Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you not like about London?

Options
  • 04-02-2016 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭

Thought this might be interesting. Apologies if done before, search showed nothing.

So, what are the downsides of living in London? What p*sses you off?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

The commute.
    The house prices.
    The rental market.

To be honest it becomes a little tougher to come up with more after those 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Here's four.

Lack of Continental Drinking hours, the self-proclaimed great metropolis is mostly a dead zone after 12pm.

Too big, I consider the real London to be in Zones 1-3, come on, what's the point of Hounslow or Croydon?

Insular End-of-the-line, all roads lead here mentality, some people think Birmingham is 'up North'.

Boring accent. Much prefer the mellifluous tones of our Celtic cousins or a warm, friendly Northern English accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

The Tube or more specifically the people on the tube!

Its why I have bought a bike recently to commute to work...............I now hate London drivers and pedestrians!

Add to that the fact I could get a mortgage on two 3bed houses at home with the rent I pay for a double room here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

frag420 wrote: »
    I now hate London drivers

They don't indicate. It does my head in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Actually, I dislike cyclists too.

The 1% that disregard the rules of the road just because they're on a bike have tainted my opinion of all cyclists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

Woden wrote: »
    They don't indicate. It does my head in.

Better not come home so :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

frag420 wrote: »
    The Tube or more specifically the people on the tube!
    +1 to this - I can either get the Northern line or the bus to work, and at the moment (33 weeks pregnant) I'm finding the bus much more comfortable even if it takes a little longer. Much easier to get a seat.

I'll also add trying to pass my driving test here, feels like a bloody crapshoot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

S.M.B. wrote: »
    The commute.
    The house prices.
    The rental market.

To be honest it becomes a little tougher to come up with more after those 3.

The traffic
    The sheer volume of people
    canary wharf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

canary wharf

Why Canary Wharf?

Why Canary Wharf?

it's just too busy. it really is an ant hill. If we were smaller we'd be clambering over each other...and it's full of absolute w*nkers.

• Advertisement

it's just too busy. it really is an ant hill. If we were smaller we'd be clambering over each other...and it's full of absolute w*nkers.

No damn canaries either!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Just the cost of the biggest expenses. Rent and commute.
    Anywhere else in england and I'd be loaded. In London its just enough.

When you think about the cost of things before income tax its insane.
    Assuming 30% average tax and NI its about 20k of my salary just to cover those two things.

I honestly don't know how anyone on low incomes survive here especially if they want to settle down and have a family.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I don't mind the driving now but it was an adjustment at first. They're just rude. You have to be a bit of a pr!ck yourself or else you won't be getting out of the junction. MrsTeal is having a terrible time learning.

House prices are just insane. We're actually looking to buy now (wedding debt finally gone!) but areas I've been keeping an eye on have increased by 60k+ in the last 10-12 months - and by all accounts I don't even live in proper London!

Other than that, still enjoying the crap out these few years. I know for a fact I'll be complaining about a lot more issues when we move back in a year or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Parking inspectors - always there on the busiest streets at the busiest times including outside my local hospital preying on the most vulnerable - blood sucking parasites.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Alcoheda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Just moved back and on my first Friday night here and got reminded of a few of the things I hated, wanted to catch up with mate who lives in different area (me south at the main him west) we had to go to pimilico area because only part anyway convenient for us both. End up in overly bright, overly expensive bar that closes early and no free late bars unless we walk to vaxhual and then have long trek home.
    I just don't think its actually a very liveable city unless you've got wealth and a lot of places seem nearly as good but so much easier (yes you can do anything u want in London but its probably going to be a bitch of a commute so you will do it once then never again), could never stay here long term. I think you can sort of see this in action if you go to Berlin and hear the amount of well off\trustafarians "creative" types with southern English accents.

That said I do like the place in a strange way because just ended back here it has so much going on if you make the effort
    S.M.B. wrote: »
    Actually, I dislike cyclists too.

The 1% that disregard the rules of the road just because they're on a bike have tainted my opinion of all cyclists.

When I was cycling the last time I grew to hate London cyclists as a cyclist too which was a new experience!

I hate cyclists breaking the rules, but every time i take out a boris bike i feel like im almost forced to break the rules. Thats due to the actions of cars and other cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 huggles85

For me its the feeling that you are forever planning something.

Wanna see your friend from Uni? Email them and get it in the diary for next month. Yes next month, cause nobody's free right now.

Wanna get to work? Factor in that time in your diary for the space between work and the deep black hole that is your commute.

Why is there no food in the fridge? Yep, gotta factor that walk into your day to go get some groceries. Oh wait, its 1 am and your drunk. Everything's closed.

