Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Manchester Marathon April 2016

Options
  • 04-02-2016 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭

Hi folks...am signed up to do this!! Have only ever done DCM in 2013. That was a disaster. Took off too fast and ended up doing 3:59 and not the 3.45 I trained for. Am up to 15 miles on my long run now. Doing 18 this weekend. During the week, I do a couple of tempo 5 miles, around 8:15 pace, although this is a bit of a struggle. I do 6X800's, working up to 10X800's. On my long runs, I generally incorporate hills. Where I live, it is pretty hard to avoid them. I would really love to get 3:30 but I know it is a bit ambitious. Do I have to run consistently for the 26 miles at a 8.00 pace?? Also, my longest run will be 20 miles....should I aim for a 22 miler?? any tips/advice would be great:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I would strongly suggest you follow a proper, structured training program instead of trying to come up with your own system.

There are plenty of good programs available for free (or at least in reasonably cheap books) and will almost certainly get you into better shape.

If you want to break 3:30 in the marathon you need to consistently run 8:00 pace over 26.2 miles, yes. However, it would be a big mistake to try and do the same over your long training runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭runningbuddy

Thanks a mill..yes, I am following a training plan - the only variation is, it recommends hill training session once a week but I'm pretty limited with my time during the week so I incorporate a hilly route into my weekly long run, which I know is not ideal:o. Dear God..no, I wouldn't contemplate running an 8 min pace on a long run...

How many days of the week are you running, if I may ask?

Hi there....it goes like this:pac:

Saturday - long run
    Sunday - rest (fit for nothing after long run!)
    Monday - 5 miles, last two at 8 min pace
    Tuesday - rest
    Wednesday - speed training (at the moment, 6X800s, working up to 10. These are at a 7:30 min pace
    Thursday - 5 miles - last two at 8 min pace
    Friday - rest

With work, kids, etc...that is all I can manage...a push at that, to be honest. On the plan, there is another 3 mile run in there but I just cannot fit it in.

Ok. You're doing about 30 miles per week at the moment, and if you push the long run out to 20 it would be about 35, is that right?

To be brutally honest, I can't see you break 3:30 with such a low mileage. It has been done, but it would be exceptionally rare.

I have a full time job, 4 kids and I manage to run 7 days a week by getting up around 6 am on most days. It can be done, it's if you want to do it that;s usually the question.

Oh, and just to have this on topic, I'm doing Manchester as well this year. :) It's my goal race this spring.

• Advertisement

Yes...the longest run will be 20. How are you doing?? What time are you hoping for? Anything is possible I suppose:D....I will aim for the 3:45. I hear you, if you are determined, you will make the time. To be honest, mentally, I could not run 7 days per week. I would just find it too tough:(. I'm worried about injury too. I trained for DCM 2013 and trained v.hard but injured myself 3 weeks before the race. This fear holds me back a bit too.

I expect to break 3 hours and if the stars all align then maybe break 2:55, but that would require the next few weeks all going very well as well as having a good day.

I got all kinds of injuries in my first 2 years of running but once my body had adapted to the pounding of the road, things improved markedly - I've had only one single injury in 8 years.

Wow:D...hope all holds up. Supposed to be a nice course...have felt like crap for the past 2 weeks, flu but still managing with the training...prob.not a good idea but don't want to fall behind!

The Manchester course is supposed to be very fast and the race very well organised, which is why I picked that one for my goal race. That, and the high standard - whatever the pace I'll manage there will be plenty of other runners to work with.

Be very careful when running with a cold/flu. I'm only just coming back after taking a few days off. If you worsen your cold you'd be much better off taking a short break and recover.

Yeah..I know you are right. I have been feeling awful...did my speed training last night 6x800 and felt like **** today...def in bed early. It's weird...when I miss a day on the plan...I get into panic mode!! The 18 miler at the weekend so Im hoping to be okay for that!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭gosh123

Signed up to do this to hope to break 3hrs after a failed attempt in dcm just gone. trainings goin great ran a 5mile pb just sunday of 29 47 so feeling a bit confidant of breaking 3 hrs once I pace it right. Is the course really as fast and flat as advertised anyone here run the course before

gosh123 wrote: »
    Is the course really as fast and flat as advertised anyone here run the course before

I haven't but a friend of mine ran it last year and she broke 3 hours for the first time. She said it was completely flat. Apparently it is the UK's flattest marathon.

Slight note of warning: a flat course still doesn't guarantee a PB. :)

I haven't but a friend of mine ran it last year and she broke 3 hours for the first time. She said it was completely flat. Apparently it is the UK's flattest marathon.

Slight note of warning: a flat course still doesn't guarantee a PB. :)

Ye I know I had myself convinced before dcm I'd do sub 3 only for it to fall apart on me about 16 miles thought it was a good idea to leave the pacers at mile 9.
    il be alot more cautious about my sub 3hrs attempt this time around wil have to be disciplined pace wise cause it wil be easy to get carried away and up the pace early on especially wit the course as flat as the say it is.
    You goin for sub 3 yourself hopefully both of us make it

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭wobblemouth

I ran this marathon in 2014 - its pancake flat (topical:)).

Its around the greater Manchester area so brings you through some towns outside the city before finishing at Old Trafford. I see they've slightly altered finish location this year. Not massive crowds on the route, but pretty well supported and well organised. Plenty of water and toilets and good transport links to and from start/finish.

