Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Manchester Marathon April 2016

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭gosh123

Thank you. :) Having said that, my initial words after finishing were unprintable.

Had to battle cramps at the end and didn't realise that the sub-3 pacer, who caught me at 23 miles, was behind pace but the one and only reason why it wasn't a sub-3 today was that I ran too slowly.

Great race, though. :) I may well be back.

Good running al the same I'd probably of reacted the same as u at the end if I hadn't ran sub 3 we can get to wrapped up with sub 3hrs last year I was obsessed I had to do it and ran 3hr 20 in dcm I was gutted for weeks don't let it affect u like it did me u still ran a good marathon. Interesting u say the pacer was behind pace I left him at mile 14 a bit paranoid over this did he cross the line in sub 3hrs do u know II didn notice him when I finished

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

gosh123 wrote: »
    Good running al the same I'd probably of reacted the same as u at the end if I hadn't ran sub 3 we can get to wrapped up with sub 3hrs last year I was obsessed I had to do it and ran 3hr 20 in dcm I was gutted for weeks don't let it affect u like it did me u still ran a good marathon. Interesting u say the pacer was behind pace I left him at mile 14 a bit paranoid over this did he cross the line in sub 3hrs do u know II didn notice him when I finished

First of all, well done, massive congratulations!

The pacer must have gone all-out over the last mile. I think he just dropped everyone still with him at the time. My final mile split was 6:50 (just couldn't go any faster with the cramps) and I still lost 20-30 seconds to him on that stretch. He finished about 30 or 40 seconds after 3 hours, with me those further 20-30 seconds behind him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

That was an interesting trot around Manchester, one of those days when it didn't really click, kept grinding it out hoping to find a second wind that never came, 2nd half was survival mode trying to minimize time leakage, while trying in vain to puke on the run. Will stick up a report in a few days.

First of all, well done, massive congratulations!

The pacer must have gone all-out over the last mile. I think he just dropped everyone still with him at the time. My final mile split was 6:50 (just couldn't go any faster with the cramps) and I still lost 20-30 seconds to him on that stretch. He finished about 30 or 40 seconds after 3 hours, with me those further 20-30 seconds behind him.

Thanks ye I suffered cramp to last 3 miles I had to slow my pace and it passed I was lucky I made time wen I left the pace between 14 and 23 miles. He had a good group with him to the pacer chatted with a few of them first 13 miles glad I didn't stay with him any longer now hearing that.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    That was an interesting trot around Manchester, one of those days when it didn't really click, kept grinding it out hoping to find a second wind that never came, 2nd half was survival mode trying to minimize time leakage, while trying in vain to puke on the run. Will stick up a report in a few days.

Felt a bit the same I was following a different race plan to u but when I finally upped the pace at 14miles I didn have that kick I expected was just happy to do sub 3hrs in the end and ye I was in survival mode last 3 miles myself weldone on ur time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

I see the organisers taking a lot of stick on social media about baggage collection after the race, people having to queue over 2 hours :eek: they had problems with this when i did it in 2012, worrying it's still an issue now

Well done to all here who ran, some great times there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭runningbuddy

I did 3:46:10....and loved every minute:pac:...a great race but the organisation wasn't great to be honest...a lot of complaining on the flight home...anyone know where we can access photos??

I did 3:46:10....and loved every minute:pac:...a great race but the organisation wasn't great to be honest...a lot of complaining on the flight home...anyone know where we can access photos??

Only link I seen was finisher pix and don't think there ready yet. Weldone yesterday great run

Thanks gosh,..organisers are taking a hammering...I didn't leave anything in baggage area...had a pal holding on to my stuff...but Jesus, not good..a pity because it's a fab race

Thanks gosh,..organisers are taking a hammering...I didn't leave anything in baggage area...had a pal holding on to my stuff...but Jesus, not good..a pity because it's a fab race

Ye I didn't use it either I'd left my hotel wasn't far from the event ye I enjoyed the run only criticism I'd have is to why they had traffic cones along the double yellow lines on the Rds found them a hazard other than that found it a good marathon I would do again

• Advertisement

Gosh....just see you did a sub 3...wow...you must be on a high

Gosh....just see you did a sub 3...wow...you must be on a high

Ye I'm delighted Iv been chasing it best part of a year didn do it in dcm why I signed up for this one

gosh123 wrote: »
    Ye I'm delighted Iv been chasing it best part of a year didn do it in dcm why I signed up for this one

It's awesome....you should be v.proud:)....def a great race...will be back, hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭wpd

Pros

very friendly and encouraging crowd
    Good water and gel stations
    great atmosphere on run

Cons

due to traffic jams going to car parks abandoned taxi and walked 5 miles to start
    after waiting 30 mins to leave in bags at bag drop chaos were told to leave them on ground
    Route involves a lot of long straight roads which then comeback on themselves
    Finishing area is rubbish- participants and crowds mixed 10 metres after finish
    and finally a 3 hour wait to get back bag from bag drop

won't be back there is a lot better organised events

I agree WPD...only my second marathon so don't have a lot to go on but yesterday seemed v.poorly organised ....a real shame because the support, route, etc...is fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

wpd wrote: »
    due to traffic jams going to car parks abandoned taxi and walked 5 miles to start
    after waiting 30 mins to leave in bags at bag drop chaos were told to leave them on ground
    Route involves a lot of long straight roads which then comeback on themselves
    Finishing area is rubbish- participants and crowds mixed 10 metres after finish
    and finally a 3 hour wait to get back bag from bag drop

I, on the other hand:

- got there early and had no problems
    - did not need the bag drop
    - route was clearly advertised beforehand. Main thing was it was exceptionally flat
    - finishing area was perfectly fine.

