Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

recommend dog breeds for a toddler

• 03-02-2016 7:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭

Hello looking to get my daughter a friend in the summer ,she's starting to be afraid of dogs due to a really barky Jack russell dog in our neighbourhood and I know she's ok with my sister's dog who is super friendly , so I just want her to get a nice friend who won't grow too big medium to small height , and maybe a lazy breed if possible we do go for walks everyday our self but it's just a short walk .

And we are hoping if we get a dog to keep him inside ,I don't work btw

Comments

Hello looking to get my daughter a friend in the summer ,she's starting to be afraid of dogs due to a really barky Jack russell dog in our neighbourhood and I know she's ok with my sister's dog who is super friendly , so I just want her to get a nice friend who won't grow too big medium to small height , and maybe a lazy breed if possible we do go for walks everyday our self but it's just a short walk .

And we are hoping if we get a dog to keep him inside ,I don't work btw

It might be too big for you, but my kids were reared with retired a greyhound in the house. They are so placid and lazy! They just sleep, eat, go out to do their business and walk quietly beside buggy.(The dogs, that is, not the kids!!)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 215 ✭✭ceecee14

It might be too big for you, but my kids were reared with retired a greyhound in the house. They are so placid and lazy! They just sleep, eat, go out to do their business and walk quietly beside buggy.(The dogs, that is, not the kids!!)

Agree with that, a greyhound or lurcher probably the most kid friendly dog you can get. Do not get a small dog, sounds stupid but a bigger dog would be safer. At the end of the day, its how you rear the dog aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭celligraphy

I have actually heard great things about greyhounds/lurchers that they really are lazy pets and only Sprint , so might look into the local animal rescue for some already house trained dogs .

That's all I want is a friendly lazy pet

I have actually heard great things about greyhounds/lurchers that they really are lazy pets and only Sprint , so might look into the local animal rescue for some already house trained dogs .

That's all I want is a friendly lazy pet

You could have a look at this and get their advice. That's what we did. <snip>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

You could always use Peter Pan as an example?

The nurse in the story Nana is a Newfoundland. Look them up they are great with kids. We have a cross and his one mission in life is to be with small children and protect them. I wish we had young children for him to look after, our problem is he's very keen at finding other peoples kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭celligraphy

my3cents wrote:
    The nurse in the story Nana is a Newfoundland. Look them up they are great with kids. We have a cross and his one mission in life is to be with small children and protect them. I wish we had young children for him to look after, our problem is he's very keen at finding other peoples kids.

That has to be the cutest thing I have heard of all day, sounds like a sweetie, have you thought of making him visits kids hospitals if that's allowed ? , I just don't know whether to look for a rescue pup greyhound or an older one

That has to be the cutest thing I have heard of all day, sounds like a sweetie, have you thought of making him visits kids hospitals if that's allowed ? , I just don't know whether to look for a rescue pup greyhound or an older one

It's doubtful you'd get a rescue greyhound pup. They would only be available if there was something wrong with them. You could get one at around 2 years. They can live to 12 to 15 years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 215 ✭✭ceecee14

And I should just add that it's a myth that greyhounds and lurchers need to be walked for miles every day, as was said, they're actually a lazy dog and a normal stroll or run will do them, They spend most of the day lying down no matter how big the garden is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

He is cute but at 60kgs not all parents think that when he's running across the beach at their kids. If I see any children that we don't know on the beach (within half a mile) where we walk each day I have to pop him on the lead. He's not badly behaved but if children play with him he refuses to come back.

Newfoundlands are a lazy breed unless they are walking towards water but its a shame to keep them if they can't swim regularly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

I know someone who has a Maltichon - Maltese / bichon mix and they have 3 young kids from 12 months to 5 years and say its the best dog.

Only thing is the breed is quite needy and needs almost equal attention to a child and not great at being alone.

