Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hollywoodrath, Hollystown, Dublin 15

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 rongeremy

Tom__jnr2 wrote: »
    Go to property price register and put all into excel and the increase can be easily seen.

350k is a lot of money but at the end is 1300e mortgage v 2000e rent. If you do not like it you sell it and move on.

A lot of buyers in places like Hollywoodrath are bringing a fair bit of equity with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Simple, demand is going up so the price is going up.....

Originally when they started to sell the place looked a mess, you look at it now with park/playground etc they will sell the houses easier....

It is not like we haven't seen this before.....while people will continue to buy the house the builder will continue to raise the prices.....

You might hold out saying you are not going to pay 350k, issue is next person will walk in and hand them the money....

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Simple, demand is going up so the price is going up.....

Originally when they started to sell the place looked a mess, you look at it now with park/playground etc they will sell the houses easier....

It is not like we haven't seen this before.....while people will continue to buy the house the builder will continue to raise the prices.....

You might hold out saying you are not going to pay 350k, issue is next person will walk in and hand them the money....

Heard mentality :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Hypnoticca

Hey guys, what do you think, how long it will take them to find another building constructor as MDY has stopped their works on the site? We were ready to put a deposit at the end of this month and now nobody can tell us how long it will take them to open a new phase.
    Another concern is that the price will increase with a new building constructor and we won't be able to afford 4 bed anymore.
    Does anyone hear any news?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Hypnoticca wrote: »
    Hey guys, what do you think, how long it will take them to find another building constructor as MDY has stopped their works on the site? We were ready to put a deposit at the end of this month and now nobody can tell us how long it will take them to open a new phase.
    Another concern is that the price will increase with a new building constructor and we won't be able to afford 4 bed anymore.
    Does anyone hear any news?

I don't think anyone can tell you how long it'll take to appoint a new builder to be honest - Lots and lots of permutations sitting behind that. Maybe someone buys up the business and its operation and gets back going in a week, or maybe it goes sheets to the wind and they need to do a full tender process.

What I would say is that the trend is certainly for houses generally to rise in value; and you're betting about where the market will be in a year or more (there could be a slowdown or a crash equally, who knows). The question is really where your financial appetite is and if you can lock in a price for a booking deposit now, that's possibly more meaningful to you than getting into a place in 3 months vs 18 months.

• Advertisement

Nijmegen wrote: »
    I don't think anyone can tell you how long it'll take to appoint a new builder to be honest - Lots and lots of permutations sitting behind that. Maybe someone buys up the business and its operation and gets back going in a week, or maybe it goes sheets to the wind and they need to do a full tender process.

What I would say is that the trend is certainly for houses generally to rise in value; and you're betting about where the market will be in a year or more (there could be a slowdown or a crash equally, who knows). The question is really where your financial appetite is and if you can lock in a price for a booking deposit now, that's possibly more meaningful to you than getting into a place in 3 months vs 18 months.

If there's no clarity on when building will start again and what the price will be, in other words, if I cannot secure a house contractually I'll need to pull out. Its getting closer to Christmas and the upheaval is hard enough without the added uncertainty.

rongeremy wrote: »
    If there's no clarity on when building will start again and what the price will be, in other words, if I cannot secure a house contractually I'll need to pull out. Its getting closer to Christmas and the upheaval is hard enough without the added uncertainty.

Yeah, totally see your point. The developer needs to provide some clarity ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Bargain_Hound

High Court places construction firm involved in building of social housing into examinership http://jrnl.ie/4247236

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Go to property price register and put all into excel and the increase can be easily seen.

350k is a lot of money but at the end is 1300e mortgage v 2000e rent. If you do not like it you sell it and move on.

Property price register tells me people are overpaying for everything and no more at the moment.

Hollywoodrath will be a few years of maturing before I'd consider it at those prices. It's in the shadow of a load of industrial estates, no shop within walking distance , no good public transport for the area as yet etc. It has a Lidl and SuperValu within short enough driving distance at least, and decent schools, but that's not to say it's worth it. Nice houses and all that they are

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

There's plenty of shops within walking distance though. The 40D is just up the road which has a reasonably regular service. Obviously this all depends on the side of the estate you buy in.

• Advertisement

Weepsie wrote: »
    Property price register tells me people are overpaying for everything and no more at the moment.

Hollywoodrath will be a few years of maturing before I'd consider it at those prices. It's in the shadow of a load of industrial estates, no shop within walking distance , no good public transport for the area as yet etc. It has a Lidl and SuperValu within short enough driving distance at least, and decent schools, but that's not to say it's worth it. Nice houses and all that they are

It is a 5 walk from the estate to the Lidl/Supervalu. Why would you need to drive? 10 min at the most at top of estate, want to be seriously lazy not to walk that

I know Tyrellstown not the greatest spot to get involved with but it has a lot of amentities in the little shopping area. Chemists/take wayas etc all within easy access.