Bag drop looks like it was a complete disaster, so I avoided that by chance. All the other aspects were fine as far as I can tell. I'll most likely be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

U find any other links to photos the ones on finisher pix are not great at al"

Few found on Flickr, could also try other photo sites: https://www.flickr.com/search/?text=manchester%20marathon&min_taken_date=1460156400&max_taken_date=1460415599

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭Jnealon

youngrun wrote: »
    Did anyone ever find out if the course was accurate last year there was a lot of speculation

Here you go,
    http://coursemeasurement.org.uk/investigations/manchestermarathon.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭wobblemouth

Incompetent feckers. Guess I didn't run that marathon in 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

London Marathon adding 2 mins to Manchester times for GFA entries.

Is it 2014/2015 ones that are affected?? What about 2016??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

2016 event course / times are not effected by the balls up with the course distance, as they corrected it for the 2016 course.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Very disappointing. I reckon all races should be obliged to publish the measurement cert and course map online in detail , errors not confined to big city marathons, i reckon 10% of races I have done over the years have been short , and there are still a good few around , you'd know by the times of fellow runners which ones these are..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

youngrun wrote: »
    Very disappointing. I reckon all races should be obliged to publish the measurement cert and course map online in detail , errors not confined to big city marathons, i reckon 10% of races I have done over the years have been short , and there are still a good few around , you'd know by the times of fellow runners which ones these are..

The certificate was correct, and the route matched the measured route correctly. In some recent cases seeing the measured route would have highlighted the error, such as a couple of Welsh half marathons over the last few years where they put cones in the wrong place or ran round the wrong edge of a field. For Manchester this wouldn't have shown any error as it was the calibration of the measuring tape that was the fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

I was sent an email with an updated time. This is very strange. I didn't run the distance - how can they give me a time? It's meaningless...

Dear Cormac,

We want to keep you updated with developments regarding the Greater Manchester Marathon course in 2013, 2014 and 2015.
    Firstly, we would like to thank those of you who have taken the time to get in touch with us. We want to let you know how sorry we are to hear of the impact that it has had.

The Association of UK Course Measurers (AUKCM) is the UK’s official course measurer. We remain very upset about the situation and are currently in discussions with the AUKCM. We will let you know as soon as we have any further information. When a course is measured and certified, that certificate is valid for 10 years as long as the course remains the same. The short distance was only highlighted after the 2015 race which is why there are 3 races affected by this error. Unfortunately, in the last 24 hours, it has transpired that there are many other races affected by this error across the North West.

Going forward, we appreciate that many of you have explained to us that you are less concerned about who might be responsible and more interested in the implications you may personally have as a result of running a short marathon. You have asked us how we intend to go about rectifying these. Here is what we are doing now:
    • We are working to see if the results from the Greater Manchester Marathons for 2013, 2014 and 2015 can still be included in records such as the Power of 10;
    • We are working with other event organisers to see if your results from the 2015 event can qualify you for these respective events;
    • We are aware that Virgin Money London Marathon has accepted GFA results with time added from 2015 for qualification for the 2017 Virgin Money London Marathon

We have worked with our race result service providers to provide you with an updated time for the event. We have used the short distance and your pace in the last 6 miles to calculate your full distance time.

Your original 2014 time was 03:47:30
    Your adjusted 2014 time is 03:49:46

We cannot put into words how upsetting this situation has been for our whole team. It was never our intention for the event to be affected as it has been.
    Once we have further news we will communicate this via our website and social media. We thank you for your continued co-operation and patience.

Best regards

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

robinph wrote: »
    The certificate was correct, and the route matched the measured route correctly. In some recent cases seeing the measured route would have highlighted the error, such as a couple of Welsh half marathons over the last few years where they put cones in the wrong place or ran round the wrong edge of a field. For Manchester this wouldn't have shown any error as it was the calibration of the measuring tape that was the fault.

Fair enough. There are still some races I suspect though arent measured other than by garmin or driving around , might help in this regard...!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Beef wrote: »
    I was sent an email with an updated time. This is very strange. I didn't run the distance - how can they give me a time? It's meaningless...

Rankings on the likes of PowerOf10 and RunBritain, whilst meaningless, are also not meaningless. People do care about where they are listed in these kind of sites, the same way someone cares about their PB or their golf handicap.

Yes, it is not genuinely a PB, but where people have used their Manchester times for getting GFA for London it does matter. If they have the same success with the likes of Boston is another matter as Boston will not care how a bunch of people from northern England are effected by their qualification times, but I suspect that is part of why they are trying to keep the times listed on PowerOf10 so they don't piss off too many people wanting Boston times.

Wonder if London will accept times for the Championship entries or not though?

Seems that Trafford 10km has been 100m short for ages as well, due the the same miss measurement of one particular road that was used for calibration:

http://www.athleticsweekly.com/featured/trafford-10k-course-falls-short-42652/

• Advertisement
Advertisement