The plus side is they are quiet, very calm and very friendly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

King Charles Cavaliers are good with children too but a bit smaller than other breeds mentioned so far. Very affectionate dogs who are happy curled up sleeping most of the day but will be fine to take on your short walks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭liquoriceall

I have a basset hound and he adores being part of a family plus loves sleeping!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

celligraphy, where are you based? I might be able to point you in the right direction of a sighthound. :) Also, would you consider fostering with a view to adopt? It allows you to figure things out, how the dynamic in the house changes and if the dog/puppy is right for you, without making a full on commitment straight away.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

It's doubtful you'd get a rescue greyhound pup. They would only be available if there was something wrong with them. You could get one at around 2 years. They can live to 12 to 15 years.

Not. True. At. All! :confused: What makes you think that? And if it were true, what would make a 2 year old Greyhound in a rescue any better?

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

VonVix wrote: »
    Not. True. At. All! :confused: What makes you think that? And if it were true, what would make a 2 year old Greyhound in a rescue any better?

If the pups were not injured or had some other problem that prevented them running, they would be kept for racing!
    I mentioned 2 years old, because all the ones we have had (3 in all so far) we got at between 2 and 3 years old, when they had finished racing. They took to the house straight away and we even had other small dogs in that time and never had any problems with them living together!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

As someone who has 3 young kids and 3 sighthounds ( I have a saluki x, a greyhound and a whippet x) I can't recommend them enough as family pets. While they don't require a lot of exercise they do require at least 45 minutes a day although they will go for less but personally I don't think that would be fair. I have a great deal of experience with sighthounds and personally, if you are looking for the easy life I would go for an older dog as opposed to a greyhound pup. They can be a lot of work, like every other puppy. They don't get the laid back message until they are a bit older!! Greyhounds come in all shapes and sizes and I have had large, right down to small, although maybe not what some people would see as small! But lurchers come in all shapes and sizes and our whippet x is really tiny. He is so so gentle and absolutely excellent with my kids, adores them (they have been taught never to bother the dogs) Many lurchers come from halting sites originally where they are used to being around loads of kids and they can be great with them.

My recommendation would be to try to find a dog who has been in a foster home and already assessed. Sometimes the greyhounds, especially, coming directly from kennels or a racing environment with little or no experience of the outside world can take a bit longer to settle.

A couple of words of caution:

Some people have a pre-conceived idea that sighthounds are aggressive and will maul them or their dog, so you might have to develop a bit of a thick skin around thick people!!

Sighthounds by law must be on a lead in a public place so if you do want to eventually let your dog off lead for a run (and some are really not suitable for places that aren't fully enclosed, due to their hunting skills and lack of recall) then you need to choose carefully where you do so

Sighthounds are attractive to a certain type of person who is interested in them for their potential hunting skills or for breeding. These people often traverse the country in hi-ace vans and they will stop and ask questions about your dog and can be intimidating and some would think nothing of trying to steal your dog if the opportunity arose. Sighthounds are at high risk of being stolen and should never be left in a garden unattended when you go out, outside a shop, in a car etc.

Sighthounds are addicitive and you may end up with more than one!

Your sofa will never be your own again!

Good luck - hope it all works out and if you have any questions just ask

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

ceecee14 wrote: »
    Agree with that, a greyhound or lurcher probably the most kid friendly dog you can get. Do not get a small dog, sounds stupid but a bigger dog would be safer. At the end of the day, its how you rear the dog aswell

Contradiction there. Bigger dogs are safer? Really? But at the end of the day it is how you rear them? So which is it?

I have both big and small dogs. The small dogs are fantastic with my children one of which has a severe disability. There are lots of small breeds who make fantastic family pets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

