Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stuff You Got Wrong As A Kid

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭valoren

As a 4 year old I thought that the inside of your body was essentially hollow.
    And that you had to drink a sufficient amount of liquid so that it 'reached' your mickey, it was only then that you could urinate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

My mother was to blame for most of my misinformation - she was probably sick of me constantly asking questions.

e.g.

I asked how the holes got into holey cheese. She told me that worms ate their way through the cheese. When I asked how they got out, she told me that they died in there. When I asked what happened to their bodies, she told me that they decomposed so that you couldn't see them any more. I wouldn't eat cheese with holes for years.

When I asked why my great granny always wore long dresses or skirts, mum told me that she had three legs and she wore the long dress/ skirt to hide it. This led on to great-granny being a witch and having a cauldron in the cupboard. I was terrified of that cupboard til the poor old woman died.

If I ever have kids I plan to follow her example - if you don't know the answer, make up the most outrageous lie possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I remember when hearing about sex from a childhood friend being told that having sex always led to a baby, unless you wore a condom and then it was called "making love"...

I left that conversation with the notion that a condom was something like a test-tube and that "test tube babies" must have had something to do with that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭thattequilagirl

My parents are from Galway but I spent my childhood in Celbridge. Every day they would have this conversation about what they'd get for Tamara's dinner. I was killed wondering who was Tamara they were always buying dinner for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

8 Bit Girl wrote: »
    All the mammies in my village had short hair, coincidence I suppose but one day I realised this and started bawling, thinking id have to cut all my hair off when I got older too.
    Like it was some sort of requirement to be a mammy/older woman!

Gave my mother a good laugh with that one

Not that wrong. In recent years my mum's been on at me about being 'too old' for long hair any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

When a news reader would say, 'A body has been found...' I thought police had found literally just a torso - no head, no arms, no legs...

Haha I thought the exact same thing.

I also used to think Howth was part of Great Britain when you see it from Dun Laoghaire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Sleepy wrote: »
    I remember when hearing about sex from a childhood friend being told that having sex always led to a baby, unless you wore a condom and then it was called "making love"...

I left that conversation with the notion that a condom was something like a test-tube and that "test tube babies" must have had something to do with that!

The official line of information isn't any less confusing. I know a bloke who came out of our sex education session in 6th class convinced you had to urinate inside a girl to get her pregnant.

Still hasn't lived it down.

On a family holiday in France, my Dad and I were out alone together for lunch and stopped at one of those pavement cafes where Dad ordered a kind of chicken affair with ratatouille as a side dish.

After I'd eaten all the ratatouille, my darling Daddy told me it was called that because it was made out of rats. I remember sitting there looking at him in horror. With no warning at all, I puked all over the table, which is a pretty sensible thing to do if you have eaten a side order of rat. Dad didn't know whether to laugh or cry, but he got what he deserved anyway.

When I was about ten, Dad told me that Stillorgan was called that because they found a pit with hundreds of amputated willies in it, called the Pit of Still Organs. I totally believed him. I even told my teacher about this interesting bit of history. I can still picture her face.

Another time, he told me that you could make a person walk funny if you gave them a big enough surprise, and that this was the origin of the London phrase 'knocked bandy'. I nearly gave my Granny heart attack after heart attack, trying to knock her bandy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

My father brought me to watch LOI matches as a very young kid and i was convinced Shamrock Rovers was Ireland for some reason

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

You don't need to be a kid...Arranged to meet a friend in New York only to find her pacing over and back on the pavement.
    When I asked her about it she pointed to the No Standing At Anytime sign (meant for motorists)..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

My father brought me to watch LOI matches as a very young kid and i was convinced Shamrock Rovers was Ireland for some reason

When I was younger I seemed to think that EVERY Saturday Liverpool played Everton (brother was a Liverpool fan, cousins were Everton)

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭PIORUN

My parents are from Galway but I spent my childhood in Celbridge. Every day they would have this conversation about what they'd get for Tamara's dinner. I was killed wondering who was Tamara they were always buying dinner for.
    for years when i was young I though Galway was the place on the Clare hills with the 2 Golf Balls!

for years when i was young I thought Galway was the place on the Clare hills with the 2 Golf Balls!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

I used to think "Einbahnstrasse" was a place (I was 18 at the time!!!) and couldn't figure out for ages where the hell it was as the arrows on parallel streets would point you in different directions.

Then one day it dawned on me - One Way Street - thankfully I hadn't been driving in the weeks prior to this.

"Ausfahrt" was another - I thought it was a sign telling you to let one rip:):):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Not me, but my own child.

When the Chilean miners were trapped under ground a few years back (he was maybe 8 at the time) it was all over the news for weeks and one day we're talking about it at home and he's asking questions about how will they be rescued and what happened and so on. It's all very mature and informed.....until he says "how come none of their parents were there with them!" Only then I copped he'd no idea what a miner was - he thought the were minors, as in kids!:D

• Advertisement

my wife asked me was the movie The Martian based on a true story, last week!!!

