Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Utility bills at end of tenancy

Options
  • 03-02-2016 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

If a tenant is moving out of a property, what is the situation with utility bills if they are already in their name?
    Take for example gas and electricity, I assume they just phone the providers and tell them I am moving out on the last day of contract etc?
    From a landlords perspective, what does he/she need to do so that they can easily re-connect post tenancy and also not get lumbered with bills from tenants time?
    The bill will likely return to the landlords name once the tenancy is up/before the next tenant will move out etc.
    Similarly, what is the situation with water if it is also in tenant’s name.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

job124hunt wrote: »
    If a tenant is moving out of a property, what is the situation with utility bills if they are already in their name?
    Take for example gas and electricity, I assume they just phone the providers and tell them I am moving out on the last day of contract etc?
    From a landlords perspective, what does he/she need to do so that they can easily re-connect post tenancy and also not get lumbered with bills from tenants time?
    The bill will likely return to the landlords name once the tenancy is up/before the next tenant will move out etc.
    Similarly, what is the situation with water if it is also in tenant’s name.

We would normally get tenant to ring utility company while we are with them . Agree readings and Switch bill to landlords name temporarily and get outstanding bill sent to old tenant at new address

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

My current landlord was left with a large ESB bill as well as unpaid rent by his previous tenants and thought he had to pay.. He knows differently now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Graces7 wrote: »
    My current landlord was left with a large ESB bill as well as unpaid rent by his previous tenants and thought he had to pay.. He knows differently now.

That can only be done if the ESB bill was in his ( the landlords ) name. If the tenant , in the normal case takes over the bill for the tenancy duration, then any unpaid amount becomes the responsibility of the tenant not the landlord or the next tenant.

What is a risk, is that if the next tenant does not register for the ESB in the property , then the ESB will instigate a cut-off of the supply , and they seem to be quite aggressive in doing so in my experience , waiting less then 4 weeks from previous tenant departure.

Advertisement