Wanna go for lunch with that mate you arranged to see last month? Factor in that hour you need to get to some overpriced cafe halfway between where you both live.

I remember once I desperately needed some cellotape and couldn't find any on my local highstreet. It meant commuting. For cellotape.
    At that point I left. For a little while.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

I agree on the planning. I came back in the new year thinking ok there's not much on at the moment up until April. That's great. Then a few things pop in the calendar and then bang suddenly its flat out and some one is looking to visit and it's hang on and I check my bloody calendar. I'm as guilty of the next person of this.

Things seems a bit more relaxed when I go home. Heading out for a bit lunch. Yo old school friend i'm down here fancy a drink? Yeah sure I'll grab a cab and be there 20mins no problem

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

The word 'innit'.

ISN'T IT WHAT?!

• Advertisement

Scarinae wrote: »
    The word 'innit'.

ISN'T IT WHAT?!

wot u talkin about bruv.

Scarinae wrote: »
    The word 'innit'.

ISN'T IT WHAT?!
    wot u talkin about bruv.

"ooooh my days!"

ya feel me?

i don't mind those tbh, every place, every city in every country, every language has its own and they just add to the cities and towns they're from.

definitely agree some overuse them waaay too much

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

1. Housing - What is going on with the housing market in the south east is nothing short of a scandal. Successive governments should be ashamed of themselves

2. Commute - I get the northern line from Clapham. Most mornings I need to go south before I can go north. Invariably someone will collapse from the crush on a train in front and my Bank train will be diverted to Charing Cross. This means I will be forced to change at Kennington and have to watch multiple trains go by due to the crowds or go to Waterloo and try and get the Waterloo and City line which is always fun!! And before anyway says it I will not cycle because I value my life too much. I drive in London and see first hand the lunacy of drivers (especially bus drivers) and cyclists. My 30 minute door to door commute usually takes 1hr 10 in the morning. I dont so much mind the time but the horrendous crowds are difficult to deal with every morning

Apart from those two issues I do love London and cant see myself living anywhere else for many years. I do resent being forced to make a choice between living in affordable accommodation or having a short commute. It seems like you either pay insane prices to stay in London or spend your life on a train. I have two small kids I do like seeing most days so for the time being I have to put up with insane rents and prevented from getting on the housing ladder where I live.

Playboy wrote: »
    1. Housing - What is going on with the housing market in the south east is nothing short of a scandal. Successive governments should be ashamed of themselves

London's biggest housing issue is their refusal to build up instead of out.

They need a lot of Affordable QUALITY apartment buildings. I dont like using the word "Affordable" when it comes to housing as an affordable apartment block will quickly turn into a slum.

They need a lot of quality apartment blocks. Initially they will be expensive but as demand is met the price will stabilise and reduce to become affordable.

I also think to remove some congestion from the tubes they should run express bus services from major commuter zones into London city.

Im moving to Finchley soon where my commute "should" be 35 minutes door to door on the northern line. The best estimated time for the buses is 77 minutes with 45 stops! So obviously ill be taking the tube.

Im sure TFL have the statistics of where best to put the express services but i doubt you would have any trouble filling buses every 5-10 minutes from clapham, ealing, finchley etc into London city especially in the morning rush.

wot u talkin about bruv.

Yo Fam, you coming to my yard tonight fam?

London's biggest housing issue is their refusal to build up instead of out.

They need a lot of Affordable QUALITY apartment buildings. I dont like using the word "Affordable" when it comes to housing as an affordable apartment block will quickly turn into a slum.

They need a lot of quality apartment blocks. Initially they will be expensive but as demand is met the price will stabilise and reduce to become affordable.

I also think to remove some congestion from the tubes they should run express bus services from major commuter zones into London city.

Im moving to Finchley soon where my commute "should" be 35 minutes door to door on the northern line. The best estimated time for the buses is 77 minutes with 45 stops! So obviously ill be taking the tube.

Im sure TFL have the statistics of where best to put the express services but i doubt you would have any trouble filling buses every 5-10 minutes from clapham, ealing, finchley etc into London city especially in the morning rush.

There is an abundance of quality apartment buildings being built but the issue is that they are marketed to the international market as investor properties. Apartments and homes regularly go on sale in Asia and sell out before London buyers even get an opportunity to bid.

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2014/oct/04/-sp-british-homes-marketed-hong-kong-first-time-buyers-galliard

It doesnt help that most new builds are horribly pokey as builders try and maximise revenue by building lots of small properties instead of properties that are livable for families. I went to see a two bed new build apartment in Balham recently and they were looking for £700k plus for a small apartment with no garden, no parking and no storage. Its fine to live in as a single person or couple who needs somewhere to live for a year or two but is totally unsuitable for anyone looking for a home.

