Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cat eating x2 recommended daily food?

• 04-02-2016 12:45am

My cat is eating Royal Canin "Fit". Having researched them more I may get her the Sterilised food next time, as it says it is designed also for cats who are inclined to beg. My cat doesn't just beg, she eats and eats and eats and then begs. But she's still only 3.25kg, which she was six months ago! She's almost 2 years old.

The amount of food recommended by Royal Canin she goes through in minutes. She doesn't come begging for a few hours, but she definitely wants more later that day. If I give her smaller portions she isn't convinced and looks for more. She's not gaining any weight! She's extremely active. She was on the Outdoor food beforehand (for very active outdoor cats!) but eating twice her recommendation of that too. I'm not here a lot during the day but I heard she's known around the area for doing parkour inside the house and around. When I am here she is constantly stalking me and leaping out at me and running up curtains and tearing around.

I weigh her whenever I can keep her still enough and I can confidently say she's at a very ideal weight. Wondering if you guys with the qualifications can tell me, do you think it has been ok to overfeed her now while she is still young, and I should start to scale back how much she gets? Or follow my nose (and scales) with this one and keep feeding her the same amount as long as she doesn't start gaining weight?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

As long as she's not getting overweight you can feed her more; as she's very active she's burning it currently which is ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

If you think about it in human terms, a lot of really active people (athletes etc) eat way more than the recommended 2-2500 calories a day because they have to. I suppose it's probably the same for cats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Id base it on her weight gain, if she is burning it off then thats grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

just a thought - have you wormed her?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Cats don't tend to binge, unlike dogs. Dogs will eat more than they need, cats graze, eating lots of small meals through the day, but the vast majority will just eat enough for their needs. So I have always fed my cats to their needs, rather than recommendations from the food manufacturers.

• Advertisement

aonb wrote: »
    just a thought - have you wormed her?!

Ah, come on like! Wouldn't trust myself to take care of myself, never mind a cat, if that was even a consideration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

First off I know nothing about cat's veterinary issues but I'm just wondering if malabsorption problems are common in cats? Anyone know?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

First off I know nothing about cat's veterinary issues but I'm just wondering if malabsorption problems are common in cats? Anyone know?
    Not that common; in general cats tend to overeat on kibble (i.e. they'll eat more kibble then required over a longer time period).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I fed royal canin a few times and my lot all eat loads of it, I found it very expensive in the long run.
    I usually feed Applaws or taste of the wild dry and Bozita or other grain free wet food.
    They eat less of the grain free, it lasts longer, and stinky poop is less stinky (one has the worst smelling poop) but I alway free feed, only one of mine is a little heavy, but she looses it in summer when she's out more.

mymo wrote: »
    I fed royal canin a few times and my lot all eat loads of it, I found it very expensive in the long run.
    I usually feed Applaws or taste of the wild dry and Bozita or other grain free wet food.
    They eat less of the grain free, it lasts longer, and stinky poop is less stinky (one has the worst smelling poop) but I alway free feed, only one of mine is a little heavy, but she looses it in summer when she's out more.

Thanks! Meels doesn't use a tray so poo isn't a problem. I stopped feeding her wet food when the vet noticed it on her teeth when she was only 9 months. The pet shop I was working in reckoned Royal Canin is possibly the best dry food for cats. With just one cat its only costing me 40 for 3 months. The sealable bag means it stays fresh.

• Advertisement

Thanks! Meels doesn't use a tray so poo isn't a problem. I stopped feeding her wet food when the vet noticed it on her teeth when she was only 9 months. The pet shop I was working in reckoned Royal Canin is possibly the best dry food for cats. With just one cat its only costing me 40 for 3 months. The sealable bag means it stays fresh.
    Seriously get another source of information on cat food; RC is overpriced average at best food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I don't think wet food causes problems with teeth, mine get mixed diet and I have a 15 year old cat with very little tartar, the other 3 all have good teeth too, but I feed them a raw chicken wing (or drumstick for two of them) once a week or so.

I never trust advice from pet shops, a certain large pet chain worker told me Royal canin and hills were grain free when I asked if they had any grain free food, when I said no they weren't, I was told I didn't know what I was talking about and they were highly trained in pet nutrition. I pointed at the ingredients asked was corn/wheat/maize not a grain and walked out. Never been back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Only 70% of cats correctly regulate their food intake. Mine will binge and binge and binge if left so I can't free-feed them like most people do.

Hyperthyroidism isn't unheard of in young cats. Might be no harm to seek veterinary advice, particularly if she is drinking a lot of water as well? It's a remote possibility but might be good to rule it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Only 70% of cats correctly regulate their food intake. Mine will binge and binge and binge if left so I can't free-feed them like most people do.

Hyperthyroidism isn't unheard of in young cats. Might be no harm to seek veterinary advice, particularly if she is drinking a lot of water as well? It's a remote possibility but might be good to rule it out.

Ok, it turns out I am acquiring a cat, a neutered tom of 7 years, and he's obese. He's an outdoor cat, but since he'll have to do the 4 weeks inside when I get him, it'll probably be easiest to keep him indoor/outdoor like Amelia (if he wants this) when he's finally allowed out. Are there recommendations for food for two fixed adult cats who are indoor/outdoor? Royal Canin was affordable while feeding Amelia alone but I will need something better for two.

Ok, it turns out I am acquiring a cat, a neutered tom of 7 years, and he's obese. He's an outdoor cat, but since he'll have to do the 4 weeks inside when I get him, it'll probably be easiest to keep him indoor/outdoor like Amelia (if he wants this) when he's finally allowed out. Are there recommendations for food for two fixed adult cats who are indoor/outdoor? Royal Canin was affordable while feeding Amelia alone but I will need something better for two.
    RC do obesity kibble (Sterilised Appetite Control and Royal Canin Light Weight Care) but your mileage with it may vary (it's one of the few cases I'd consider RC). Another option we're currently trying is Concept for Life Light Adult which I believe is a Zoohit branded version. As we're still going through the initial bags we've not got a chance to confirm it either way.

Nody wrote: »
    RC do obesity kibble (Sterilised Appetite Control and Royal Canin Light Weight Care) but your mileage with it may vary (it's one of the few cases I'd consider RC). Another option we're currently trying is Concept for Life Light Adult which I believe is a Zoohit branded version. As we're still going through the initial bags we've not got a chance to confirm it either way.

I don't drive so I order what Petstop stock, because they do free delivery - hard to carry a 5kg bag two bus journeys. I might stick with the Royal Canin Sterilised for the time being, and check out what else they have.Thanks!

PS Budgies are going to a new home tomorrow. Nothing to do with new cat, but it was the toe up the hole I needed to finally get them to better living quarters. They're going to a communal aviary.

Advertisement