Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Experiences with diabetic dog?

• 03-02-2016 10:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭

I've been at the vet's today and my elderly dog is diagnosed with diabetes. I have to inject her daily with insulin from now on.
    The vet was very good to show me how and I think I can manage it. I have to, and I will.

My dog (beagle x) is about 12/13 years old (she's a rescue so I don't know for sure).

Is diabetes a sign at her age that she won't make it long anymore?
    Could she live for some more years with lifelong insulin injections?

In short, did anone out there have (or had) a dog with diabetes and can me tell more about their experiences?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

I have worked with a number of diabetic dogs, one of them was 16 years old. No problems as long as they get their injections on time. They tend to have a strict diet (no treats, only their own meals) for the rest of their lives.

All in all, no problems, their lives are a little more strict on routine than they were before... well more like your life really! :) If anything it will affect you more than your dog, and make sure to keep that insulin in the fridge, otherwise you will need to buy a new batch! :P

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

VonVix wrote: »
    I have worked with a number of diabetic dogs, one of them was 16 years old. No problems as long as they get their injections on time. They tend to have a strict diet (no treats, only their own meals) for the rest of their lives.

All in all, no problems, their lives are a little more strict on routine than they were before... well more like your life really! :) If anything it will affect you more than your dog, and make sure to keep that insulin in the fridge, otherwise you will need to buy a new batch! :P

Thank you :).
    The no treats policy will be a problem :o, but I want her to live.
    You are right, it will affect me more than her probably. Being strict is not my strong point, especially when she begs for treats.

The vet advised me to keep the insulin in the fridge and supplied me with a batch of syringes. He was very good, by the way.

I'm still a bit worried.

Carry wrote: »
    Thank you :).
    The no treats policy will be a problem :o, but I want her to live.
    You are right, it will affect me more than her probably. Being strict is not my strong point, especially when she begs for treats.

The vet advised me to keep the insulin in the fridge and supplied me with a batch of syringes. He was very good, by the way.

I'm still a bit worried.

Generally I don't like using syringes more than once for hygiene reasons. And I always make sure the dog eats just before giving the injection, I believe you're not supposed to give a dog the injection on an empty stomach and some dogs can be put off their food if they get upset by the process of being given the injection.

Your pooch will be fine, it's just you who has to adjust. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

The vet told me to give the injection shortly before I feed her?
    I've had a diabetic friend who shot herself before a meal. But then she was human.

Hmm. I'll try before doggie's meal and see how it goes.
    I have to call the vet anyway on Friday to tell him if the amount of insulin is right for her.

Thanks again for reassurance. It's really me who is nervous...

Carry wrote: »
    The vet told me to give the injection shortly before I feed her?
    I've had a diabetic friend who shot herself before a meal. But then she was human.

Hmm. I'll try before doggie's meal and see how it goes.
    I have to call the vet anyway on Friday to tell him if the amount of insulin is right for her.

Thanks again for reassurance. It's really me who is nervous...

I have always done it beforehand incase the experience puts them off their food, or even given them a few bites to eat, injected them and then let them finish off the rest as a 'treat' for going through the discomfort of getting injected. It might be different for different dogs, but the ones I have dealt with have been poor eaters. Go with your vet though!

• Advertisement
Advertisement