Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foreign Exchange

• 04-02-2016 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

I'm going to the states soon and I don't know who is the best to exchange currency with, either the post office using their cards or straight cash exchange or my bank using cards or again cash exchange. Can any one tell me which way is the cheapest and more beneficial. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭dohouch

I'm going to the states soon and I don't know who is the best to exchange currency with, either the post office using their cards or straight cash exchange or my bank using cards or again cash exchange. Can any one tell me which way is the cheapest and more beneficial. Thanks

try Revolut, but will take a while to get card

🧐IMHO, God wants us all to ENJOY (not just gobble down!) many,many ice-creams , 🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭sm3ar

What bureaus offer the best rate in the country for exchanging cash? Is there any comparison site online?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

sm3ar wrote: »
    What bureaus offer the best rate in the country for exchanging cash? Is there any comparison site online?

Don't use a bureau for FX'es. They all charge extortionate rates.

Ideally in order of best options:
    (1) Use a Revolut card abroad.
    (2) Use a N26 card abroad.
    (3) Use your credit card abroad.
    (4) Use your debit card abroad.

I have foreign cash to convert to euro. Where can I get the best rate to exchange that?

I have foreign cash to convert to euro. Where can I get the best rate to exchange that?

All bureaus will screw you.

- How much do you have?
    - Will you be going back to the relevant country in the future? (i.e. Is it worth holding on to the cash?).
    - Do you know anyone going to the relevant country that you could sell the cash to?

• Advertisement

JTMan wrote: »
    All bureaus will screw you.

- How much do you have?
    - Will you be going back to the relevant country in the future? (i.e. Is it worth holding on to the cash?).
    - Do you know anyone going to the relevant country that you could sell the cash to?

I am aware that bureaus have to take a cut. What I am looking for is the one offering the best rate.

I am aware that bureaus have to take a cut. What I am looking for is the one offering the best rate.

You need to consider both rate and fees. The rates vary daily / intra-day so it is difficult to day who offers the best rates. Shop around.

JTMan wrote: »
    You need to consider both rate and fees. The rates vary daily / intra-day so it is difficult to day who offers the best rates. Shop around.

Do the post office buy dollars and sterling?

Do the post office buy dollars and sterling?

Yes. An Post apply a large margin fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

As others have said all exchanges will screw you. I keep a US$ acc active in my local bank so it isn't lying around the house, plus it's there for when I'm heading where the US$ is common.

Plus if you know any americans visiting you could do a swapsy

• Advertisement
Advertisement