The irish schools are in the area which is a huge bonus. Both the primary and secondary are new school with huge investment. That alone is worth a serious few quid...

You don't need Property price register to tell you people are overpaying. It is the same with every house in the Dublin area. At least Hollywoodrath has a decent school in area and they seem to be doing up the estate very nicely with play grounds etc....

I don't live in it either, I just pass by it, I have seen some real sh*t holes been developed around Dublin, at least with Hollywoodrath they seem to have made it decent

It is a 5 walk from the estate to the Lidl/Supervalu. Why would you need to drive? 10 min at the most at top of estate, want to be seriously lazy not to walk that

I know Tyrellstown not the greatest spot to get involved with but it has a lot of amentities in the little shopping area. Chemists/take wayas etc all within easy access.

The irish schools are in the area which is a huge bonus. Both the primary and secondary are new school with huge investment. That alone is worth a serious few quid...

You don't need Property price register to tell you people are overpaying. It is the same with every house in the Dublin area. At least Hollywoodrath has a decent school in area and they seem to be doing up the estate very nicely with play grounds etc....

I don't live in it either, I just pass by it, I have seen some real sh*t holes been developed around Dublin, at least with Hollywoodrath they seem to have made it decent

I'd agree with the assessment. Even in the big snow Tyrrelstown was accessible on foot (the off license bravely opened). Unlike the old days, there's schools already in place; you can hear the kids in the yard from the estate at break time. There's a petrol station around the corner in Hollystown and then there's a couple of the big late night new service stations within easy striking distance.

Yes it's up near a lot of industrial estates and there's lots more development to come - Amazon are developing a data center nearby soon for example - but I'm not sure that's a bad thing personally. Depends on your taste if you'd rather be driving past the Clonsilla Inn vs an office block a few minutes from your house and if that's a deal breaker for you. Lots of jobs nearby. I worked in Ballycoolin for years and the thoughts of being within walking distance of a lot of it, or biking distance or a very short drive, is no downside.

It's not as well developed as moving in to a house down off the Clonsilla road, and it's probably never going to be quite like that area. But modern homes (wherever you buy, a brand new A rated home is a big difference coming from the generally C rated or worse stuff we're used to), great road connections, shops nearby, schools, I'd say it's far from a wasteland and indeed is very livable. The main downside is the planes going over, and if you can get used to that (in the houses it's fine, but your garden will get loud if you like sitting in it during the summer) I have to remark it's pretty good.

I'd agree with the assessment. Even in the big snow Tyrrelstown was accessible on foot (the off license bravely opened). Unlike the old days, there's schools already in place; you can hear the kids in the yard from the estate at break time. There's a petrol station around the corner in Hollystown and then there's a couple of the big late night new service stations within easy striking distance.

Yes it's up near a lot of industrial estates and there's lots more development to come - Amazon are developing a data center nearby soon for example - but I'm not sure that's a bad thing personally. Depends on your taste if you'd rather be driving past the Clonsilla Inn vs an office block a few minutes from your house and if that's a deal breaker for you. Lots of jobs nearby. I worked in Ballycoolin for years and the thoughts of being within walking distance of a lot of it, or biking distance or a very short drive, is no downside.

It's not as well developed as moving in to a house down off the Clonsilla road, and it's probably never going to be quite like that area. But modern homes (wherever you buy, a brand new A rated home is a big difference coming from the generally C rated or worse stuff we're used to), great road connections, shops nearby, schools, I'd say it's far from a wasteland and indeed is very livable. The main downside is the planes going over, and if you can get used to that (in the houses it's fine, but your garden will get loud if you like sitting in it during the summer) I have to remark it's pretty good.

I know why the office licenses stayed open, busiest time of the year because you could do f**k all else but drink :D

I lived in house in Clonsilla village in early 2000 and believe me we had very little. It was fields from Clonsilla to clonee. Can you

I spent many years in Roselawn, excellent location but I had to bring the house down to bring it up to current standard. Believe me that wasn't cheap. Roselawn had everything but then again it took 30 years for it to get to that setup.....

Yes a few industrial estates up around Hollywoodrath but most are IT companies etc so hardly going to have issues around smells etc....what it does mean is you have great acess in & out. I go past the estate most days as I can get out onto M50 really quickly from hollywoodrath, then I crawl the rest of the way :p

Clonsilla and Ongar are now a disaster to get in & out of because they never put in the roads before they built the houses.......

