Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wooden beer mug

Options
  • 03-02-2016 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Looking online at wooden beer mugs after watching the hobbit :)

They are priced about 15 dollars with the same in shipping. Anyone ever make one and how did it turn out or can they be bought in shops in the country?

Anyone want to make one??? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭imakebiodiesel

Ive made various types and sizes of coopered drinking vessels over the years. The one in the picture is called a canna and is quite big, about 5 pints. Ive also made noggins that have a handle formed by one stave extending up further than the others, Ill try to find a picture of one. These are smaller usually about a pint.
    cooper%20016_zpsk2yeunay.jpg
    I dont do this for a living so I cant help you but I reckon any wooden vessel at €15 isnt going to be watertight for very long.

Here is another type of wooden drinking vessel I made a few years ago. Its called a noggin and is made of cherry wood. cooper%20015_zpsyw6winwo.jpg

Ive always been fascinated by this type of wood work and taught myself the craft about 20 years ago. it doesnt have any commercial prospects but its utterly absorbing. I would be happy to share my limited knowledge with anyone interested in taking it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Kat1170

What kind of wood would be suitable for turning a mug.

TIA. Joe

Any pale coloured hardwood like sycamore , maple or beech. They will not impart any off flavours to the contents They are fairly close grained and should be easy to turn, Avoid oak , sweet chestnut , yew and any tropical woods.

Advertisement