I might go for it again this year! Managed a 2.59 marathon last year, so might try and shave a bit off that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Did anyone ever find out if the course was accurate last year there was a lot of speculation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

youngrun wrote: »
    Did anyone ever find out if the course was accurate last year there was a lot of speculation

I don't believe there was ever enough evidence to suggest the course was short. Apart from gps readings which would also suggest that Berlin is 400 to 500 meters long there was no reason to doubt. Apparantly Manchester has a number of 180 turns which always seem to confuse gps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭ooter

Ok. You're doing about 30 miles per week at the moment, and if you push the long run out to 20 it would be about 35, is that right?

To be brutally honest, I can't see you break 3:30 with such a low mileage. It has been done, but it would be exceptionally rare.

It can be done, when I started training for my first marathon 3 years ago the furthest I'd ever ran was 10k, I followed the Hal higdon novice 1 plan which is 4 runs a week and the highest weekly mileage is 40 in week 15.
    Don't know how old the OP is but I'm no spring chicken and I went sub 3:30.

I'm 43 Ooter...no spring chicken..that's for sure!! I'm doing 4 runs per week but none of them v.long, except of course for the biggie at the weekends. I may aim for sub 3:45:D.. I'm impressed with my speed training (if I say so myself!!). I am up to 8X800's, each one at 3mins50secs...I'm aiming to do 10. Didn't think I could manage these but can.

What sort of pace are you doing your long runs, the fact you're saying you're fit for nothing the day after a long run is surprising?

Hi Ooter...my pace for the long runs is 9:30...when I say, fit for nothing, I mean not fit to run...I tend to use the foam roller, do some stretches the day after the long run:pac:

• Advertisement

Hi Ooter...my pace for the long runs is 9:30...when I say, fit for nothing, I mean not fit to run...I tend to use the foam roller, do some stretches the day after the long run:pac:

I'm by no means an expert and pick things up as I go along but I would've thought that was a bit fast for your long run if you're aiming for sub 3:45, 10-11 mins per mile would be more suitable in my opinion and throw in a few MP miles at the end.
    My long run this weekend will be 14 miles with 10 miles at 9-10 min pace and 4 at the end at MP and I'm 10 weeks out from my marathon and hoping to go sub 3:15.

That is good to hear Ooter!! I'm down for the 18miler this weekend so I'll take it down a notch. I did 16 at the weekend and didn't feel as sore afterwards. You doing Manchester too??

That is good to hear Ooter!! I'm down for the 18miler this weekend so I'll take it down a notch. I did 16 at the weekend and didn't feel as sore afterwards. You doing Manchester too??

No, London 2 weeks later.
    See if you can throw a few MP miles in at the end of your 18 miler this weekend.

Thanks Ooter...I will. Best of luck with your training too:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Would love to do this one. Timing doesn't suit though. Must be tough doing a marathon prog at this time of the year. Weather is cat!

How a we all doing? I did 22 on Saturday and enjoyed every mile:D...could have run more!! This has never happened to me!! I have a really antsy feeling now....is this normal?? Want to run non stop at the minute but know I must taper

How a we all doing? I did 22 on Saturday and enjoyed every mile:D...could have run more!! This has never happened to me!! I have a really antsy feeling now....is this normal?? Want to run non stop at the minute but know I must taper

Trainings been goin great with me to knocked out a 5km 10km 5mile and hm pbs al through my marathon training programme buzzing myself for manchester. Try and enjoy tapering save the legs for the big day great to see ur enjoying ur longruns

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

gosh123 wrote: »
    Signed up to do this to hope to break 3hrs after a failed attempt in dcm just gone. trainings goin great ran a 5mile pb just sunday of 29 47 so feeling a bit confidant of breaking 3 hrs once I pace it right. Is the course really as fast and flat as advertised anyone here run the course before

I done it in 2014, the course is flat - the only elevation is a bridge that you go over twice - apart from that, theres no hills.
    Its also a certified course, but your Garmin will read 26.1 or so - there are a few 'about turns' alright - which are kinda cool as you can watch both the leaders on 1 side and the waves of people coming when you take the turn.

The mileage signs aren't well positioned, so be aware of where you are in the race, especially towards the end.

Watch out for snipers - they shoot at your hamstrings at 25 miles - causing you to miss your sub 3 goal by 37 seconds............but I'm not bitter :)

there's also some good Irish pubs in Manchester town center.

I done it in 2014, the course is flat - the only elevation is a bridge that you go over twice - apart from that, theres no hills.
    Its also a certified course, but your Garmin will read 26.1 or so - there are a few 'about turns' alright - which are kinda cool as you can watch both the leaders on 1 side and the waves of people coming when you take the turn.

The mileage signs aren't well positioned, so be aware of where you are in the race, especially towards the end.

Watch out for snipers - they shoot at your hamstrings at 25 miles - causing you to miss your sub 3 goal by 37 seconds............but I'm not bitter :)

Thanks for the information. My heart stopped a bit when u said u missed ur sub 3 by 37 seconds have u gone on to break it since.
    My mind drifts into dreaming of a 2 55 or better sub 3hrs wil be my main aim and pacing it right

• Advertisement

Thanks for the information. My heart stopped a bit when u said u missed ur sub 3 by 37 seconds have u gone on to break it since.
    My mind drifts into dreaming of a 2 55 or better sub 3hrs wil be my main aim and pacing it right

Advertisement