Candie wrote: »
    On a family holiday in France, my Dad and I were out alone together for lunch and stopped at one of those pavement cafes where Dad ordered a kind of chicken affair with ratatouille as a side dish.

After I'd eaten all the ratatouille, my darling Daddy told me it was called that because it was made out of rats. I remember sitting there looking at him in horror. With no warning at all, I puked all over the table, which is a pretty sensible thing to do if you have eaten a side order of rat. Dad didn't know whether to laugh or cry, but he got what he deserved anyway.

When I was about ten, Dad told me that Stillorgan was called that because they found a pit with hundreds of amputated willies in it, called the Pit of Still Organs. I totally believed him. I even told my teacher about this interesting bit of history. I can still picture her face.

Another time, he told me that you could make a person walk funny if you gave them a big enough surprise, and that this was the origin of the London phrase 'knocked bandy'. I nearly gave my Granny heart attack after heart attack, trying to knock her bandy.

Your father sounds like a legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭brianomc

Don't get me started on 'Gorilla' Warfare. Dexterous, politicised, apes with machine guns, of course.

This, along with trading "arms" for hostages. Well it made sense to me at the time with footage of people losing limbs from landmines on tv. I never questioned if they needed legs too or where the arms came from either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

When I was about 4, I used to think that England was in Dublin. :confused: Apart from my grand appearance to the world in Holles Street hospital, I probably hadn't visited either. I never said it to anyone so I didn't embarrass myself, until now.

(And I could probably make some comment about West Brits but I won't. ;) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

You don't need to be a kid...Arranged to meet a friend in Ney York only to find her pacing over and back on the pavement.
    When I asked her about it she pointed to the No Standing sign (meant for motorists)..

I had to look that up myself, it sounded very confusing -

http://www.ehow.com/info_8275456_do-standing-signs-mean.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

RobertKK wrote: »
    I am sure other highly intelligence children had similar problems as this...

This is about other children not being up to my intelligence level.

When I was in 6th class in Primary school back in the last 1980s, we were doing geography and we came to talk about Sri Lanka. I put my hand up and said there was guerilla warfare going on in that country. Everyone laughed at me thinking I had said there were gorilla warfare there.
    So in their eyes I was wrong, and I was wrong for thinking they would know what I was talking about.
    What was worse was the teacher didn't understand either, or at the very least didn't want to explain if he did know...making me look stupid.

I once deliberately spelt " school" wrong for drama reasons when we were playing at being teachers.. skool.... One of the mothers saw it and giggled and I was humiliated...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

When I was young, I used to believe that the world was in black and white (from old movies/TV), and then suddenly the world just became colour one day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭valoren

I used to think that condoms were a preventative measure for pissing in the bed.
    You just put one on your willy and if you peed yourself then it would fill up like a water balloon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

As a child I thought birds lived in nests. At about 11 I was quite taken aback when I realised they used nests only for breeding and spent their nights in trees, bushes etc.

Teachers have a lot to answer for really.

Helpless laughing here! Thank you! and yes he deserved the rats coming back!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭storker

I had the Northern Ireland problem figured out by the time I was 10. If the IRA were so keen on being soldiers, I reasoned, then just let them all join the Irish Army and they could do it to their hearts' content. Seemples!

I remember one day in primary school when our teacher was out and the headmaster, a Christian Brother, was supervising. He was rambling on about some subject I can't even remember, but what stuck in my mind was "...and then the man and woman get married and go off and commit mortal sin together." I couldn't figure out what he meant, but I had a mental image of a newly-married couple donning balaclavas and carrying shotguns into a bank. I found it confusing because, if it was so commonplace then why hadn't I heard about it before? I never asked anyone about it though. I think kids sometimes have an instinct about what to ask adults about, and what to leave alone.

Hammer89 wrote: »
    Your father sounds like a legend.

And he'd be the first to agree with you. :) He is good fun alright!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

I used to think every football team had a player called the equaliser

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I once had a fight with a good childhood friend over him saying the Earth was round. I insisted it was shaped like a box, slaps were then exchanged and regrettably I won.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

When I was about 8 I saw these http://www.staples-3p.com/s7/is/image/Staples/s0395727_sc7?$splssku$

in my cousins house - and thought they were condoms :D:D:D:D

As a child I thought birds lived in nests. At about 11 I was quite taken aback when I realised they used nests only for breeding and spent their nights in trees, bushes etc.

Teachers have a lot to answer for really.
    huh, they don't???? mind blown!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

Bronski Beat

Small town boy.

I remember watching the video as a kid.
    I thought it was about a guy who thought he made a new friend,but the friend decided to turn on him,he was feeling so rejected he decided to run away from home.

It wasn't until I seen the video on YouTube year's later.
    I came to the realization there was more to it than the innocence of my childhood mind.

