience and way of thinking.

I have spoken about The True Cost; I've spoken about donating to charity; I spoke on Snapchat last week about how I wanted to buy from ethical brands, but found that most of them designed for extremely thin hippies; I've posted on my Instagram about an ethically sourced, sustainably designed sportswear line... In short, I'm trying my best. And a lot of that is in the things I'm NOT doing. So, I don't post fast fashion hauls (I have occasionally talked about things I've bought on Asos, as an exception that proves I'm a hypocrite, but I really try not to do haul-type posts because I think they're gross). I don't spend €200-odd per week on clothing. I don't ever buy things I'll wear just once. But I'm not perfect and, also relevant, I'm not a fashion blogger! Around 10% of my content is fashion.

• Advertisement

Okay SO, according to the documentary, a HUGE proportion of our clothing – a lot of which is fast fashion – ends up in landfill. Like, massive. There are tonnes and tonnes of clothes in landfill, and when they're man-made fabrics, they will never biodegrade or break down, at least not in our lifetimes (or the next three or four generations).

It's such a complex issue, that I guess my attitude starts with buying and ends with disposal. So:

When buying, I always try to figure out: is this something I'll wear several times, and to several different "types" of events? Like, daytime, night-time, summer winter... If I see something I know I will *only* wear to weddings / on nights out / in the summer etc, I try not to buy it.

By and large, I don't buy fast fashion. There are, of course, always going to be exceptions, driven by either really wanting something, or not being able to afford the more expensive version! Or, the very rare time when I see something super cheap and just know that I'm going to get loads of wear out of it. But like I said, this is so rare; when I look at my wardrobe, anything I have that's more than six months old cost over €50.

Then, when it comes to the other end of the life cycle, I try to figure out how I can recycle items – so, pass them on to people. From The True Cost, I gathered that a huge proportion of clothing donated to charity shops ends up being shipped out of the country into the developing world, sieved through there, and from there into landfill. So it basically is rubbish that gets outsourced. So, I would rather sell my items or consign them, knowing that ANY buyer will place a higher value on a €30 item than they will on a €5 item. It's just human nature.

It's not an anti-charity stance; I donate to a few charities myself, and think that a lot of them do great work. Obviously some are problematic, but like you said, I wouldn't tar them all with the same brush. It's just an anti-disposable-fashion stance.

Obviously, if I make some money back, I'm happy to do that – but I see it like an investment. Like, if I bought a car, and then, five years later, decided I didn't want it any more, and wanted to buy a new car, who would have an issue with me trading that car in? Why are clothes any different? Should I donate that car to charity... because why? (If I had been given a car by a car brand, it would be a different story, and I think profiting off freebies is a bit dodgy, to say the least. From a purely practical point of view, I would be very worried that I'd piss off the PR people who'd given me the freebies!)

Thanks for the very thorough reply! It certainly makes things a lot clearer for me. I'm going to watch that documentary because tbh this is an issue I was completely unaware of until now and I'd like to explore it further.

To those posters who implied I have some sort of issue with people selling their clothes I hope you now realise that is absolutely not the case. I am merely engaging in a discussion and I actually find the topic quite interesting.

Advertisement