Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Treating my lady

Options
  • 03-02-2016 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

I'm looking for a nice hotel and a good restaurant nearby for a romantic weekend in Dublin. Money no object. Any recommendations? Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

caldew wrote: »
    I'm looking for a nice hotel and a good restaurant nearby for a romantic weekend in Dublin. Money no object. Any recommendations? Thanks

Shelbourne hotel and guibauds for dinner? The greenhouse for night two?

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/dubbr-the-shelbourne-dublin-a-renaissance-hotel/

http://restaurantpatrickguilbaud.ie/menus

http://www.thegreenhouserestaurant.ie/dinner.php

If you are more into wine than food, chapter ones winelist is the best outside of the kildare street club. They have a reasonably priced '99 margaux and its a great year:

http://www.chapteronerestaurant.com/menus/wine-list/

Only thing is its on Parnell Square so maybe a bit of a walk if you stay in the shelbourne.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 fioc

Westbury hotel and either peploe on the Green or Chapter one??

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Amuse restaurant on Dawson St is getting rave reviews.

If you're going for an expensive Hotel then the Shelbourne? Probably a marginally better spot than the Merrion, though they're a 5 min walk from each other. Tbh I wouldn't go to Gilbaud's, I've been once and even with money no object I found it impossible to justify the costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,821 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Skip the shelbourne. I stayed there last year and it's no great shake. Bedrooms are small and the bathroom was tiny with a pull down plastic seat in the shower and a plastic shower curtain like you'd see in a 1 star b+b. The water from the shower couldn't get away fast enough and went under the bathroom door on to the room carpet.

On a happier note we went to pichet for dinner and it was very good. Shanahan's on the green is also great for steaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Amuse restaurant on Dawson St is getting rave reviews.

If you're going for an expensive Hotel then the Shelbourne? Probably a marginally better spot than the Merrion, though they're a 5 min walk from each other. Tbh I wouldn't go to Gilbaud's, I've been once and even with money no object I found it impossible to justify the costs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Suite at the Intercontinental (formerly for The Four Seasons), bottle of Bollinger La Grande Année 2005 (no need to break the bank here €100 Champagne is as good as a €500 bottle IMHO). (BYOB IMHO after spending €795 per night!)

Restaurant Patrick Guilbaud - very reasonable M2* No wine recommendation here let them pair everything.

Nightlife to taste - very difficult to advise here. Personally I'd probably while away the hours in La Cave with pleasant conversation and a couple of bottles of Bollinger Special Cuvée but it's rather over priced in there.

Shouldn't set you back more than €2K for the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

The Marker Hotel at Grand Canal Square is something a bit special.
    You'd need a taxi into town, is the only thing, as it's not right in the centre

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Nandos?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Suite at the Intercontinental (formerly for The Four Seasons), bottle of Bollinger La Grande Année 2005 (no need to break the bank here €100 Champagne is as good as a €500 bottle IMHO). (BYOB IMHO after spending €795 per night!)

If money is no object and he wants to treat his lady friend, surely opting for the more expensive bottle is the way to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

http://www.chapteronerestaurant.com/menus/wine-list/

Only thing is its on Parnell Square so maybe a bit of a walk if you stay in the shelbourne.

If money is no issue, a proper chauffeur / limo etc.. will do!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭caldew

Thanks for all the replies.

Have booked Amuse restaurant as per recommendation.

I know I said money no object but hotels seem to be rip off prices. €550 for one night in the Shelbourne!!!!

Think I'll pay for a chauffeur home instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

mfceiling wrote: »
    Skip the shelbourne. I stayed there last year and it's no great shake. Bedrooms are small and the bathroom was tiny with a pull down plastic seat in the shower and a plastic shower curtain like you'd see in a 1 star b+b. The water from the shower couldn't get away fast enough and went under the bathroom door on to the room carpet.

You need to bump up to the snazzier rooms to get the proper Shelbourne experience.

Only time I stayed there was in a suite and it was pretty sweet!

The bathroom was as big as some flats I've lived in!

If money is no object and he wants to treat his lady friend, surely opting for the more expensive bottle is the way to go?

Meh, not worth wasting money though! On that note - the Pol Roger White foil will save you about €16 over the Bollinger in La Cave.

Personally though I'd take a helicopter to Mount Juliet and spend the weekend there!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Dublin Airport - private jet ....sunsoaked destination of her choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

albert-finney-daddy-warbucks.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Twenty10

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,627 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

caldew wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies.

Have booked Amuse restaurant as per recommendation.

I know I said money no object but hotels seem to be rip off prices. €550 for one night in the Shelbourne!!!!

Think I'll pay for a chauffeur home instead.

So money was an object after all!

Why did you lie to us? We put effort into our recommendations. Penny for the babby sir.

Right all joking aside, it's very difficult to make a suggestion without knowing what you're tastes are but if it was me:

Marco Pierre White steakhouse on Dawson Street, a couple of bars in that area and then La Cave once it started to get a bit later.

I live in Dublin, so I'm not so up on the hotels but maybe try and get a nice B&B in D4 rather than splash out on a hotel?

Seriously though, if you do want a posh dirty weekend, I can't recommend Mount Juliet highly enough. The riding seems to have taken a turn for the worst (pun intended) with some sort of change to their insurance, hopefully they change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭caldew

Thanks for all the input. In the end went to Amuse Restaurant on Dawson Street. Amazing experience. Went for the Paris to Toyko menu. 10 courses of incredible food with a matching wine for each course. Highly recommend.

And a chauffeur driven merc home. sorted.

Advertisement