Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dental Nurse Trainee Position

• 03-02-2016 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hello,

I would very much like to become a Dental Nurse. I’ve been researching the position and from my previous work experience and my disposition, the role seems like it would be a perfect fit.

I've applied for a course in LYIT through the CAO but would love to work at the job before dishing out a couple of grand for a course, if a course would even be needed depending on the job training and contract offered. I've always found hands on experience has been the best way for me to learn. I have been searching for a vacancy Dental Nurse Trainee position mainly in Letterkenny, but honestly I would love anywhere up the north of Ireland or even the midlands. There seems to be no end of trainee positions in Dublin, Kildare or Cork however and I can’t make the move down south just yet.

My 2 queries are
    1). Am I going the right way to discover if I would be a good fit for the role and vice versa?
    2). Am I looking in the right places for Trainee Dental Nurse Positions in Letterkenny and the North of Ireland?

Any help you guys have would be greatly appreciated.

1). Am I going the right way to discover if I would be a good fit for the role and vice versa?

I have a very strong interest in becoming a Dental Nurse and believe I have all the capabilities required for the position. It is the career I would like to train for and follow. I have vast experience in the Customer Service and office/admin sector and in clerical work. I have excellent organisational skills and am people orientated. I am computer literate and have administrated on Social Media for other companies at various stages. I am a quick learner and an enthusiastic worker and a capable multi-tasker. I have a BA degree from GMIT, which incorporated modules such as Social Care, Health & Safety, Anatomy and Physiology & Developmental Psychology to name a few. As a result of the course, I am fully trained in First Aid and hold a valid Recreation level 3 certificate.
    At my work, wherever I’ve been, I am always upbeat and perform my role with a lot of passion. It helps when you enjoy your work or make it as positive a place as you can. The elements of my previous positions that I’ve excelled at and loved have been the social aspect of dealing, assisting and speaking with customers or clients, the administrative side of work and the organisational side of things. My previous customer service positions have always lacked that crucial element of variety, all bar my experience in the adventure activity sector a long time ago.

It for these reasons and from my research into the duties of a Dental Nurse, from speaking with dental nurses and my own personal experience at dental surgeries that I believe I would love the work itself and be quite good at it but for me to know for sure I’d have to give it a go and get stuck in.

Would anybody have similar stories or experiences they can share for when they’ve tried this and how it worked out for them?

2). Am I looking in the right places to apply for Trainee Dental Nurse Positions in Letterkenny and the North of Ireland?

The sites I’ve been reviewing are mainly 1). dentist.ie. 2). indeed.co.uk 3). totaljobs.com
    My other attempts have been to ask friends I know that work in those positions to hopefully keep an ear to the ground for me on possible vacancies. I’ve been checking local newspapers on the internet for possible ads as well but no luck so far.
    Would anyone in the know, know if I’ve been looking at the right sites or in the right places for trainee positions or are there ways I’ve unknowingly excluded in my search ?

Thank you for your help or any insights you can offer. I’m excited about the exploring this career option, am eager to getting started, hear your stories and learn more about the work.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Have you ever spent a day working in a dental practice? If not, approach your local dentist and ask if you can do a few days of work experience. If you haven't worked in that type of environment before you might find it does or does not suit you. They may also be able to advise you on local courses and positions. The more contacts you make, the more chance of getting work. Make sure you are on linked in too.

Advertisement