Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork North Central: #GE16

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭applehunter

Going a bit OTT.

Is his wife your ex or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Going a bit OTT.

Is his wife your ex or what?

I'm a good 20 years younger than her

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

I'm calling FF 1, SF 2 and Mick Barry.

Hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

Got Green too! Throw a few bob on the Greens I'd say :p

Green for me too, I smell a rat! Ironically I used to vote green but every time I have to breath a lungful of carcinogenic diesel exhaust when I'm out for a jog it reminds me why I'll never vote for them again.

• Advertisement

opus wrote: »
    Green for me too, I smell a rat! Ironically I used to vote green but every time I have to breath a lungful of carcinogenic diesel exhaust when I'm out for a jog it reminds me why I'll never vote for them again.

Ah gwan! Vote Oliver Moran. Eamon Ryan will thank you if he gets back into government.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

KC161 wrote: »
    He is a snakey 2 faced cnut who couldn't run a catering business yet gets a ministerial job. That says alot really. He won't reach the quota but will probably get over the line on transfers. Time to change the system to first past the post. Neither he nor Lynch have knocked on my door,sent canvassers or even sent junk mail. Yet they still expect to be returned. Fine Gael have bever had 2 consecutive terms on office but i fear they will by saturday.

So bigger parties/candidates can further cement their places, as voting on minority/new candidates would be a wasted vote? And end up like the UK, where a third of the vote can win you a majority of the seats? No thanks.

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    So bigger parties/candidates can further cement their places, as voting on minority/new candidates would be a wasted vote? And end up like the UK, where a third of the vote can win you a majority of the seats? No thanks.

Not necessarily. Other smaller candidates who got more first preferences in previous elections did not get in due to transfer pacts between the bigger parties. No thanks to that i say.

increase the seats and reduce the wages/expenses. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

He is a snakey 2 faced cnut who couldn't run a catering business yet gets a ministerial job. That says alot really. He won't reach the quota but will probably get over the line on transfers. Time to change the system to first past the post. Neither he nor Lynch have knocked on my door,sent canvassers or even sent junk mail. Yet they still expect to be returned. Fine Gael have bever had 2 consecutive terms on office but i fear they will by saturday. Not a happy voter.

Get off the f**kin fence man
    :)

Get off the f**kin fence man
    :)

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭tuch

Does anyone think that the young gender quota wan from Bandon has a chance of taking the FG seat?

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bridgettedon

tuch wrote: »
    Does anyone think that the young gender quota wan from Bandon has a chance of taking the FG seat?

It's ridiculous that gender quotas even enter the picture. People want good candidates, not just candidates who are there to tick the correct boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Not necessarily. Other smaller candidates who got more first preferences in previous elections did not get in due to transfer pacts between the bigger parties. No thanks to that i say.

Middling candidates, maybe. But anyone below that, who isn't near getting in, it'd be a vote wasted. PR-STV allows for you to vote for the one you really want, regardless of his chances of getting in, whilst also saying which of the bigger candidates you'd prefer as an alternative. It gives you choice, by recognising that people will generally have a list of preferred candidates. FPTP assumes that everyone only ever likes one candidate.

"Transfer pacts" are only relevant insofar as the voter chooses. They don't have to put certain parties/candidates closely affiliated as their first/second prefs if they don't want to. If it does happen (eg, Labour benefiting from FG's transfers or vice versa), then it's only because that's what the electorate wanted. And that's why it's more democratic than FPTP, because you have the majority of the electorate choosing the majority parties. Not a minority of the electorate voting in a majority of candidates like the UK.

Anyone at the tally?

How's Ollie getting on?

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

Not at the tally but according to the Journal live blog, "Billy Kelleher is expected to top the poll" :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Billy top

Mick Barry a clear 2nd apparently

Jonothin o Bruen safely in third

Dara Murphy not polling well. Julie o Leary doing better than expected. Not heard anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

My polling card had the wrong address on it.
    It had the name of the school correct so after going to the wrong address, I easily found the correct location.
    But if I had been rushing to make the 10 o clock deadline, I would have been unable to vote.

I'd love to know who's responsible for that cock up.

• Advertisement

gimmick wrote: »
    Billy top

Mick Barry a clear 2nd apparently

Jonothin o Bruen safely in third

Dara Murphy not polling well. Julie o Leary doing better than expected. Not heard anything else.

Looks like Dara will pip Kathleen for 4th
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/election2016/electionresults/more/647/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭CZ 453

Dara elected

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭P.lane78

CZ 453 wrote: »
    Dara elected

Barely....without his running mate he was in real trouble

Dara elected

Garda taxi to leinster house on March 10th then. In the event of it being an ordinary taxi lets hope it has tax and NCT or he'll start whinging.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

My polling card had the wrong address on it.
    It had the name of the school correct so after going to the wrong address, I easily found the correct location.
    But if I had been rushing to make the 10 o clock deadline, I would have been unable to vote.

Hmm I never got a polling card which was strange cause one showed up for the referendum last year. Luckily I knew that the polling station was the North Pres primary school so had no problems once I got there.

Dara elected

fell over the line eventually.
    no thanks to me.

No Lab TD or Cllr in Cork now?
    only one Senator

Jeez lads, whatever you're doing, you're doing it wrong!

fell over the line eventually.
    no thanks to me.

No Lab TD or Cllr in Cork now?
    only one Senator

Jeez lads, whatever you're doing, you're doing it wrong!

Sean Sherlock got back in. Only TD in Cork for Labour. Who is the senator?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

P.lane78 wrote: »
    Barely....without his running mate he was in real trouble

Without his running mate he probably would have got in easier since all her 1st preferences would have probably transferred to him no?

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭P.lane78

leahyl wrote: »
    Without his running mate he probably would have got in easier since all her 1st preferences would have probably transferred to him no?

Likewise if Dara Murphy wasn't running Julie o leary would have been elected imo. He didnt reach a quota and once he was ahead of julie he was home and hosed. She did well in this election.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭CZ 453

P.lane78 wrote: »
    Likewise if Dara Murphy wasn't running Julie o leary would have been elected imo. He didnt reach a quota and once he was ahead of julie he was home and hosed. She did well in this election.

And hopefully she'll get in the next time around.

Advertisement