Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IADT Phone Mast #Stopvodafonemast

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod- Thread moved to Dublin county south. Please read the local charter before posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

Joo0 wrote: »
    Have seen this doing the rounds on my Facebook. How do people think they can make calls, texts and use data? If they couldn't use their phone they'd be complaining Vodafone don't care about their customers,
    https://www.change.org/p/dún-laoghaire-institute-of-art-design-and-technology-save-our-community-from-the-proposed-vodafone-mobile-mast-at-dún-laoghaire-iadt?
    :mad:

Think they're giving out because the 'beam of highest intensity' falls on a primary school.
    When Vodafone put in a map with the planing application they used an old map from before the school was built. They also applied for planning permission on the first day of the school's summer break.

I know all this as my kids are in the school but tbh when you look up comreg there's actually masts everywhere anyway and they're probably no more dangerous that house Wi-Fi.

Will be interested to see what our resident planner Larbre34 has to say on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,666 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Has any (peer reviewed) study proven these are an issue yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

frash wrote: »
    Think they're giving out because the 'beam of highest intensity' falls on a primary school.
    When Vodafone put in a map with the planing application they used an old map from before the school was built. They also applied for planning permission on the first day of the school's summer break.

I know all this as my kids are in the school but tbh when you look up comreg there's actually masts everywhere anyway and they're probably no more dangerous that house Wi-Fi.

How long is the school there, when we're the osi maps updated and when did the planning go in

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I thought these objections didn't turn up in urban areas because the proliferation of masts meant that each one was relatively low power compared to ones in rural areas?
    astrofool wrote: »
    Has any (peer reviewed) study proven these are an issue yet?

Every study that has ever been done has found no public health threat but invariably they produce a report which ends with a cop-out which says that 'more study is needed' - nobody has the balls to come straight out to say there is no danger from mobile masts. Which then gives the anti-mast people the impetus to carry on and then they produce their own report from a 'professor' in Western Australia as 'conclusive' scientific research to 'prove' their case.

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »
    How long is the school there, when we're the osi maps updated and when did the planning go in

School there about 10 or 11 years.
    Planning went in last summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

This comes up a lot.

A) online petitions are a waste of everyones time. This is dealt with through the planning system. I dont know this site or application but someone mentioned it was submitted last summer, in which case its through the Council and Bord Pleanala (if it went that far) by now.

If it was granted, then nothing short of a judicial review will stop it, and even then it would have to challenge some aspect of the process rather than the substantive application.

B) this would not the be the first such application, i could identify for you a thousand such locations that most locals didnt even notice. As such, its not contentious from a planning point of view.

C) yes there are health concerns raised, but little evidence proving a cause and effect exists, so even though County Councillors love to hate them, masts like these are usually granted.

Larbre34 wrote: »

A) online petitions are a waste of everyones time. This is dealt with through the planning system.

Just on the petition - it's going to the IADT next to the school who own the building rather than the planning authority (where it would be a waste of time)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Just on the petition - it's going to the IADT next to the school who own the building rather than the planning authority (where it would be a waste of time)

If their budget for the year already includes projected income from the providers for locating the mast, they pretty much cannot change their minds. ITs were gouged for funding, they arent far off charging their kids for the toilets. So i still think its a waste of time.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

As someone who lives in the area, I welcome our new Signal increasing Mast! The Vodafone signal in the area can be shocking, Rarely have 3g and calls dropping

• Advertisement
Advertisement