Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mains powered smoke detectors going off randomly

• 03-02-2016 7:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭

Hi,

We moved into a new home 2 weeks ago and there are 2 mains powered smoke detectors. They started going off randomly as soon as we were moving our belongings into the house.

The only way to shut them off is by cutting their power at the fuse board. There is a dedicate fuse for the detectors.

Last night they went off at 2am when all the lights were off. The previous night it was 5 times in a row. They seem to be painted over so not easy to open.

Could it be dust or maybe an electrics problem ? Could there be a backup battery inside that's worn out ?

I'm thinking of just replacing them with battery powered ones.

Any advise/tips appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Probably need changing. If it were the battery you would be getting the chirp every 40-50 seconds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Are they the same manufacturer?

I've seen problems where ones from different manufacturers were linked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

Sounds like dust. Some of them are incredibly sensitive.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

They are most likely at the end of their life. I had the same issue a couple of years back, and it specifically happened on colder nights. See below info from another site, but replacement is the only way to go.
    1. Check batteries. Voltage drops with temperature.
    2. Check age on smoke detectors(as they get older they ionize less
    and less, so the sensing chamber drops faster with any type of
    dust/smoke/humidity). NFPA recommends replace every 10 years, but I
    was told replace at end of warranty period(some 5 years) under harsh
    conditions, since the company only guarantees it's function in the
    warranty period.
    3. Check for improper installation, if they are in colder rooms the
    air gets denser than the smoke detectors were 'designed' for. Meaning
    air at normal room temperature(68-75F) is less dense than air at 40F.
    Dense air can appear like less-dense air with smoke in it. So this
    creates for a false alarms.

When I replaced mine, it was a case of leaving the original electrical mount on the roof, then just slipping on the new unit. If you look at the below link, you may recognise your model. They should be able to be picked up in any decent electrical wholesaler.

http://www.eielectronics.com/product-selector/80-product-list/186-mains-powered-hard-wired-alarms.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

You wouldn't really want to just change them to battery units, that's a step backwards advice above is good

• Advertisement
Advertisement