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Tom__jnr2

Weepsie wrote: »

Only overpaying if you do not calculate it. So, assume the house cost 400k and your rent is 1500euro. If you decide to wait 5 years to check if you would overpay now. That would equal to 12 months x 1500 Euro x 5 years. It is 90k you will have paid to someone else.
    If in 5 years the house is worth more them 310k you still better off.

Only overpaying if you do not calculate it. So, assume the house cost 400k and your rent is 1500euro. If you decide to wait 5 years to check if you would overpay now. That would equal to 12 months x 1500 Euro x 5 years. It is 90k you will have paid to someone else.
    If in 5 years the house is worth more them 310k you still better off.

Well, minus the interest on the mortgage. But yes, buying can be a good hedge against inflation over the very long term (to smooth out the medium term boom bust cycle)

There's still no update or movement in Hollywoodrath. Its time to pull out.

As someone working in a tech company in Ballycoolin for an awful long time, the estate was perfect for a summer cycle to work and I also have transport so everything was good.

Prices will continue to go up whilst waiting for a new builder so it doesn't work no more to wait.

Houses closer to Clonsilla such as Beechwood and Hansfield are pricier than Hollywoodrath for less square meter-age because of the train station, even if you don't use or won't need to use the train so hard for me personally to justify an extra €40/€50k for the equivalent house type.

I wonder how many people have signed contracts and can't get in to completed houses because roads are not complete in the estate. In addition I would wonder how many people are on lists, waiting to secure a home and in limbo as to the escalating cost that a new builder will pass on to the developer and the developer will pass to the house buyer.

There's still no update or movement in Hollywoodrath. Its time to pull out.

Little bit further out and no Dublin bus but a housing estate been build in Kilbride village.....the builder is working hard on it at the moment.

The 5 bed house looks to be similar price to hollywoodrath...might be option

Little bit further out and no Dublin bus but a housing estate been build in Kilbride village.....the builder is working hard on it at the moment.

The 5 bed house looks to be similar price to hollywoodrath...might be option

Do you happen to know the name of the development?

Priestown, Kilbride I think.

Not just no Dublin Bus, there's no bus service at all as far as I know.

Can't find anything online to inquire.

• Advertisement

They're still only doing ground works, it'll be a while before they go on the market I'd say.

Hurrache wrote: »
    They're still only doing ground works, it'll be a while before they go on the market I'd say.

Foundations in....

They have a estate agent, I contacted a while ago and put my name down. I cant find email now. Will check and come back

Boom....found it

Priestown is name of estate

> Thank you for your email. There will be 19 houses in this development. As of yet pricing and release dates have not been confirmed. When we have everything confirmed we will be sending out a pack with information. It will be the end of September when a show house will be opened. If you like when all details are confirmed I can forward them onto you?
    >
    tormeylee@dng.ie

Reckon they'll be high end houses.

No idea....I think it mentioned on sign 3,4,5 bed houses

There's a few high end, small number developments going on out that way. This 750k development for example a little further out past Kilbride. Nicer to see than single houses on big plots, in one sense. Country living, housing estate life...?

There's a few high end, small number developments going on out that way. This 750k development for example a little further out past Kilbride. Nicer to see than single houses on big plots, in one sense. Country living, housing estate life...?

Very nice - serious poke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Hypnoticca

Hey, MC Peake agency sent us an email saying that there is no release planned this year.
    The next release of three and four bedroom semi detached properties will now take place in early 2019.

Well that's that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Hey folks - I have read through this thread multiple times the last few months while we were waiting to go for one of these houses, got a great bit of information out of it I must say! My wife and I secured a 4 bed at the end of August and signed off on our contracts last week. I emailed KnightFranck today about the MDY Construction issue and has been told the following:
    Regency, the development managers of Hollywoodrath, have advised that they were informed that an examiner had been appointed to MDY Construction Ltd., who were the building contractor previously on site in Hollywoodrath.

Regency then made a decision to appoint a new building contractor to complete the construction programme on site in order to minimise any delay to the completion of construction on site.

The new building contractor is in the process of reviewing MDY’s previous building schedule and will submit their updated completion timeline’s for all the remaining units in the next 10 days.

We do not anticipate the completion timeline for your unit should be affected as it was proposed for a February / March completion date but the units sold previously with completion dates before the end of the year may need to be altered.

I will let you know if there are any further updates provided for your house in the coming weeks.

So we'll know more in the next 2 weeks but looks to be no delay affects to our new build. This explains why the proposed 48 houses to be released initially was cut down to 10 (4 and 5 beds only - we got 1 of the 2 remaining A1 builds).

Advertisement