Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with electricity bill

Options
  • 03-02-2016 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

I live in a one Bed flat and my electricity bills are usually around €160 per two
    Months. I always thought this was high and suspected something else was wired to us because we have no washer or dryer (laundry room) and the only things running are lights, computers, oven, immersion, iron etc. However they cancelled the central heating (was controlled for the whole block) and installed electric radiators - and my bill this month is €650!!!! Fair enough I turned on the heating a bit but it's only two radiators and they have screens i set to timer mode. I always suspected the immersion (hands up- we leave it on sometimes) was the killer but now I see the radiators are costing huge money. Is this normal??? My husband warned me they cost a lot but I figured I'd rather pay the extra money to be warm... But didn't think it'd be this much!! I think over €300 for a small apartment is crazy. Has electricity gone up a lot? Or is it the case that I just need to be really frugal with the appliances? I have no scope to fit new ones as a renter

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

To give you an idea. Three of us in a standard 3bed and our electricity bills are ~50 EUR on average per month. Varies a little depending on time of year but averages about the same each month. That includes a dryer load every second day.
    Our heating is via gas and averages about the same (40-50) each month throughout the year.

80 EUR per month for a one bed flat does seem expensive but not overly expensive.

Can you provide more details - type of lighting, type of TV, the immersion is on for how long each day?

Are you bills estimated or have they read the meter? Do you pay by 'level pay' perhaps?

Have you tried switching everything off and watching your meter to see if your meter is still turning? If it's not, at least you know it's something in your apartment causing the high usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Are they storage heaters or panel heaters(pic would help)
    Is there a night rate Esb meter now fitted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

Thanks for the replies. They are panel heaters not storage. Not sure how to post a pic. They have a little screen I can set to timer mode or manual, and can select te tenperature. They have an eco mode as well so can leave them on (or so I though!) and they only kick in if the tenperature drops below 18 degrees or whatever. We only have two- one in sitting room and one in bedroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Sala wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. They are panel heaters not storage. Not sure how to post a pic. They have a little screen I can set to timer mode or manual, and can select te tenperature. They have an eco mode as well so can leave them on (or so I though!) and they only kick in if the tenperature drops below 18 degrees or whatever. We only have two- one in sitting room and one in bedroom.

What is the model and brand? Can you check what wattage they are? It should be written on the back...something like 2kw or 2000watt maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

If your bill is ~€500 more because of these electric heaters, then assuming they're 2kW each and the unit price is 15c, they'd have to be on for 13 hours a day to make up the difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Have you spoken to the other residents in the block? What are their bills like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Is your 650 bill estimated or was the meter read?

Advertisement