Always liked his music,I still do.

When I was about 8 I saw these http://www.staples-3p.com/s7/is/image/Staples/s0395727_sc7?$splssku$

in my cousins house - and thought they were condoms :D:D:D:D

They're condoms for Asian men.

PIORUN wrote: »
    for years when i was young I though Galway was the place on the Clare hills with the 2 Golf Balls!

Have read this several times and I still don't get it :confused:

... then there was the time ( I was 7 I think) when we were camping in Menton, France and were walking down steps to the beach with other campers...All in swimming gear. I stared at the man walking nearest me and asked why he had tennis balls in his swimming trunks...Everyone went very quiet. And no one explained...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

My mum had a very old,very cantankerous red mini when I was very small , 3 to around 5. We would have to get into it around 10 minutes before it would actually deign to start up. My mum would be there turning the key going "come on, come on, COME ON!!". I on the other hand would be in the back talking to the car, encouraging it saying things like "please start, just today, we love you so much,you're the best car in the world,you can have a big rest later" etc and I fully believed it was my gentle coaxing that would persuade it to start in the end.
    When it would start I would be like "see, you just had to be nice to it mam!".

My mum had a very old,very cantankerous red mini when I was very small , 3 to around 5. We would have to get into it around 10 minutes before it would actually deign to start up. My mum would be there turning the key going "come on, come on, COME ON!!". I on the other hand would be in the back talking to the car, encouraging it saying things like "please start, just today, we love you so much,you're the best car in the world,you can have a big rest later" etc and I fully believed it was my gentle coaxing that would persuade it to start in the end.
    When it would start I would be like "see, you just had to be nice to it mam!".

I love this so much. Children are beautifully innocent.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Lahinchians

Loving this thread!

One of the many: when I was very young, I was convinced that before the invention of colour tv the whole world lived in monochrome. Had many lengthy discussions with my mother about her life before the colour invasion! She always played along.

I had also managed to convince myself that dirty sex was just sex with your clothes on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭8 Bit Girl

When I was small I used to think that everyone in ads on the telly were only in the ad because they got a knock on their door and were asked if they wanted to do it. Like I thought any families in ads were actually related to eachother and it was their real house with limescale/needed air freshener...whatever the ad was about.

After a while I got fed up that nobody was knocking on our door asking if we wanted to be in their ad and said this, when one of my older brothers called me an egit and said thats not how they do it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

valoren wrote: »
    I used to think that condoms were a preventative measure for pissing in the bed.
    You just put one on your willy and if you peed yourself then it would fill up like a water balloon.

That was the catholic church desperately trying to get them used for anything but contraception :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭8 Bit Girl

Graces7 wrote: »
    ... then there was the time ( I was 7 I think) when we were camping in Menton, France and were walking down steps to the beach with other campers...All in swimming gear. I stared at the man walking nearest me and asked why he had tennis balls in his swimming trunks...Everyone went very quiet. And no one explained...

Loooooool!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

As a child I always said "forgive us our Pastilles..." when saying the Our Father. I had heard of pastilles but never of trespasses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

when I was very young, I was convinced that before the invention of colour tv the whole world lived in monochrome. Had many lengthy discussions with my mother about her life before the colour invasion! She always played along.

Snap!!!
    When I was young, I used to believe that the world was in black and white (from old movies/TV), and then suddenly the world just became colour one day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭JustShon

As a child I always said "forgive us our Pastilles..." when saying the Our Father. I had heard of pastilles but never of trespasses.

Similar one from me as a child. I thought we were asking forgiveness for the act of trespassing, y'know: being on someone's private property without their permission.

Had no idea why that one crime was featured in the Our Father, figured God just took people's private property very seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Jimmy Two Times

When I was about 4 my Granny had me convinced that she was Steve Heighway ( ex Liverpool and Rep of Ireland soccer player for those of you too young to remember him ).

She told me that she would fly over to Liverpool every Saturday morning,play her match and be home in time for us to visit that evening.

Talk about naive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Already mentioned a few posts above, but wasn't the world in black and white before the late 60's? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

8 Bit Girl wrote: »
    When I was small I used to think that everyone in ads on the telly were only in the ad because they got a knock on their door and were asked if they wanted to do it. Like I thought any families in ads were actually related to eachother and it was their real house with limescale/needed air freshener...whatever the ad was about.

After a while I got fed up that nobody was knocking on our door asking if we wanted to be in their ad and said this, when one of my older brothers called me an egit and said thats not how they do it!
    Depending on your age, that may not have been as silly an idea as your brothers may have believed:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I remember thinking about prayers for the "fatally" departed - I mean was there any other kind of departed.

I used think there was an 'Our Lady of Perpetual Soccer'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

When I was younger I used to pronounce the word subtle without silencing the "b".

Oh the ignominy!

• Advertisement
Advertisement