Controls need to be tightened up so that suitable homes are built for families, individuals and couples who plan on living somewhere long term. They can do this by introducing some regulations around room size, outside space, storage space, parking etc. The government needs to stop the exploitation of the housing crisis by builders and investors who are only interested in lining their own pockets at the expense of people who live and work in London.

20/30 years ago it was very unusual for anyone to have a 2hr daily commute each way, now it is common place. I have lots of colleagues who live in different parts of the country and work in London and they are forced to stay in budget hotels or rented accommodation during the week at the expense of spending time with their families. Add to this the ridiculous costs of traveling by train in this country and it is hard not to see that the governments have failed in their duty to protect the quality of life of the people who elected them. And for what, so the economy can be artificially inflated due to rising house prices, to attract foreign money into the property market? It feels like a generation of people is being absolutely screwed so baby boomers, foreign investors and buy to let landlords can make a killing off of everyone else's misery. It is an absolutely shocking state of affairs and one that could be easily fixed but successive governments have refused to do so because a) half of them have a vested interest and b) they dont want to upset a key voting block by pushing down house prices to a sensible level.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

I know people who commute in from as far afield as Southampton or Milton Keynes. They could get work there, but they won't earn as much. They could live in London, but they won't have their five bed, double garage house. I have no sympathy for anyone complaining about their commute.

There's definitely a problem with housing though. Take the £700k flat in Balham. To be a first time buyer, you'll need £70k deposit, leaving you with £630k to finance. If banks offer mortgages based on three times one salary and one time the co-applicant, you would both need to earn in excess of £150k per year.

What's the chance of two people earning over £150k wanting to live in a two bed flat in Balham?

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

I know people who commute in from as far afield as Southampton or Milton Keynes. They could get work there, but they won't earn as much. They could live in London, but they won't have their five bed, double garage house. I have no sympathy for anyone complaining about their commute.

There's definitely a problem with housing though. Take the £700k flat in Balham. To be a first time buyer, you'll need £70k deposit, leaving you with £630k to finance. If banks offer mortgages based on three times one salary and one time the co-applicant, you would both need to earn in excess of £150k per year.

What's the chance of two people earning over £150k wanting to live in a two bed flat in Balham?

A lot of people have no choice but to work in London - they can't get a job elsewhere. A lot of industries are based in London with little or no market for certain jobs outside London.
    A lot of people have to commute because they cant afford anywhere in London, a point you make above. Its a bit harsh saying you have no sympathy for those who complain about their commute.

Banks typically offer 5 times a persons salary when getting a mortgage.

biZrb wrote: »
    A lot of people have no choice but to work in London - they can't get a job elsewhere. A lot of industries are based in London with little or no market for certain jobs outside London.
    A lot of people have to commute because they cant afford anywhere in London, a point you make above. Its a bit harsh saying you have no sympathy for those who complain about their commute.

I'd agree. What are you supposed to do if you have a family? Its nearly impossible to find a decent sized family home in and around London at a sensible price. Families are being forced further and further out of London and this has a detrimental effect on families as parents just do not see their children apart from weekends.

The housing crisis isn't just about housing. A lack of suitable housing and the breakdown of communities create all sorts of problems for society as a whole. We need to stop thinking about housing as an investment or an asset. Houses should first and foremost be considered homes. People should have a right to a suitable home and the government should have a duty to ensure that they create a suitable environment where homes are 1) of an appropriate size 2) of an appropriate quality and 3) an appropriate price. Governments have been negligent for years on this hence why we find ourselves in the situation we are today. Homes are poorly built (just look at any reviews of new build homes), are far too small and are vastly overpriced. Add to this most first time buyers are competing with cash buyers from abroad or from the buy to let market and you can see that for most people the situation looks pretty hopeless.

An article in the Guardian the other day which reports on a study that says under 35's face becoming permanent renters! Still the government does nothing of substance, they just keep tinkering around the edges instead of tackling the problem head on.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/feb/13/under-35s-in-the-uk-face-becoming-permanent-renters-warns-thinktank

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

biZrb wrote: »

Would you not think that those industries are the higher paid industries? If you want to excel in investment banking or in a media agency, then come to London. But if you are going to be flexible, why not do it in Southampton or Milton Keynes? I know many people in Watford, Harlow, Portsmouth working in industries that they would never have dreamed of, but they are now experts in their respective fields and are doing quite well.

Advertisement