OP how old is your daughter?
    Are you a "dog person" yourself?
    The personality/temprement of the dog is what really matters - regardless of his size - some dogs are perfect for kids, some hate the noise and the rough and tumble. Ive had terriers that LOVE children, and had some that were really bad with them.
    Great suggestion that you might FOSTER a dog to see how you all get on - with a view to adopt. We have dogs in our shelter that our shelter staff will advise you on their temprements, and how they deal with children/other dogs etc etc - shelters will match a dog to your family - its in their interests to home a dog where it will be a good match.
    The advantage of a puppy is that your daughter should be happy with a cute furry small dog, that grows with her. The disadvantage of a puppy is that they can play-bite/play-scratch which might make her nervous. The advantage of an older dog is that they are 'trained' and easier to manage as they have settled in to a home and routine. The disadvantage of an older dog is that you need to know what you are getting.
    If you do go to a shelter, spend a couple of afternoons taking the dog(s) for walks, sit with them and see how you/your daughter bonds with the dog. DONT make a snap decision based on one visit.
    Hopefully you are a dog-person, and will know what you are doing :) - bringing a dog into your home from a shelter, the dog will need very gentle handling as it settles, in a calm environment where his boundaries are set from day one.
    I believe that every child benefits from being reared with a dog - its so important to have that rapport with an animal. Studies have proven that dogs will improve a childs immune system!!! Will reduce stress/anxiety - handling and loving an animal. Its a win/win relationship!

Good luck - do your research - go visit shelters in your area - dont make a snap decision - the right dog is worth waiting for, and you will have years of company and love from the dog you choose!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Lots of advice on this thread that goes against everything I've been told about dogs and toddlers. OP if you want a dog yourself by all means go for it. However I would not be getting a dog for the benefit of a child until the child is a good few years older. Dogs and toddlers have always had very limited access to each other in my house.

A toddler is an alien species to a dog. They understand that small babies are small babies and older kids are people. Toddlers however make awkward and clumsy movements. Dogs don't know what these movements mean or what the child is trying to achieve. Toddlers are grabby and noisey and dogs find it very hard to read their body language. You would need a dog that is absolutely bomb proof for it to be spending excessive lengths of time in the company of a toddler and personally I don't believe there is such a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

I've had numerous dogs in this house with toddlers, both my own and fosters and I can't agree that they can't co-exist peacefully. However I have a zero tolerance approach in this house to the kids pestering the dogs and had to be very vigilant during the toddler years. Dogs have places they can go to escape loud noisy kids playing and I make use of baby gates. I think it would be a real shame to rule out a dog just because someone has a toddler but I do think there are certainly households with toddlers out there that aren't suitable for dogs rather than the dog not being suitable for the house if you know what I mean! The parents are the problem, not the dogs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Andso

I have a 2,4 & 7 yr old and got a springer puppy 7months ago. While my older 2 are good with dog my toddler is the best with him. She had no fear whatsoever and allowed the puppy to play without hurting her. The older 2 were jumpy, understandably so, but got nipped with his playful biting that all puppies do. The toddler would put her hand into dogs mouth and let him bite on it. It never hurt her cos she never pulled away. Now when toddler is out with dog their interaction is amazing to watch. Both are very gentle with each other , and dog will obey her 'sit' command on cue.
    All play with toddler and pup is supervised, never alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,875 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

We have a cavachon and he couldn't be better with the kids. The neighbours kids are always coming around to pet him. He's been pulled and poked and petted and never once has he snapped or barked. 25 minutes walk a day and he's happy out!! Right now he is unconscious on our couch...where he spends too much time!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

As someone who has been through the mill with dogs I can tell you this - no dog is suitable for a toddler.
    I have an 18 month old and with the most stringent training and discipline she is still a dogs worst nightmare. She squeals if our collie or my mothers foster greyhound walks past her, she constantly tries to feed them, she throws sporadic and unpredictable excorcist tantrums because the cheese slices are on the wrong shelf in the fridge or because Netflix skipped the intro music to the second episode of Sofia the First. Extremely stressful. Unfortunately for my poor Opie, he came into our lives when she was just 4 months old so I had no idea the torment he would have to endure. If I could go back I would never have gotten a dog. However, I do know that she will grow out of it in a while and that while is still a pretty minor timeframe in the grander scheme of a dogs lifespan.
    Tolerance and patience wise and fitting your other preferences though, a sighthound is near perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 galwaypaddy

Basset Hounds are brilliant with kids and love chilling at home I love my Basset.

Advertisement