Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VHI still charging me even though I didn't renew my policy

• 03-02-2016 8:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭

I noticed today that VHI are still taking monthly payments from my account even though I have not renewed my policy with them and I am now with Laya. I assumed, as with my car insurance, that my policy would lapse unless I decided to renew it myself. How wrong I was, I looked at the renewal letter they sent me way back in October and it says the following: Customers will be notified of their renewal at least 15 working days in advance and will have up to 14 days from their renewal date to amend or cancel their policy without penalty.

So, am I screwed here? I think it's an absolute disgrace that they can just automatically renew a customers contract without consent. I am certainly not paying for the next 10 months and am not paying a cancellation fee.

I'm really annoyed about this and would appreciate any advice as I know I'll probably get the run around when I have to ring them tomorrow.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Frasier

Hi

It's a joke alright. With them for years and always automatic renewal. I know someone who was getting grief off them for cancelling mid policy. He genuinely could pay no longer but they wouldn't listen. He just cancelled direct with bank and he heard no more. That was a few years ago so don't know how strict they are now. Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

Frasier wrote: »
    Hi

It's a joke alright. With them for years and always automatic renewal. I know someone who was getting grief off them for cancelling mid policy. He genuinely could pay no longer but they wouldn't listen. He just cancelled direct with bank and he heard no more. That was a few years ago so don't know how strict they are now. Good luck

Just cancel your direct debit. They will write threatening you but won't follow it up. You have no hope of a refund unfortunately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

The same thing happened to me. I called and complained. They switched me to a cheaper policy and refunded me the difference between what I had paid so far and the value of my new policy. I got the impression that they would have refunded the full amount if I had pressed them. It's essentially robbing money, taking money out of my account without permission. The guy on the phone was very pleasant and said he would raise it with management. If they get enough complaints then something might be done about it. You should push for a refund.This year I have moved to laya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Thanks guys, I don't understand how it can be legal to be honest, but they're doing it anyway! I'll ring this morning and push for a refund, if no joy then I am definitely cancelling my direct debit anyway.

Update: just rang them and got the usual spin about terms and conditions and how they wouldn't just "leave a customer without health insurance" blah blah....she was a nice lady but I just told her that it was absolutely ridiculous that they would automatically renew a policy without a customers consent and continue to take money from customers account.

She told me I could send an email to "appeal" it (haha) or I could cancel my direct debit (amazed she said this actually). That's what I'm gonna do anyway - cancel my direct debit right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭LostArt

leahyl wrote: »
    Thanks guys, I don't understand how it can be legal to be honest, but they're doing it anyway! I'll ring this morning and push for a refund, if no joy then I am definitely cancelling my direct debit anyway.

Update: just rang them and got the usual spin about terms and conditions and how they wouldn't just "leave a customer without health insurance" blah blah....she was a nice lady but I just told her that it was absolutely ridiculous that they would automatically renew a policy without a customers consent and continue to take money from customers account.

She told me I could send an email to "appeal" it (haha) or I could cancel my direct debit (amazed she said this actually). That's what I'm gonna do anyway - cancel my direct debit right now.

It is legal, unfortunately it's up to you to expressly cancel your health insurance or it'll auto renew. (This is the case for all the insurers)

Anyway as you already know, if you cancel the direct debit that'll be the end of it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

There is no difference with this than mobile phones, internet connection , TV packages etc. In fact if anything insurance policies are the exception to the rule here and it's because they keep changing the price every year.

LostArt wrote: »
    It is legal, unfortunately it's up to you to expressly cancel your health insurance or it'll auto renew. (This is the case for all the insurers)

Anyway as you already know, if you cancel the direct debit that'll be the end of it.

Only if you are paying by direct debit.....funny that! It's sneaky, even if it is legal. If they don't have access to your bank account and you don't renew then they don't bully you for money do they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Only if you are paying by direct debit.....funny that! It's sneaky, even if it is legal. If they don't have access to your bank account and you don't renew then they don't bully you for money do they?
    You were told in your renewal letter what to expect, but you didn't read it. I don't think that they were sneaky, but I think that you were careless.

The point about not wanting to leave people without insurance cover is an important one. If a health insurer automatically cancelled policies where people did not get in touch to renew, you can be sure that there would be many more complaints. What if a person were ill at renewal time, and unable to attend to such business?

That said, it might be a good thing if all health insurers in the market operated some form of transfer system to accommodate people switching.

You were told in your renewal letter what to expect, but you didn't read it. I don't think that they were sneaky, but I think that you were careless.

The point about not wanting to leave people without insurance cover is an important one. If a health insurer automatically cancelled policies where people did not get in touch to renew, you can be sure that there would be many more complaints. What if a person were ill at renewal time, and unable to attend to such business?

That said, it might be a good thing if all health insurers in the market operated some form of transfer system to accommodate people switching.

My dad has been with VHI for years and has never paid direct debit - they don't take money from him because they can't - if he doesn't renew his policy they are not going to automatically renew it if they have no way of getting paid for it - how does that make sense?? It's easy for them to renew a policy when it's direct debit because they have direct access to your bank account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭LostArt

It's easy for them to renew a policy when it's direct debit because they have direct access to your bank account.

which you have given them and which your renewal letter/documents state they will auto renew unless you cancel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Laya do this too. Normally switch policies at renewal time, so I have to contact Laya to inform them I have taken out a new policy, and to please cancel the old policy ask them to link the new policy to the old one for continuity of cover. Right pain in the ass every year. This year I contacted them before renewal and requested they send me a quote for flex 250 as well as my renewal policy. But of course all I got was the renewal notice, so I took out flex 250 from their website and it just happened they had a discount for new customers on the web at that time. Crazy set up if you ask me. I would have paid 10% more if they had quoted me as requested.

Advertisement